What's everybody up to?

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
What happened to the other eight?! It's nice to see classic Joes get some love.

I want to do some kind of old school joe display, but I'm partial to swivel arm versions of the '82 class.
I have the swivel arm version of a few and then my favorite Joes from <‘87 that I’m trying to figure out. I can get away with 1 more box on the wall.

EA328198-E6BE-4BA1-88E5-3A3E657F9BEF.jpeg

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
That's a nice batch!
Hawk is standing in for Footloose, but yeah all my very favorites from childhood. It was quite the stroll down memory lane browsing the years on YO Joe to identify them and then hunting down near perfect versions on ebay for cheap BIN prices.

Thank you Hasbro “Retro” figures for motivating me to start this quest with pure disappointment fuel.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I went through a retro joe phase.. actually right after the 25th line came back, and thats what led me to hisstank in the first place. Getting the retro stuff just didn't do much for me though, the figures were OK but the 25th line felt so much more superior and the vehicles were just so damn small in my now-adult hands, which led me to 1:18th.

I'd be curious if it'd hit me any different now, but I still have like 5 boxes of ARAH crap I'm trying to offload (vehicles and stuff). I had a ton of figures with broken O-rings and gave them to someone local who said he'd fix them.. and then absconded off with them... sigh.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
It's tough to go back after seeing what modern technology has done to bring more dimension, detail and a more lifelike appearance to pretty much all the old favorites (figures at least). I still have a soft spot for some of the old stuff, particularly when put on display nicely somewhere, but can't see ever going back to the old O-ring Joes myself.

At this point, having gotten my first couple 6" figs, I doubt I'll ever return to 3-3/4" at all. And, while some still remain amazingly creative for their time, I've pretty much written off all the vehicles at this point. Even with the 25th vehicles, SW did such a better job with detailed, truer scale vehicles than Joe ever did or likely ever will.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
25th’s are definitely what sucked me in and I never understood the Hisstank collectors of O-rings. The thought of Hasbro releasing O-ring Joes in the retro line got me wanting a few to mess around with and that’s what sent me to ebay. Receiving my glossy clean ’83 Grunt 2 weeks ago filled my heart in a way that no toy has in my adult life and I can only think it’s directly tied to being the actual toy I played with. I have several G1 reproductions and they hold very little nostalgia, I much prefer the modern Transformers. The good thing about the vintage toys is I’ve already grabbed my dozen favorites and am halfway done getting them behind glass and on the wall. They require 0 shelf space and less = more when it comes to displaying them. It’s really easy to focus on 10 individuals hanging than it is on 100 standing in rows on shelves.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
25th’s are definitely what sucked me in and I never understood the Hisstank collectors of O-rings. The thought of Hasbro releasing O-ring Joes in the retro line got me wanting a few to mess around with and that’s what sent me to ebay. Receiving my glossy clean ’83 Grunt 2 weeks ago filled my heart in a way that no toy has in my adult life and I can only think it’s directly tied to being the actual toy I played with. I have several G1 reproductions and they hold very little nostalgia, I much prefer the modern Transformers. The good thing about the vintage toys is I’ve already grabbed my dozen favorites and am halfway done getting them behind glass and on the wall. They require 0 shelf space and less = more when it comes to displaying them. It’s really easy to focus on 10 individuals hanging than it is on 100 standing in rows on shelves.
I would definitely like a set like yours though, since MOC classics are way too expensive.

If the 'retro' like was the old figures on imitation cardbacks, like the vintage collection, I'd probably have gotten those to display.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Building up that hope of brand new o-rings from Hasbro like the retro SW and TF lines made me crave them. Every time I saw a vintage o-ring in a comic shop they were always scratched and dirty as they should be after 30yrs and turned me off. Finding a reasonable seller with exceptional ‘83 figures got me over the hump on buying used. I just made sure to keep my average figure price to $25.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I would definitely like a set like yours though, since MOC classics are way too expensive.

If the 'retro' like was the old figures on imitation cardbacks, like the vintage collection, I'd probably have gotten those to display.
I did the MOC collection once, and it was fun AND crazy expensive. But then I sold it because I feared the o-rings breaking and making them worthless... and private school tuition wasn't cheap either. But I made so much profit that paypal reported my earnings to the IRS. That's a good problem I suppose. :/

However, I did take pictures for posterity. One of these days I'll finish posting '86, '87, and a massive number of foreign figs I had in the collection:

But like you, I would jump on reproduction o-ring figs on classic cardbacks. I miss my wall-o-nostalgia (although I kept all the MIB vehicles, so I still have that part). I ordered the new WM figures because I like that the logo is larger and borderless, far more like the original than the 25th logo. But the new figs themselves do little for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: pcsguy88 and NSA

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
No offense to the MOC folks, but your display just looks like more fun. It looks like you could just reach past the glass, grab them to go play in the dirt! Don't get me wrong, I love the artwork of GI Joe and was even considering getting one of the book collections of just that at one point, but I could never keep my actual Joes on the cards. Toys are made to be played with!

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Oh, I agree. Even when I was one of those MOC collectors, it doesn't mean I didn't have a warehouse full of loose vintage joes, including a set for me and one for my kids. The vintage stuff is near and dear, and I'd be profoundly sad if my only original 3.75" joes were entombed in plastic.

It's a shame my kids had no interest. It wasn't from lack of trying. Is it too early to start planning for playing Joes with my future grandkids?

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
No offense to the MOC folks, but your display just looks like more fun. It looks like you could just reach past the glass, grab them to go play in the dirt! Don't get me wrong, I love the artwork of GI Joe and was even considering getting one of the book collections of just that at one point, but I could never keep my actual Joes on the cards. Toys are made to be played with!
I toyed with the idea of printing out the card art for the background, but once I found this shape frame and saw them on the black background all other thoughts vanished. It sure elevates them from toy to antique.

319214F2-B4A0-464F-9C37-E712339FD1C1.jpeg

Last edited:

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
So, the weirdest thing: relatively out of the blue, my girls love GI Joe again. My youngest loves playing with all my leftover 25th anniversary toys and watches the old ‘80’s cartoons. My oldest is loving reading all my old ‘80’s comic books. And my middle one just wants to sell all my remaining mint in package Joes to make money 😝. Why? Who knows, but it sure is fun when they ask about the characters and storylines.

• Wow
Reactions: NSA

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Wow how cool! I keep hoping for mine.. we'll see.

It was 117 here today.. all of SoCal was on fire (figuratively this time).. hit all time highs in a ton of places. Spent a lot of time in the pool. Thank God for the pool!

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Holy jeebus, how do you keep the roads and sidewalks from buckling? They don't have expansion joints like bridges... that's hotter than normal humans were meant to live. And if you read the news, your state is actually on fire, not just figuratively.

FYI, we're in the 80's today. Just sayin'. ;)

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, we’re in the ‘80’s here in MBSC as well. It’s like you sent the beautiful SoCal weather east and took AZ/NV‘s weather.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I haven't read of any structural failures, so maybe CA did something right at least. Over the years the summer has routinely got into the 110's for a couple of days, but we hit ALL TIME records yesterday in a lot of spots. About 30 miles south it hit 121° which is just insane. Today is supposed to now be 'only' in the 90s.

The summer overall was pretty mild up until this point, so who knows. Weird that 1 day could be such an outlier for temps. Our AC was well overmatched yesterday, I think it got up to 83 inside, even with the AC running all day. Finally started to cool off around 10PM.

It's weird because I've been to AZ and Palm Springs and other really hot places, where it is routinely that hot.. and this just felt different. I guess maybe because the nature/environment here isn't situated for that kind of heat maybe? Midday there was like no sounds outside, no birds or squirrels or anything. Pool was full of bugs who decided to drown themselves vs burn alive!