What's everybody up to?

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I don't know, his performance tonight was pretty mundane. The Tampa D getting after Patty and KC D shooting itself in the dick were the real keys to victory. Brady just stood there and benefitted from it.

I will give him his due though. The only time I have ever liked Brady is in the SNL sexual harassment training video:

Sexual Harassment and You - Saturday Night Live - YouTube

• Be Handsome
  • Be Attractive
  • Don't Be Unattractive
This is true, but Tommy did his job and had the refs erase his 1 mistake. Barrett deserves that MVP for wrecking Mahomes from start to finish.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
You need to team up with friends and share. We have our own D+. We have one friend that my wife gets Netflix from and we have another with H+ who offered it to us. As little as we (I) watch the last two, there's no way I'm paying for them.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I know these companies love the steady revenue streams, and it would be hypocritical of me to criticize the business practice of using inertia to your advantage. I live and die by the fact that gravity is my business's best friend. But there is nothing these people offer that is worth paying for every single month. At least I can argue that my customers get 100% of what they pay for.

The problem is that it wasn't so bad when there was just netflix. But now there is Hulu and HBO Max and Disney+ and Peacock and Paramount and Playstation and CBS All Access and ESPN+ and and and and.... yet no combination of them can reasonably replace your cable/dish. There is no way a reasonable person could keep up with what's even on all of these services, much less take advantage of them.

Yet these streaming services net the media companies so much more than the $1.37 per subscriber they get from the cable companies to be part of a "package". So I get why they do it, but at some point, it's like drinking from a firehose.

They want to become the media equivalent of the gym. Sign you up in perpetuity and secretly hope that you forget about it. It's a game I refuse to play.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I agree, except that, in the case of the one service I pay $6/mo for, we get instant watch or download access to all the Marvel, SW and Disney/Pixar content on all devices. That is worth it to me... for now. Although after their recent treatment of Gina Carano, I'm wondering...

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
True it should be a value but I have it bundled with Hulu live, I would very much like to get away from the live part, but

dam internet spoils shows before I get a chance to watch

Wife wants news access & non live news really doesn’t cut it.

Now the family is finding things to watch & I will have a rebellion if I suddenly cut things away. Which is what I’m doing when Disney’s time ends.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I agree, except that, in the case of the one service I pay $6/mo for, we get instant watch or download access to all the Marvel, SW and Disney/Pixar content on all devices. That is worth it to me... for now. Although after their recent treatment of Gina Carano, I'm wondering...
I get that, and D+'s intro price was attractive for a lot of folks. But even if I weren't bandwidth-limited out in the boonies, I just can't pay for stuff I already own. I would argue that most people who really care already had the dvd/blu-ray of 90% of that material in their houses. How much is it worth to be able to stream The Phantom Menace to your phone while you wait for your tires to be rotated?

But you already know, I'm a media server guy. I have all the disney/pixar, marvel and SW stuff ripped to hard drives. It's available for free to anyone in my home. Aside from Mando, I can't imagine there is much material on D+ that I didn't already possess.

I had D+ free from verizon for a whole year, and I turned it on exactly zero times. Directv gave me HBO Max free for three months, and I have turned that on exactly zero times in 2.5 months. I just don't see the value, or maybe I just don't have the time to enjoy them.

I'm old. Get off my lawn! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: ThunderDan19

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Lol! I'm very much the same, but don't have the media server to fall back on. Yes, we have most of those movies somewhere in the house or car, but my kids are not great at keeping things in their proper place (they take after their mother in that way :p ). So, really, I'm paying $6/mo for D+ to be my media server.

What works especially well for me (granted this was true of Netflix as well, at a higher monthly price) is the ability to download content onto my ipad before jetting off somewhere that I might need to have [not The Phantom Menace] to watch because TV is lame there and the internet is spotty. That, and in a lesser way, the new content (Read: The Mandalorian), is what keeps me there... for now.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I only have 1 disc player left in my house, so stream it is.
Definitely. I don't actually USE disks, I just ripped my whole collection and then put them all in storage.

The only discs in my house are my daughter's harry potter blu-rays. I've ripped them for her too, but she likes to put the discs in the player; she says it makes her feel "retro". She's 12. :laugh:

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I did all that fancy stuff back when I had a Windows Media server that recorded antenna tv and streamed to my multiple xboxes scattered thru the house, but then MS pulled the plug. I’m perfectly happy with Hulu live TV, Netflix and Amazon video that comes with Prime.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I did all that fancy stuff back when I had a Windows Media server that recorded antenna tv and streamed to my multiple xboxes scattered thru the house, but then MS pulled the plug. I’m perfectly happy with Hulu live TV, Netflix and Amazon video that comes with Prime.
Is that your complete TV expenditure, or is that in addition to cable/sat?

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
That’s all I have unless you count my antenna that I toss up for live football to eliminate the 60 second streaming delay. Fantasy football updates and NSA have spoiled many a plays for me when I watch a game with Hulu. I have not had cable for 15yrs. We spend around $70 on streaming and $55 for 500Mb fiber service since my wife insists on having some cable channels otherwise I’d dump Hulu.

• Love
Reactions: NSA

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
That's funny, I watch football on perma-delay unless it's sunday ticket where I'm watching 4-8 games at once and can switch the audio to the most interesting one.

I turn off fantasy notifications, and then I let the game get an hour or so ahead. I refuse to watch commercials, halftime filler, or all the other non-action of a 4hr game. Life's too short to spend half your afternoon getting pelted with ads for beer, trucks, and Jake from State Farm. :sick:

The ability to delay-then-jump is extra important on Sunday nights so I can even skip the 30sec gap between plays to minimize my exposure to Chris Collinsworth. :ROFLMAO:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I like commercials during football because I can pee or get a beer or both!

We still have DirecTV plus HBO and Disney+ and Netflix and Amazon Prime... It's a lot. Just about to get the wife to let go of DirecTV though there are still a few shows she'll miss. The streaming TV companies are hardly cheaper anymore either which sucks.

We get A LOT of use from Disney+ (2 year old girl loves princess movies), and Netflix lately. I've debated getting rid of Netflix but they have a ton of older kid material plus legacy stuff and fun new shows so we'll see. Amazon prime video or whatever is included in Prime so it's whatever..

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I hate skipping commercials during football or watching those speed viewings where they cut it down to just the plays for 60 minutes. It just destroys the ebb and flow of the game, makes each play feel less important and peels away the emotional rollercoaster. Basically makes a game as meaningful as a a sitcom. I rarely watch more than 1 game per week, so I fully enjoy my 3 hour break from reality

Reactions: NSA

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
How, pray tell, do the commercials contribute to "the flow of the game"?

Score, 4 min of commercials, kickoff, 4 min of commercials, collinsworth explains that brady/rogers/brees/mahomes is the best in the league (only if they're in the lead) despite claims the week before that one of the others is the best, why their opponent is actually not nearly as terrible as your eyeballs say they are, timeout, 4 min of commercials. Rinse, repeat.

These things do not add to my enjoyment in the least. My brain can process more than one play per real-time minute, and the less jibber-jabber I hear from these talking meatheads, the better. Except Romo. He's delightful to listen to, especially when he tells you what play they'll run next and you can watch it unfold exactly as predicted. I just wish he wasn't paired with Nantz, who is about as interesting as watching paint dry. The NFL needs to get Romo and Al Michaels teamed up. I'd listen to a full 3 hrs of that.

Maybe I've been spoiled by motorsports, which in general takes far fewer breaks, the action rarely stops, and the announcers are more... animated. But even then, I FF through cautions and commercials. As I type this, I'm letting the Daytona 500 get a bit in front of me before I queue it up.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I avoid all commercials all the time if possible. If DVRed, skip x10. If live, I flip to my alternate channel. Only time I see commercials is when they rig it so the commercials are on at the same time, and I then turn my attention to the iPad sitting on my chest. Except the Nacho Fries commercials, those are gold... :p

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
DVR pause for potty breaks. If a game sucks that much, I'll find something else to watch or do.

I agree there are some funny and entertaining commercials out there, but they are surrounded by pure trash most of the time.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Commercials make up roughly 1/3 of the broadcast of an NFL game. I do not need to pee, check fantasy, or get snacks for 20min per hour. Only someone with an eating disorder and a bladder problem needs that much time off.