What's everybody up to?

zodiacflash

Have Gun Will Travel
May 28, 2013
Houston
I'll have to look into that series. I own Vietnam: A Television History. That's a good series. I also had my dad and his two brothers. Dad did three tours there flying an OH-6. His younger brother was a Thunderchief pilot. He did his 100 missions and got back home. The oldest brother was an infantryman in Korea. I guess I was immersed in all of it from a very young age, with all the experiences they talked about, and all the name-calling and other crap we got from a few of our mellow, peace-loving neighbors. But that pretty much only happened when I was really young. They did have a few things written down, including letters and military records, and lots of pictures. Since my dad and uncles are all gone, I try to remember and write down all I can about certain stories when they pop up in my head.

As far as collecting goes, I'm at a critical point. Too much stuff and not enough space in the hobby room. I'm 50 now, three kids in college, and my 12 and 8 year old girls don't play much with my stuff anymore. They still borrow a van or plane here and there from my Adventure People shelves to use with their playmobil people or LOL dolls. Man, those things look weird. I've just finished a plan for a building kinda like NASA's VAB that will house a Defiant shuttle and some model rocket parts. It will be huge to say the least and will require some serious rearranging. As much as I love my Star Wars stuff, I'm thinking it'll go to a closet I use for junk storage. The stuff in there is just a bunch of crap I haven't needed in years, so I'll get rid of it and I can place my Star Wars stuff on the shelves in there. Kinda like still being on display, but slightly bunched up in a closet. But the Joes stay. All the planes stay. The Flagg stays. Model rockets, RC vehicles, and Adventure People stay. But it still needs rearranging. I guess since I'm already gearing up for spring cleaning, it'll be a good project to throw in.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I'll have to look into that series. I own Vietnam: A Television History. That's a good series. I also had my dad and his two brothers. Dad did three tours there flying an OH-6. His younger brother was a Thunderchief pilot. He did his 100 missions and got back home. The oldest brother was an infantryman in Korea. I guess I was immersed in all of it from a very young age, with all the experiences they talked about, and all the name-calling and other crap we got from a few of our mellow, peace-loving neighbors. But that pretty much only happened when I was really young. They did have a few things written down, including letters and military records, and lots of pictures. Since my dad and uncles are all gone, I try to remember and write down all I can about certain stories when they pop up in my head.
I finished the series over the weekend, and it was phenomenal. A lot of things struck me that I didn't know. I had no idea how we really got there, aside from generally trying to stop the spread of communism in SE Asia. I wasn't aware of all the slow-moving details starting directly after WWII that landed us there in the first place.

I knew LBJ was a lying weasel, but this doc made him look far worse. I knew Nixon had some skeletons in the closet, but my opinion of him dropped several notches too. I would almost normally dismiss how bad they looked as some kind of spin-job, but it's on tape. Both of them. Just wildly admitting that the war is unwinnable, and then spending the subsequent years sending young men to die for nothing and wasting untold fortunes in the process. And simultaneously, the war protestors were not painted particularly well either. And while they didn't shy away from many of the atrocities committed by over-zealous troops on both sides, the series was particularly respectful to the soldiers, especially ours.

The other thing that struck me was how similar the conflict was to subsequent wars in the gulf. I'd heard many times politicians and pundits compare the sandbox dilemmas to 'nam, but watching the series, everytime some nonsense came up, I kept thinking, "That's basically identical to the middle east quagmire..." over and over. It's like we're addicted to wars we can't (and don't really want to) win.

I can't recommend the series enough for those who haven't seen it.
-------------

My dad was in the army during 'Nam, but he graduated at the top of his ROTC class and got to choose his first assignment. Already being married and not wanting to leave a widow, he chose something in the non-combat realm, the adjutant general corps, stationed in Houston. He had lots of responsibilities, like processing recruits and such, but one of the top ones became being the officer that had to personally inform families that their son had been killed. He's told me several stories about how bad that was, but it made him tough as nails. He said that nothing scared him after having to do that a few hundred times.

One of his other responsibilities was being part of the team that went after draft-dodgers. He actually had to go to court to testify against many of them, including Muhammed Ali. But I think his view on all of that has changed over the years. Time has a way of revealing how pointless it all was, and he's told me more than once that we had no business over there to begin with.

He was supposed to go to 'Nam at some point, but his commanding officer was nearing retirement, and there wasn't anyone else who knew how to run everything. However, my dad did not want to make a career out of the army. After serving his required years, the day he left the army, his CO reached into his desk drawer and handed my dad his orders to be sent to 'Nam that the CO just "accidentally" failed to deliver. As a result, the only time my dad went to 'Nam was a brief trip to retrieve his best friend who'd been killed while fighting in the Bien Hoa province.

zodiacflash

Have Gun Will Travel
May 28, 2013
Houston
Well Nacho, I'm glad your dad didn't end up going. But he sure had some tough responsibilities to handle here from the whole thing. Yeah, I will definitely be watching the series now. Thanks for recommending it.

Reactions: nacho