pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Said no one ever...

Care to illustrate?
Target Circle is running a 25% off any toy coupon which I grouped with the Red Card 5%, a bunch of earned points and the 30% off sale to boredom buy some Revelation figures. I basically paid $12 to get Battle Cat, He-man and Skeletor and must admit they are high quality figures. Much better plastic than Retaliation or Black Series. Battle Cat is truly a beast.

Can't believe I bought them and really can't believe I admitted it on the webs.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
You know Retaliation is hated by the masses when the figures are cheaper than the crap retro MOTU figs. Luckily I hated 80’s He-man and was able to watch it with a clean slate. It’s actually a good series if they had not pulled the bait and switch advertising to make us think it was about He-man.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Very cool. Didn't Eddie get one of those originally to go with his 1/18 Bruderstator? Too much $$$ and space for me, but it looks like a great display piece.

What did you trade for him?
Eddie had the 1:18 Sideswipe, but I’m not sure he actually pulled the trigger on MAS-01 before his sabbatical. It’s extremely not Geewun in style, so I could see both of you passing on it. It was just too much money for me during the brief time he was on the market, then the Megatron was underwhelming and the company imploded so I never thought I’d own him until he showed up in my new local toy shop.

I had an extra MIB Anton Merrick X-wing and a loose Amazon exclusive WFC Phantom Strike (Cybertron Skywarp) set along with a couple carded retro Troopers, 6” Viper and BBQ. That got me to $350 and asking price was $325. Total win on my side dumping stuff I could care less if I owned. That Skywarp’s average eBay sale price loose is $200 and he was just laying loose, tangled up in my WFC tub with the other 40 TFs as any child would store them. I dig thru it like Lego whenever I need a bot to play with.

I’m not sure I’ve smiled this big over a toy ever in adulthood. I’m sure all of us who played with both Joe and TF in the 80’s dreamed of having them in matching scale and now 35yrs later I have that. I didn’t know I needed it. Everything in my toy universe is at peace now especially getting a 1:18 Master Chief last year. I’m actually considering emptying my crawl space of toy tubs now due to the giant void that’s been filled with Prime.

1:18 for life! (Anyone want a bunch of gay 6” Joes?)

35241092-4FEC-4A39-83F0-11C7E3B91EAF.jpeg

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Lol, if I’d have known you’d be dumping a bunch of “gay 6” Joes,” I’d have held off on picking up all the ones I wanted. Just in case I somehow missed any, who are you parting with?

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I’ll probably just dump them all at my local store and cancel my preorders. Tired of waiting on Classified to actually ship product; still waiting on my SE Timber set which was due in June. I basically have all of the non-retard color Joe and Cobras. As cool as they are individually, they are a heathen scale that take up too much room and have no home in my display.

1:18 really is my prime scale.

35682B15-5160-40EE-A1D0-8FF8C4A6C7CD.jpeg

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I'm actually amazed how much they've gotten out so far, given that they clearly had little faith in the line initially. Pulse finally shipped my SE timber sets, and I gotta say, I like him a lot more than the original release. The wolf is badass. Every *major* named Cobra has been released (or announced), barring maybe Mindbender and Serpentor. And Joe, I could think of another 25-30 characters I'd like them to make. But I'm not gonna quit now that they're finally easier to obtain. Bring on Stalker & Dusty next year.

My life has room for more than one scale of this franchise. Can't argue with the urge to streamline, but I'm always a sucker for Joe.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Been wanting to upgrade my media server setup beyond a collection of hard drives and blue-ray boxes. I have a beautiful CAT6 network all over my house that rarely gets used, thought I should utilize all that hard work to spread the media. Spent the weekend researching NAS systems for media storage, NAS hard drives, RAID architectures, etc.

Finally settled on an Asustor AS5304T 4-bay system running a PLEX server with 4x WD Red Plus 12T HDDs in a RAID10 configuration. That'll give me 24TB fully mirrored, should be enough for all the TV, movies, music, and photos I've accumulated over the years with enough spare room to add more for a few years. Plus it'll all be redundant, so when a drive fails I don't lose a ton of data.

Not sure if I'll set it up to be a remote server, as I don't see a scenario where I'll be streaming media to my devices outside the house, but who knows. When Elon gets some Starlink to my house in the next 6-8 months, and I'm swimming in bandwidth, anything is possible.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I love that you'll be the Starlink guinea pig for me!!! :p

I looked into it but was not nearly impressed enough by the website to drop the deposit or seriously consider the upfront cost. I'm still hoping it gets better and has enough coverage to reach us up between the trees! I'd love to move beyond our currently very limited bandwidth as well.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
It's a no-brainer for me to try it. Even if the bandwidth is only 20% of what they promise (I have no reason to think it won't be exactly what they promise), it'll still be a huge improvement in performance AND save me money, plus no data caps. The idea of of getting 300-500Mbps out in the boonies was too tempting to try. And while Musk makes lofty claims, he usually comes through, albeit typically later than expected.

Have spent a lot of time on reddit reading up on people's experiences, and they are overwhelmingly good. The only bad ones are people trying to do something out-of-bounds or trying to line-skip by signing up in a different place and then changing addresses and being surprised it doesn't work right. Never heard of anyone just playing by the rules and saying "Nah" after it arrives.

"Dishy" has to point north-ish with minimal obstructions. I've got that covered, as I'll mount it on the rear of the house, just peeking above the gutters/roofline. Nothing in view but a high-voltage transmission tower, but the amount it should obstruct the view of the dish is minimal. Fingers crossed.

Just a friendly suggestion, if you think you might want it, I'd go ahead and put down the $100 deposit, as the wait times for certain cells are measured in years. I signed up to get on the list for the Beta in July '20, got invited to sign up for a deposit in Feb '21, and I'm patiently waiting to be told I can complete my order. Was supposed to be late this year, but we got an email the other day stating it'll be mid-'22... because chip shortage/supply chain (I had already assumed as much).

If you change your mind, you can get your deposit back, but it just gets you a place in line. You'll likely have plenty of time to evaluate others' experiences before having to make a final decision. It would be unfortunate to postpone signing up, decide you want it, and have to wait until 2024 or something.

Also, they have an app that evaluates your site. If you have a lot of tall trees close to your house though, that could be an issue.

Last edited:

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I revisited the site. Looks like our area is currently looking at late '22. I will get the app and see if that can help me figure out if we have enough of a view to make it work. Still not all that impressed with the site. Getting significant information there is still... spotty...

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I wish! But no doubt, if I ever get wealthy enough, I will go full-super-villain. ;)

No really, prior to being self employed, I was on the Alcatel's hardware team that designed FTTH NIDs (Fiber-to-the-home Network Interface Device). Our customers were ATT, Verizon, SBC, PacBell, BellSouth (before being reacquired by Ma' Bell) etc. It was fun work, just became disillusioned with "the man". But I've never been able to enjoy the fruits of my labor as a consumer.

When "The Big One" severs all your fibers, I will laugh with my space satellite internet... but you won't hear it b/c you'll be cut off :devilish:

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I sit here enjoying my 500M/500M fiber connection and laughing at you low bandwidth peons!

One of the few FEW FEW perks of CA.

Just sitting here playing on the interwebs.
And you pretend you’re too busy to hang out with us here... Compared to my 8mbps, you can practically go back in time to make some spare to show up here, fella! 😝

I’m hoping to maybe get onboard with that fancy space internet if they ever get it up and running and maybe join the 21st century again. So far still not impressed with their website or app though. We may be getting some additional earth-based options in the not too distant future too, if our congressional rep is to be believed. We’ll see I guess.

• Haha
Reactions: NSA

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah I have Frontier now (was Verizon) FIOS.. it works pretty good most of the time.

At work we sell 1000M/1000M connections for a pittance on the dollar (like $50) but you have to live in a complex we service. Do they have fast 5G speeds by you guys? Could be better than the wired places?

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
We’re pretty limited on that front too. We have a neighbor that does that (probably only 4g as we are rural), but I think that system clogs up too, because it’s not nearly as good as he had expected it would be.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
I have Verizon 5G cell service all the places I go during the day, but out in the boonies at the house, no. I do have solid 4G signal, and I use it sometimes when the weather is bad and the non-Elon satellite internet gets wonky. If the kids are using a lot of the house internet, sometimes I'll use the 4G just to keep the house away from the bandwidth cap. None of it is blazing fast, but it's very usable. I don't sit around and lament the speeds or anything. It's perfectly fine except for huge downloads. Elon will just crank up the speeds by an order of magnitude and eliminate the worry about caps.

My dad (on the hill across the street) has the worst situation. When he built his house in '84, he hired a consultant from TVA to come in and advise on all the ways to make the house ultra-efficient. At the time, one of the suggestions was a radiant barrier behind the sheetrock on the walls and ceilings. It worked great, as his electric bills have always been super low for a big house, but the barrier was a foil-type material, making his house one big Faraday cage in which little-to-no cell signal can penetrate. Signal is fine outside, signal is barely usable indoors IF you sit very still up against a window. Everywhere else in the house is a black hole. Damn energy consultant never imagined wireless buck-rogers computers in our pockets.

Reactions: ThunderDan19

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I have Verizon 5G cell service all the places I go during the day, but out in the boonies at the house, no. I do have solid 4G signal, and I use it sometimes when the weather is bad and the non-Elon satellite internet gets wonky. If the kids are using a lot of the house internet, sometimes I'll use the 4G just to keep the house away from the bandwidth cap. None of it is blazing fast, but it's very usable. I don't sit around and lament the speeds or anything. It's perfectly fine except for huge downloads. Elon will just crank up the speeds by an order of magnitude and eliminate the worry about caps.

My dad (on the hill across the street) has the worst situation. When he built his house in '84, he hired a consultant from TVA to come in and advise on all the ways to make the house ultra-efficient. At the time, one of the suggestions was a radiant barrier behind the sheetrock on the walls and ceilings. It worked great, as his electric bills have always been super low for a big house, but the barrier was a foil-type material, making his house one big Faraday cage in which little-to-no cell signal can penetrate. Signal is fine outside, signal is barely usable indoors IF you sit very still up against a window. Everywhere else in the house is a black hole. Damn energy consultant never imagined wireless buck-rogers computers in our pockets.

Thats crazy! At least you know where to go so the 5G Vaccine trackers can't find you!

Can he get one of those cell repeaters and place it INSIDE the house? I think they operate over the internet so it makes a little cell tower of your very own. I wonder if it was inside the cage if it'd be SUPERPOWERED.