XBOX Series X

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Unless they pivot back to having an offline mode, Microsoft can kiss my ass. Getting curb-stomped by nine-year-olds online while consuming bandwidth I don't have is not an experience I want to pay through the nose for.

It's like if Parker Brothers said, "Hey, instead of playing monopoly with your family at the kitchen table, you can only play outside in the rain against professional stock brokers, and you need a monthly subscription."

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Unless they pivot back to having an offline mode, Microsoft can kiss my ass. Getting curb-stomped by nine-year-olds online while consuming bandwidth I don't have is not an experience I want to pay through the nose for.

It's like if Parker Brothers said, "Hey, instead of playing monopoly with your family at the kitchen table, you can only play outside in the rain against professional stock brokers, and you need a monthly subscription."
I never play online, so I do not understand this statement. I even cancelled my Xbox Live Gold account.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
On the river...
www.teletraanone.com
Everything I've ever read about x-box says that it requires that it be connected to the internet to function properly, and that it is a colossal bandwidth hog, even when you tell it not to auto-update. This was my main deciding factor in purchasing a PS4.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I can’t see it being any different than a PC, Tablet, PS4 when hooked to the web. I believe you can even run it unhooked once you do the initial setup, but all of these games are shipped out in beta form these days and require massive downloads (if not the whole dang game) for day one updates on all systems.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah the PS4 and Xbox One are basically identical at this point. You 'can' run them offline, but with varying results. Almost every game comes with a big Day 1 patch that fixes things. Some games won't even boot right without that patch. That is more on the game designer than Sony/Microsoft.

Obviously, you get more features and functionality with it connected to the internet.. but what doesn't these days?

The naming is kinda dumb, but if I were a betting man, they'll be releasing Xbox Series X.. then down the road Xbox Series S, and maybe even Xbox Series E. (S E X!). Every year or other year or whenever, they'll refresh the lineup, just like Apple does with the iPad. If you go to buy an iPad it's just an iPad (Gen7) or whatever. So I doubt they bother releasing any other strange named console going forward for a while.

Series X will be the top dog, super performance, the S will likely be a budget version, and maybe the E will be a streaming-only box.

One thing they're supposed to be adding is instant pause/resume of MULTIPLE games. So it saves where you are for 4 or 5 games. So you can bounce out of one and play another and then bounce back into the original game and it resumes right where you were, with no loading.

The accessory backwards AND forwards compatibility is awesome. We finally live in that time frame. All Series X accessories will work on the Xbox One systems, and vice versa. Thank the maker.

pcsguy88

Number 2
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Microsoft sees the future and understands it’s just a TV computer at this point, so why have generations when you can just keep releasing upgrades like you pointed out with IPads. It’s our own damn fault for making the XB-X so freaking successful and I can’t argue with the strategy. All games work everywhere at different resolutions.