All in the Family

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Just another quick shoot to preview my Zandar custom with his siblings. This is a revision of my original Zandar custom, with the new SDS head and Storm Shadow neckerchief, but the rest is the same as before. I did repaint a good deal of the figure, such as the chest tattoos and the majority of the blue, not to mention touching up some damaged wear and then clear-coating the entire thing.

This was a good test run on my old Zandar before I start my new Zandar from the SDS kit. (I ended up with 2 Zandar heads, so I figured why not.) I've decided that I'm going to do a darker, more desaturated blue on my 2nd Zandar, as the vintage blue is just too bright. When compared to the SDCC Zarana and Zartan, their colors are much more muted than their vintage counterparts, especially Zarana. So I figure that Zandar will fit in better if he's toned down a bit too.

Also, you'll catch my Monkeywrench custom. Heads for Zandar and MW are courtesy of Slayer Design.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
When you say All in the Family is that because they ran a train on Zarana? Well we know Monkeywrench wouldn't, you'd have to add a Short Round figure to that scene. :D

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
When you say All in the Family is that because they ran a train on Zarana? Well we know Monkeywrench wouldn't, you'd have to add a Short Round figure to that scene. :D

At first I didn't get the MW joke, then I did. Clever girl.

Yeah, Zandar's way gay, which is why after I revised him, I realized that Hasbro will probably downplay his colors a bit if/when they release him (if they treat him anything like they did Zarana). The cyan blue is just way too flashy. I did match his scarf thing to Zarana's shirt color so it wasn't hot pink, and I tried a slightly different color for his bandana (the same I used on my Law vest).

Granted, the rest of him is ridiculous too, with the no-shirt look and the lightning bolt tattoos, but I think if they make him, he'll retain those, but they'll adjust the colors to be a bit more toned down.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Great shots!!

I really like see thing Family together agin. I don't care how Gay Zandar looks, I want that figure. My favorite pics are the 2 close ups of just the 3 with Zarana crouching.

Oh and piss off MB

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
looks nice man...nice set...they really seem like they are up to something shady...

Zandar looks looks really good...flashy, yes...but accuracy is what you were going for, so in that sense, great work...like that leg combo and knife shieth you used...

when i made my Zandar, i couldnt bring myself to add the ghey blue tats...i just left them off...don't care if its inaccurate...i also toned down the pink and darkened the blue

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Not into the Knoks, but you did a hellagreat job! That dio set is tight. Caught all te details. That brickwork had to be tedious. I remember doing that as a junior draftsman For building facades with a pencil. Great job

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Looks great MR. aside from what the others said, something else that jumped right out at me is the drybrushing on his shoulder armor to match the drybrushing they put on the SDCC Zarana. I really like the use of the Stormshadow neckerchief. Making me consider busting off my sculpey one and replacing it.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
The funny thing is, I actually painted those shoulder plates nearly 2 years ago! I painted them to match the cartoon Zartan, and my Zartan is technically customized. I couldn't crack torsos at the time, so I used the torso and upper arms from the cartoon 5-pack Zartan, painted his belt and hip sockets to be the proper colors, and then used the rest from the single card Zartan with the green sled. Little did I know that the HOH would wind up like that, without the work.

Anyways, when I saw that Zarana had the silver accents, it made me happy, since that saved me the work. One thing on my Zarana that I forgot to point out, is I also added the gold highlights to her belt... A deco I felt was surely missing.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Here's the pics I posted in the Zarana thread... Yeah, I don't see why they omitted that. The buckle, especially, looks bare without it. And it's not like they didn't use a gold mask, they did the buckles on her leg strap and shoulder strap.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
On mine? Or the factory one? I think I may have done a little on mine, but there's a flap that I assumed was supposed to be leather that sits next to the buckle... Wasn't sure whether to paint it or not.

You'll probably want to touch up a lot on the factory figure. It was a lot sloppier than Sarge, although there were a good deal more paint apps, too. Sarge only had like 4 colors, Zarana seems to have more, with all the highlights and such.