AV-8B first look.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I heard the same- the USMC was eyeing it at the same time. I think the "Fighter Mafia" grudgingly accepted that they need a CAS plane in their inventory to stay relevant.... I still have no idea how they pulled off the F-22. They must have been all up in Congress's ass for that one.

USMC Hogs would be glorious, though I would expect the conversion to carrier launch and recovery would be substantial, at least for the landing gear. That nose full of GAU-8 and pilot's bathtup would seriously mash the existing nose gear in a rough carrier landing, I would expect.

I think the F-22 survived because it began way back under Reagan, back when the USSR was still a major boogie man. They designed the Raptor to kill off all those cheap MiGs being distributed throughout the Warsaw Pact at the time. By the time the Cold War ended, they had already spent so much in R/D, they probably needed the end product simply to justify all the spending up until then. Granted, it is (while not combat proven, generally considered to be) the most lethal fighter in the world and will remain so until stealth and next generation radar tech is truly achieved by other parties.

For the record, for the Marine Corps, I don't think the F-35 is a solution to replacing the harrier.

I dunno. I would actually consider the F-35B a closer replacement to the AV-8B than the F-35A is to the Hog. At least the Lightning is designed to do what the Harrier does (VSTOL, similar ordnance/cannon), with the added benefits of stealth, a much faster top speed and a supposedly much more pilot friendly (less intensive) conversion between vertical and horizontal flight.

F-35A for the F-16? Sure. F-35C for the F/A-18A? Why not. But not for the Hog, no matter what they strap to it to try to make it more lethal. The A-10 was built around its most lethal weapon from day one. You don't get the same result when adding an almost as good cannon as a bolt on option. And stealth will only get you so much when you're already nearly on the deck, trying to keep the enemy off your ground pounding buddies.

*steps off soap box...

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
USMC Hogs would be glorious, though I would expect the conversion to carrier launch and recovery would be substantial, at least for the landing gear. That nose full of GAU-8 and pilot's bathtup would seriously mash the existing nose gear in a rough carrier landing, I would expect.

I think the F-22 survived because it began way back under Reagan, back when the USSR was still a major boogie man. They designed the Raptor to kill off all those cheap MiGs being distributed throughout the Warsaw Pact at the time. By the time the Cold War ended, they had already spent so much in R/D, they probably needed the end product simply to justify all the spending up until then. Granted, it is (while not combat proven, generally considered to be) the most lethal fighter in the world and will remain so until stealth and next generation radar tech is truly achieved by other parties.

I dunno. I would actually consider the F-35B a closer replacement to the AV-8B than the F-35A is to the Hog. At least the Lightning is designed to do what the Harrier does (VSTOL, similar ordnance/cannon), with the added benefits of stealth, a much faster top speed and a supposedly much more pilot friendly (less intensive) conversion between vertical and horizontal flight.

F-35A for the F-16? Sure. F-35C for the F/A-18A? Why not. But not for the Hog, no matter what they strap to it to try to make it more lethal. The A-10 was built around its most lethal weapon from day one. You don't get the same result when adding an almost as good cannon as a bolt on option. And stealth will only get you so much when you're already nearly on the deck, trying to keep the enemy off your ground pounding buddies.

*steps off soap box...

Somethings really can't be replaced. Read: Chinook and Warthog. CAS in the manner that the A-10 does it can't be done with a 153 million dollar supersonic fighter with gun pods bolted to the fuselage.

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
I don't know.. I'm just wary of "jack of all trades" aircraft.... The F-22 I can see, as a relic of the Cold War.. but the F-35 seems to try and be everything to everyone. I hope it works out- and if it's pilot friendly, then I guess it can't be all bad.

I just wish the USMC had the funds to design a ground-up VTOL CAS aircraft. Three of our helos were designed in the 60's if not before that. Granted, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.....

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Somethings really can't be replaced. Read: Chinook and Warthog. CAS in the manner that the A-10 does it can't be done with a 153 million dollar supersonic fighter with gun pods bolted to the fuselage.

Precisely why those two are still in service and heavily used. The A-10 is projected to outlast its original "replacement," the F-16 BTW. :D

I don't know.. I'm just wary of "jack of all trades" aircraft.... The F-22 I can see, as a relic of the Cold War.. but the F-35 seems to try and be everything to everyone. I hope it works out- and if it's pilot friendly, then I guess it can't be all bad.

I just wish the USMC had the funds to design a ground-up VTOL CAS aircraft. Three of our helos were designed in the 60's if not before that. Granted, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.....

At least the Marines have performed some serious upgrades on the UH-1 and AH-1 platforms. Both are significantly improved and more capable over versions from even a decade ago. And, I would have to believe that all the major/crucial parts got inspected and/or replaced during the refits, so perhaps that was the best (at least most cost effective) option when multiple platforms are aging simultaneously.

I'm actually happy to see that the Corps also got the all new Osprey and F-35B over hand-me-downs this go 'round. And at least they didn't try to say that the F-35A or C (non-VSTOL) was supposed to replace the Harrier. The fact that they designed the Bravo as VSTOL in from day one makes it less of a one-size-fits all than even the F/A-18 and F-16 were. And I believe the B's are already coming off the production line - before the other versions - as well. Nice to see y'all getting at least a little love... :D

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
well why not? they are already dumbing down our kids, might as well dumb down the military too.
They've been doing it for years, look at women in the military. The political correctness in the army because of the female presence is fucking retarded.

As far as I know, the half-dozen women that tried the Marine infantry course didn't come close to completing it, and you can be sure some politician will spearhead the movement to further dumb down the requirements.

To add to the 35's woes, the South Koreans are passing on it in favor F-15SE.

Beeavision

A pirate's life for me!
Mar 14, 2011
Orlando, FL
This just in....lol

Merit International (Facebook):
Merit International LLC wrote: "Still fixing!! It will look very very different from what we shown in SDCC. we will show same one from SDCC in iHooby Show in October."

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Probably realized how wrong the nose was and set to unfucking it.

The Ewokhunter

Crazyass Cracker
Mar 14, 2011
thingsatwistedewokwouldsay.blogspot.com

Beeavision

A pirate's life for me!
Mar 14, 2011
Orlando, FL
This just after....

Merit International LLC wrote: "Definately in a good way. Otherwise, we would have released the Model."

I think your right, it looks like the price is going to hit an all time record.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
They can make it $5000 for all I care...they already lost me at the first expected asking price...I'll certainly drool on pics of it though :D

Apache26

Enlisted
Feb 3, 2013
They've been doing it for years, look at women in the military. The political correctness in the army because of the female presence is fucking retarded.

As far as I know, the half-dozen women that tried the Marine infantry course didn't come close to completing it, and you can be sure some politician will spearhead the movement to further dumb down the requirements.

To add to the 35's woes, the South Koreans are passing on it in favor F-15SE.

Here! Here!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Aviatornut posted this shot. Whoever took this photo used a potato to do it.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
No doubt. There's some hobby show coming up that Merit is supposed to be attending with the prototype. May be another chance for photos taken with something resembling an actual camera.

Beeavision

A pirate's life for me!
Mar 14, 2011
Orlando, FL
iHobby Expo Oct. 2-6 just outside of Chicago. And from what I understand they will be showcasing the very same prototype we saw back at SDCC. Nothing really new unfortunately. From my understanding there were two prototypes built and the one getting the most attention is currently at the JSI facility in Hong Kong where they are performing updates to ensure its ready for final tooling & production. That pretty much includes the landing gears, paint finish, armament, and so on. According to Jim at Merit the other prototype looks "very" different then the one they have here to show us. In time hopefully they may have pictures of it soon but that's up to JSI as it seems they are the one's completely in charge of this project.

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011
iHobby Expo Oct. 2-6 just outside of Chicago. And from what I understand they will be showcasing the very same prototype we saw back at SDCC. Nothing really new unfortunately. From my understanding there were two prototypes built and the one getting the most attention is currently at the JSI facility in Hong Kong where they are performing updates to ensure its ready for final tooling & production. That pretty much includes the landing gears, paint finish, armament, and so on. According to Jim at Merit the other prototype looks "very" different then the one they have here to show us. In time hopefully they may have pictures of it soon but that's up to JSI as it seems they are the one's completely in charge of this project.

If I wasn't going to the con this weekend, I could have checked it out.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I'm not sure which annoys me more, the blurry ass half built Harrier (I think) or the lost potential of that Su-27... What's wrong with these people?

Beeavision

A pirate's life for me!
Mar 14, 2011
Orlando, FL
Just learned that Tony at Merit will be present at the iHobby Expo Oct. 3-6 with drawings to reflect on what changes have been done so far.

Jim@Merit wrote:
we can only show the same Test Shot One (T1) from Comic Con. For those who can make it to iHobby, please check out our booth and look for Tony. He will have some drawings to reflect modifications to T1.