Clay for 2 part mold suggestions

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I'm trying to find a soft clay to use for two part molds. My 3d printed parts are on the fragile side so the softer, the better.

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
Playdoh is the softest clay like substance I know of...

This is going to sound really weird,but have y'all tried the powder&water mix from a "clone-a-willy" kit? they sell it loose on ebay iirc...I know it's not clay,but it pours in,and grabs detail well(so I've been told:rolleyes:) You could then cut it into two part molds? Idk,just throwing it out there..

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I'm not using the clay as a mold. It's a support until the top half cures.

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011
Try plastalina modeling clay. It's $3 at michaels, never hardens. I use it for making my molds. Why aren't you just gluing the parts to toothpicks? Look at Starwarsgeeks vids in the tutorials section on how to do it.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Try plastalina modeling clay. It's $3 at michaels, never hardens. I use it for making my molds. Why aren't you just gluing the parts to toothpicks? Look at Starwarsgeeks vids in the tutorials section on how to do it.

It's a bitch with my dinky intricate pieces to demold.

Tried plastalina. A little too hard, messy, and difficult to warm without melting it.

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011
I haven't had that problem with the plastalina. It softens up as you work with it for me.

You have to expect 3d printed parts (and often custom made pieces) will be damaged or destroyed when you remove them from molds. I've even seen it mentioned on some 3d printing sites. As long as you can get the part out, you'll have a master part once you cast it (provided you don't damage the mold when removing said part).

You could also use pieces from older molds as a frame work for your parts. Just make sure they're not too old, the more recent the better. I can also recommend Smooth-On Max 10T for the mold. It has a little more give than the Max 15T so removing parts is easier.