[Contest] Custom Games

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
if we take the 4 alternates out it. we will still need to have a "bye" for somebody.

26 entries- 13 left = uneven

28 entries- 14 left- 7 left = uneven

30 entries- 15 left = uneven

32 entries- 16 left - 8 left - 4 left - 2 left = 1 winner

Byrnes

Ghetto Fabulous
Feb 29, 2012
So just to be clear, this is about the custom right? Not a characters abilities to actually fight the opponent? Or is it whatever the voter wants it to be?

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
So just to be clear, this is about the custom right? Not a characters abilities to actually fight the opponent? Or is it whatever the voter wants it to be?

The vote should take three things into account, really.

1. The custom itself.
2. The bio. Is it funny? Does it have a lot of information? Too much? Not enough? Does it give you a real good idea of the character and their abilities?
3. The 'what if' factor. "What if these two characters met in real life and fought? Who would win?"

Byrnes

Ghetto Fabulous
Feb 29, 2012

1. The custom itself.
2. The bio. Is it funny? Does it have a lot of information? Too much? Not enough? Does it give you a real good idea of the character and their abilities?
3. The 'what if' factor. "What if these two characters met in real life and fought? Who would win?"

Ah OK, I've pretty much been disregarding #3. But I'll think about it when voting.

Thanks.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011

1. The custom itself.

This^^

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(

1. The custom itself.

I've been mainly voting based on #3...in the event that I feel both opponents are equal, THEN #1 comes into play...I don't really take #2 into account unless there just plain isn't one...

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
I've been taking all 3 into account with #1 and #2 being equal as a priority. #3 is more of a after the fact and is used to help determine tie breakers.

letal

I Went Todash
May 8, 2013
Brazil
if the purpose is not to vote for the coolest custom work bio combination ... what is the point of it?? (as a creator stand point I mean ... )

if the purpose was to see who'd won in a "real fight" I really should have named my figure God Almight, the physical embodiment of God himself in mood to play more closely with his little mortals.
"HULK? Away with the gamma radiation ....
Ah punny Barner.... Hello ... ByeBye!"

Last edited:

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
I am also voting on who I think would win in a fight. I thought that was what the point of the custom games was. Create a custom of a fighter that would defeat all other fighters. That is actually why I entered ,and what I thought set this competition apart from every other custom contest. If it was just based on who made the best custom than it would be just like all of the rest.

Well one way voting could be going is people in the next round may go against what they feel a threat. Another can be the story you give your entry. It is as much a sell as the custom itself. You also have to figure in that a contestant may be lobbying with people they know to get more votes. Kind of like a.....uummmmm.......political election!

Eddie needs to start texting people he knows some pictures and I bet his votes skyrocket!! :)

starwarsgeek

Self-explanatory
Aug 1, 2011
New Joisey
www.starwarsgeek.net
if the purpose is not to vote for the coolest custom work bio combination ... what is the point of it?? (as a creator stand point I mean ... )

I agree. What's the point of making a kick ass custom, and then losing to another figure because the bio is better? Basically if the bio for my figure said he can't die, then I should win automatically, yes?

If it's a custom contest, then the voting should be on the custom, and not the bio, powers, accessories, or backdrop. The construction, modifications, sculpting, parts choices, painting, etc are what should be judged. The only thing that should matter is the custom. If you make a bio contest then that's what the voting should be on. But it doesn't really matter in the end, because all contests are really just popularity contests at the end of the day...

XOC2008

Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL

if the purpose was to see who'd won in a "real fight" I really should have named my figure God Almight, the physical embodiment of God himself in mood to play more closely with his little mortals.
"HULK? Away with the gamma radiation ....
Ah punny Barner.... Hello ... ByeBye!"

I agree. What's the point of making a kick ass custom, and then losing to another figure because the bio is better? Basically if the bio for my figure said he can't die, then I should win automatically, yes?

If it's a custom contest, then the voting should be on the custom, and not the bio, powers, accessories, or backdrop. The construction, modifications, sculpting, parts choices, painting, etc are what should be judged. The only thing that should matter is the custom. If you make a bio contest then that's what the voting should be on. But it doesn't really matter in the end, because all contests are really just popularity contests at the end of the day...

Except from the beginning, we have said that the voting should be done based on the criteria we keep repeating. I don't understand why this has become a problem for everybody now, unless no one read anything posted prior to the first 7 face-offs going up.

And if that's the case, it's really no one's fault but those of you who didn't read it. Yes, it doesn't say so in the rules. But I know both MW and myself have stated several times that those three criteria are what we hope people will base their votes on.

I've seen some fantastic customs. But if it was based on the custom itself, there'd be no point in the one on one matches at all. Just put them all up to be voted on and whoever gets the most votes wins.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Except from the beginning, we have said that the voting should be done based on the criteria we keep repeating. I don't understand why this has become a problem for everybody now, unless no one read anything posted prior to the first 7 face-offs going up.

And if that's the case, it's really no one's fault but those of you who didn't read it. Yes, it doesn't say so in the rules. But I know both MW and myself have stated several times that those three criteria are what we hope people will base their votes on.

I've seen some fantastic customs. But if it was based on the custom itself, there'd be no point in the one on one matches at all. Just put them all up to be voted on and whoever gets the most votes wins.

This was all stated, repeatedly, before the game started.

starwarsgeek

Self-explanatory
Aug 1, 2011
New Joisey
www.starwarsgeek.net
The point I'm trying to make is that, basically, I could have taken a Duke figure and swapped the head, and as someone already stated called him GOD. GOD can't die, can't be beaten, and therefore, the contest would basically be over before it began, because by those 'rules' for voting, I should get ALL the votes, based on my bio.

Yes or no?

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
I actually pointed something very similar out in the original contest discussion, months ago ("Someone should just make Batman, because Batman ALWAYS wins").

That's basically what Eddie did here. He made the Incredible Hulk and gave him a weapon to beat the one guy that Eddie thought might challenge him. So yeah, Hulk is essentially unbeatable if you just go by the bio.

Last edited:

XOC2008

Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
The point I'm trying to make is that, basically, I could have taken a Duke figure and swapped the head, and as someone already stated called him GOD. GOD can't die, can't be beaten, and therefore, the contest would basically be over before it began, because by those 'rules' for voting, I should get ALL the votes, based on my bio.

Yes or no?

Well, number one, this is a ridiculous thing to even put forth. Yes, if people adhered to those as RULES, but since they are merely a strong suggestion as to how we would like people to base their voting, then no. Because we'd figure that people would have common sense enough to take this at least somewhat seriously. For a damn contest involving toys.

Others have said they look at the bio and what if factor, and then factor in the custom quality. Others go in the reverse order. All we ask is that you IN SOME WAY try and incorporate those criteria into how you choose to vote.

Point is, vote however the fuck you want. But don't get mad if someone doesn't vote for you because they are following the criteria we based this on, rather than whatever you feel it should be based on. I say 'you' as a general you. I'm not trying to single anyone out.

But, if you don't like what we've suggested as the criteria, why even participate? I'm sure MW did this because he thought it would be fun. But god damn, some people are turning this into a fucking chore.

The Ewokhunter

Crazyass Cracker
Mar 14, 2011
thingsatwistedewokwouldsay.blogspot.com

Yes or no?

What if I create an Atheist? The atheist would win since GOD doesn't exist and thus there is no one there to fight, thus winner by default.

:trollface:

Byrnes

Ghetto Fabulous
Feb 29, 2012
Issue is there are people voting different ways and I think that is causing friction. Had the rules or voting been established when the contest was announced by Monkeywrench I think people would have done a different custom. I myself assumed it was a custom contest and had nothing to do with actually fighting anyone in a "what if" scenario. Many of us don't go through the threads after Monkeywrench posted the rules. If it isn't in the first thread I don't pay attention to it as I sure many others are like that also. I had no idea until I asked yesterday what the voting criteria was. That's when I was told 3 factors, Custom, Bio and then what if. Now that I know that, I will take all three into consideration when voting. I just feel bad for the guys who have already been knocked out as they may have not gotten a square vote by me for those 3 factors.

Bottom line:

There is no way to make everyone happy. Just enjoy it for what is(couple guys sitting around drinking beer and enjoying a hobby). We are not professional customizers doing this for money. These things are a major pain in the ass to put on and when people starting bitching chances are the host will never do it again cause of all the issues.

NOW let the games continue and enjoy!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
The Trooper would just shoot Hulk before he turned into Hulk.

If Banner can't even kill himself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwrkR3PELJ8&autoplay=1

I actually pointed something very similar out in the original contest discussion, months ago ("Someone should just make Batman, because Batman ALWAYS wins").

That's basically what Eddie did here. He made the Incredible Hulk and gave him a weapon to beat the one guy that Eddie thought might challenge him. So yeah, Hulk is essentially unbeatable if you just go by the bio.

Exactly! In that discussion you're referring to fogg, I think I even joked about using the Hulk as my entry and giving him kryptonite to have an unbeatable character...the more I thought about it, the more i realized it was a brilliant idea because IIRC, the point was "what if"...if it wasn't, if was just based on "coolest", then/we I could've just made the coolest custom ever and not included a weapons/powers at all...

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
Issue is there are people voting different ways and I think that is causing friction. Had the rules or voting been established when the contest was announced by Monkeywrench They still would have been ignored!
NOW let the games continue and enjoy!
Fixed it for ya,

I figured people were gonna vote however they want so when making mine I try to factor in.
1. Could he win in a fight.
2. Does it look cool.
3. Was the custom good.
4. If based on an established character; does that help or hurt in voting. My Skeletor, was good but I knew I'd lose votes because the chest piece I molded broke before taking pictures so he wasn't cartoon accurate (Although I wasn't really going in that direction to begin with.)
5. Sometimes you like a character, sometimes you don't so that plays in an X factor that's hard to judge.

In the end its a fun game that generally we are all enjoying.

Bloodbeast will now make dinosaurs extinct!!!!! (again)

letal

I Went Todash
May 8, 2013
Brazil

Of course there is a point in making matches for the customs, it allows people to vote several times for several different customs making the final remaining customs real strong finalists. And though it is a longer process allows people to talk about it and discuss each pair of customs.
What it is pointless, IMHO, is invite some really talented customizers (I can exclude myself from those, I just really like having GI-Joe figures, so I make them myself) to spend time and effort making a kick ass custom, writing an elaborated bio ... just to be judged by who is the more powerful fighter.
By this criteria .. then please give the prize to the Hulk and we can be done with it.
Maybe it was discussed in some thread what the bosses thought as a good criteria .. but really I hang out much more at the OG13 ... and may have missed it trough more than 200 post in the custom games thread.
But it is also good to remember people casting their votes most probably won't read trough all the posts to have an idea what the contests or the matches are about. So if the question over the choices is "Who wins?", it is very understandable most people will vote in the "character" they think would win the fight ... with a few exceptions (the customizers who are entering and the hosts most probably) most people won't even have read the "Custom Games" rules thread.
Bellow I copied what is in the thread and I will outline how I read it

"Concept:

Think "Hunger Games" only with custom 1:18th figures. Members will create a custom figure and submit them to the contest. The Contest will be set up in a bracket format, think college basketball. Each figure will be faced off in a 1 vs 1 situation and the forum votes on the winner until we only have 1 figure left.

Story:

Custom Games is the ultimate test for all customs. We are gathering the best warriors from the entire community (I believe the warriors here, are the customizers... or there are any Gladiators living among us) to see who will become our champion. The arena will be set up for a true battle. Each contestant may also bring in there own weapon(s) of choice to the arena. Every contestant needs to be prepared for anything and everything. We can only have one champion!"

So if a custom contest isn't about the customs ...

Honestly I don't think my entry stands a chance, by any of the criterias (unless there's a hidden criteria for the shiniest figure), as I said I just like making GI-Joe figures, and if is one of them is not that bad, why not put it in the contest. But some guys here really dispensed a lot of effort and talent in their customs and profiles, it just bothers me that some of that talented may go unrecognized.

Now that I spoke my mind...

Thank you Monkeywrench and Fighting1:18 for sponsoring such a great contest with some fantastic prizes and for supporting the customizing hobby.

I don't mean ill by anything I said to anybody, but I hope it serves as feedback for the next contest.
:wave:

Joerhyno

Enlisted
Aug 18, 2012
So... in all that quoted and bold mess... did they miss the whole "Hunger Games" part? I'm guessing they voted on the characters in the movie on looks alone, right? Oh... no, thats right, they fought to the death.

Before voting, I have a simulated battle in my head playing out who wins, I know... I need to get out more.

XOC2008

Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
So... in all that quoted and bold mess... did they miss the whole "Hunger Games" part? I'm guessing they vited on the characters in the movie on looks alone, right? Oh... no, thats right, they fought to the death.

Before votting, I have a simulated battle in my head playing out who wins, I know... I need to get out more.

:thumbsup: