Custom questions/ rant/ whine thread

Dark Horse

Ultimate Z-list celebrity
This is a vent/ rant/ whine thread so unless you like that sort of thing, best you not read any further ;)

Ok guys, I need some serious feedback here. I know you guys are honest and don't have to worry about fucktard mods so you can give it to me straight.
I'll post some scenarios and you post what you would do if you were in the same situation.

1. - You go to a convention run by a friend. The subject is quite niche, but not too much. Some guys from Boss fight studios are there, and they have some customs on display, directly copied from your work. You politely ask about the customs and mention it to a few other friends, then guys who have nothing to do with the situation get involved and start talking a load of shit, backing up the Boss fight guys. How would you react?

2. A guy on a well known site PMs you and asks you to enter a competition they are running. They tell you the rules and the deadline, and prizes. You spend three months on a massive project. Then the deadline comes around but other guys haven't entered. The guy running it extends the deadline because the other guys he invited are his friends. They still let him down. The comp gets cancelled. I say run a feature anyway as the guy running the comp also made some figures. He ignores me. I eventually post the customs. He ignores them. Not even a thank you.

3. Another comp, just a small fun one. Guy posts a vague deadline. I submit my entry for fun just at the deadline. No one else enters. I PM the guy if my entry is ok, he got the pic etc, he ignores me. Then he posts in another thread about guys trying to get a "default win" at the last second and then says "no, nice try". That was a day after I PMed him if the entry was cool.
The "prize" was $3 worth of MotUC weapons :rolleyes:

Please guys, some honest feedback. No need to sugarcoat anything ;)

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
2 and 3 definitely reek of douchebaggery. On its face, scenario 1 could be a case of great minds thinking alike being tainted by fanboy fuckery.

MMorelock66

Isn't a Gijoe fan
Apr 4, 2012
the land of Virginia
1. Ok, if someone bluntly copies your custom, that's some shit. I feel as if he was inspired by your work, that wouldn't be too big of a deal. But when someone else gets involved when he has nothing to do with it, tell that guy to fuck off.

2. See the last part of #1.

3. Challenge the guy. Ask him why he was sub referring to you about a default win. Hell, it's not your fault the others were lazy fucks.

Dark Horse

Thanks guys. The custom in question was a complete ripoff. He even used the same cobrastickers.com logo place in exactly the same place, on a base not even remotely associated with the charater that I used first.

Here's another -

You buy a lot of weapons, in the lot is a crappy cartoon character figure. You promise it to a guy three months before release for free. A lot of other guys need the figure also. You get the figure, ask the guy if he still wants it. He says yeah, and asks if he can have one of the weapons also. Both for free. Do you tell him to fuck off for being greedy?

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
1) I don't honestly think it's that big of a deal if someone copies someone else's custom ideas, unless there's money involved. Then it's an intellectual property issue, of sorts. That's just my opinion, though.

I don't see why other people feel the need to get involved.

2) Kinda shady.

3) Kind of a dick move.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Here's another -

You buy a lot of weapons, in the lot is a crappy cartoon character figure. You promise it to a guy three months before release for free. A lot of other guys need the figure also. You get the figure, ask the guy if he still wants it. He says yeah, and asks if he can have one of the weapons also. Both for free. Do you tell him to fuck off for being greedy?

Enh, I dunno. You already made the offer of the figure for free, presumably, so it's really just a question of 'should the weapon be free' not 'should I give this guy both of these for nothing'.

Although he should at least offer shipping, I'd think. :)

What do you mean by "before release", though?

Dark Horse

1) I don't honestly think it's that big of a deal if someone copies someone else's custom ideas, unless there's money involved. Then it's an intellectual property issue, of sorts. That's just my opinion, though.

I don't see why other people feel the need to get involved.

It was at a con, so money kind of was involved. They were paid to be there.
Money is not my peeve though, just the credit.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
It was at a con, so money kind of was involved. They were paid to be there.
Money is not my peeve though, just the credit.

They won't/can't give you credit, because when they sell a design to the club, Hasbro or whoever then by giving you credit they might be in a legal position to either pay you for the design or have to prove they came up with it first.

Yes you did come up with the design & post it, but 5 other people would gladly claim the same thing if they thought they could make a buck. Which sucks.

If they did sell the design all you need to do is point to your custom that you posted first.

- Why other people get involved? Sadly there probably is money involved at some point.