Mattel losers Hasbro winners

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Current DCMU figures aside, they're both eating dicks in that department.

Jrsmi6

Leprechan Hunter
It bodes well for hasbro to that they will making Disney princess toys. Looks like Disney is happy with how they have handle the Marvel and Star Wars properties so they are trusting them with their other big names. Now if only DC would pull their heads out of Mattel's ass maybe we could get a decent Batman action figure.

Last edited:

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
CoD Megabloks are about the only Mattel toy I'd touch with a 10-ft pole, and since they are a recent acquisition, I'm sure that they'll find a way screw them up soon enough.

My daughter likes disney princess stuff, but I look forward to seeing what Hasbro can do with them, although I don't know if my daughter will still have interest by then.

Vortious

Officer II
Feb 13, 2013
I don't know I think the DC Multiverse line is moving in the right direction, but it's just a couple of POAs short of where it should be. All they need to add is ankle rockers, bicep swivel, and a torso joint of some sort either ab crunch, or torso pivot like the older MU/MI figures had would be fine. Though Hasbro recently removed those, AND the wrist articulation which these have. So in terms of figure design Mattel is moving forward by leaps, and bounds while Hasbro is taking LARGE steps backwards. Add to that the fact that the AoU line coming out this summer will have 2 sizes NEITHER of which is compatible with what we all collect, and I'm really not liking the direction that Hasbro looks to be going. I mean who here want some 2.5" GI Joes, and Marvel figures? None of us, but that is the way Hasbro is looking to take the smaller line. They want to go w/ 1:24 scale that's fine, but don't forget about the scale that launched one of your most successful lines. Plus what the hell is up w/ those giant hollow Star Wars "toys" they have out right now? Titan series? PLEASE!!!! More like Titanic waste of plastic series. I saw a Millennium Falcon on the shelf at a Walmart I don't go to very often the other day, and thought maybe it was one that was left over from a few years back, and picked it up, and I swear the box probably weighed more than the "toy" inside. All those things are good for is hanging from the ceiling.

Vortious

Officer II
Feb 13, 2013
Oh I saw that Falcon too! A waste of plastic just like the Rebels X-Wing. I'm sure lots of kids are wondering how to get their figure inside. That Titan junk take up a lot of space!

It's just like their "Titans" series figures WTH are they thinking? Just keep making what has been selling for decades in the articulation of the more recent decade, NOT articulation from 35-40 years ago, and you'll make money. Is ANYONE buying those big 5 poa statues?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Oh I saw that Falcon too! A waste of plastic just like the Rebels X-Wing. I'm sure lots of kids are wondering how to get their figure inside. That Titan junk take up a lot of space!

That X-Wing is the closest we'll ever get to 1:18. I was kind of hyped, then discovered there was no cockpit or separate s-foils. The cockpit can be fixed, I wouldn't no where to start on the s-foils. A real damn shame.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I wonder if the "Hobbyist" market killed the quality for the mass market releases? If the big companies know there will be expensive figures out there to satiate the biggest toy nerds, they can produce figures for the lowest common denominator?

Vortious

Officer II
Feb 13, 2013
I wonder if the "Hobbyist" market killed the quality for the mass market releases? If the big companies know there will be expensive figures out there to satiate the biggest toy nerds, they can produce figures for the lowest common denominator?

No I think that they're just getting lazy. Plus they see that allot of kids are going more for the video games, so they're like who gives an F? Though if I was a big toy company I'd be looking for ways to either pull kids back to the toys, OR incorporate video game play INTO a toy line. Like the line of GI Joe style figures from back in the 80's that was directly connected to the show. I kind of remember the line, but I can't seem to remember all of the details. I'm sure you guys remember what I'm talking about.

Hasbro could do a line like the Disney Infinity, or Skylanders games where you get these really cool articulated figures, and a code pod thing that if you have the figure you unlock the character on the game. The articulated figure can still be used AS A FIGURE even if the power is out, or the kid can't play the game for whatever reason.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I don't think there is anything "lazy" about it, they are just recognizing the marketplace isn't requiring them to provide quality products, and if they can save money by cutting costs/features/etc so be it.

No one has ever been able to prove or document the % of sales that the "Hobbyist" group accounts for. We all think we're huge, but since no one seems to be doing us any favors or courting us, I have to imagine at the end of the day it's a pretty small drop in the bucket.

If they realized Tom, and Harry Dick are just a likely to buy a 5 POA licensed figure as a fully articulated licensed figure with accessories.. well.. there isn't much reason to spend the extra money. Artistic quality be damned :)

And, as I was saying, there are 'PREMIUM' lines now to cater to the market that got left in the cold, Acid Rain, Kickstarter stuff.. etc. They probably saw the idiots buying 400 Steel Brigade figures and thought "There's a bunch of idiots we can make a ton of money off of!" Frankly, I'm surprised Hasbro hasn't come out with a "GI JOE: Black" edition where the figures are all $15 each minimum.

I thought Hasbro had a hand in one of those game ones.. but maybe not. I think it'd be cool to have one for a Star Wars game or GI JOE, so with Disney owning Star Wars and being buddies with Hasbro.. could see a spin off happening.