My Hoth Diorama NO PHOTOSHOP 140+ SQ FT

Zipidi Doodah

Enlisted
Jan 30, 2013
This dio is in my living room. Thanks for looking. No photoshop in any picture. Here is my youtube channel: TojoYomamoto - YouTube and FB: https://www.facebook.com/zipidi

Pix:

My tutorial on how to build the explosions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi5r1bTDNpE

Thanks again for looking.

Barry

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
That is FANTASTIC.

I know you've got the YouTube tutorial, but would it be possible to do a step-by-step here as well?

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
For as fantastic as everything is...and something I could NEVER duplicate...ever....the Darktrooper and Vader are out of place. I do love the posing on Vader though..that's pure awesomeness.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
That is fantastic! Amazing detail in that and the fact that there is no photo shop is simply awesome! It really looks like something that could be used in a movie.

Zipidi Doodah

Enlisted
Jan 30, 2013
........Wow.

That is FANTASTIC.

I know you've got the YouTube tutorial, but would it be possible to do a step-by-step here as well?

Thanks so much. I sure can.

For the explosion effect, you'll need:
Chicken wire
Polyfiber fill material ( found at Walmart, in the craft section, in a pillow shaped bag. This works well for smoke too, when lightly painted black.)
Spray paints (yellow, orange, red and black)
Light bulb ( for inside your house, 13w fluorescent bulb is fine. BEWARE OF FIRE, AS THIS WILL GET HOT!)
Lightbulb adapter ($1 at Walmart. One end plugs into an extension cord, the other end receives the light bulb.)
An extension cord

Cut 2 sections of chicken wire. Leave prongs sticking out, as tabs to connect everything together. One 12" x 4" (this will be the base. It's a rectangle shape now. Make it into a tube by connecting the ends. The other piece needed will be for the top of this mushroom cloud shaped frame, so cut the other piece around 16" square, and shape into a mildly flattened ball (not exactly round).
Join the tube shaped base to the mushroom shaped head, using the prongs as bendable tabs.

Pack each hole lightly in the exterior of the frame using the polyfill material (it's like cotton), until the entire frame is filled.

Paint in this order:
Yellow
Orange
Red
Then, paint the tips black(where the polyfill pokes out the most)

Now, put a light under it and enjoy.

THE LIGHT WILL GET HOT, SO DON'T LEAVE ON LONG OR UNATTENDED.
USE PARENTAL SUPERVISION.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
That Luke (i think) and Vader pic is so kicka$$!

Hoth was/is the reason Empire was/is my fave of all the SW films...very very nice work man...thanks for sharing here...

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I tried this myself (using your youtube tutorial) and thought the brighter the bulb the better...I got a 200w bulb!...it looks awesome in person, but no matter what I did with the camera, it was just WAY too bright...it was like pointing the camera at the sun, lol...what did work quite well was a yellow party type bulb...in person it looks really dull, but on film looks just right...

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Very well done! I'm not a huge SW guy, but you definitely captured the spirit of the Hoth scenes (to me at least).

Zipidi Doodah

Enlisted
Jan 30, 2013
I tried this myself (using your youtube tutorial) and thought the brighter the bulb the better...I got a 200w bulb!...it looks awesome in person, but no matter what I did with the camera, it was just WAY too bright...it was like pointing the camera at the sun, lol...what did work quite well was a yellow party type bulb...in person it looks really dull, but on film looks just right...

I know what you mean, regarding the brightness. I tried a 100w regular bulb, and it was too bright. I tried LEDs; not bright enough. For outside shots, the 200w would be good. I'm glad you made it.

Thanks again for the great feedback!

oddball

Enlisted
Mar 14, 2011
wow. my wife gets ticked if i put a die cast car in the living room!!!! That Hoth is awesome!!!!!!!! Can i sleep over?????

Zipidi Doodah

Enlisted
Jan 30, 2013
Thanks so much everyone for the kind words.

wow. my wife gets ticked if i put a die cast car in the living room!!!! That Hoth is awesome!!!!!!!! Can i sleep over?????

You may be using the wrong brand of chloroform, oddball. Walmart has some in their 'Great Value' line. Cheaper, and it does the trick when your wife is... shall we say, hesitant about your collection.

Regarding the sleepover..... Checkout time is 11AM. No complimentary breakfast, though.
I'm just kidding. There is a complimentary breakfast.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Light bulb ( for inside your house, 13w fluorescent bulb is fine. BEWARE OF FIRE, AS THIS WILL GET HOT!)
Lightbulb adapter ($1 at Walmart. One end plugs into an extension cord, the other end receives the light bulb.)
An extension cord

I don't suppose it's something you could rig to be battery operated? With a bright LED, say?

Zipidi Doodah

Enlisted
Jan 30, 2013
I don't suppose it's something you could rig to be battery operated? With a bright LED, say?

I've tried a normal sized explosion with 3 extremely bright LED flashlights, pointing in different directions, and it was very dull, regarding its brightness.

Zipidi Doodah

Enlisted
Jan 30, 2013
Good to know - I guess I've just got to hide the cords, then. :proposetoast:

That's what I did with my cords. Btw, here is a pic of my 1st attempt at the explosion, using LED lights. You'll notice that the room is pretty dark, and the explosion is still dim. If you flip the lights on, you can hardly see it.

Bravestarr

Molon Labe!
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
Very, very impressive dio!

Best Hoth Battle sequence I have ever seen.

Welcome!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Not trying to hijack, but here's a practice one my cat invaded :D

Hmmm, maybe I should just put this in the pets thread...

Zipidi Doodah

Enlisted
Jan 30, 2013
Not trying to hijack, but here's a practice one my cat invaded :D

Hmmm, maybe I should just put this in the pets thread...

That's hilarious. Our Bengal cats got into my Hoth room and thought that the smoke stacks were for climbing.... Bad kitty!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
How many Bengals do you have?...share some pics in the pets theead...we've got two...our first one (pictured) is the baddest a$$ cat ever!...he's just so, cool...so confident, so relaxed, adorable etc etc...our other one is pretty similar to Butters on Southpark...always nervous, lol...

Zipidi Doodah

Enlisted
Jan 30, 2013
How many Bengals do you have?...share some pics in the pets theead...we've got two...our first one (pictured) is the baddest a$$ cat ever!...he's just so, cool...so confident, so relaxed, adorable etc etc...our other one is pretty similar to Butters on Southpark...always nervous, lol...

We have 2 Bengals. My wife and I noticed your Bengal in the pic. Here's one of ours

We have 3 long haired Chihuahuas, 2 Bengals and 2 horses. I'll have to take more pix for the pet thread.

Here's one of the Chihuahuas

Apologies for going off topic. Thanks again everyone!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Pffft, don't apologize for going off topic...I DARE you to find a thread that doesn't...we pride ourselves here for our ability to derail a thread in record time :D

Mswi

Teabagging Ninja
Feb 16, 2012
Everytime I come across pics of your Dio I'm blown away! the attenton to detail, the effects, all awesome!