Ripcord by Cloud Strife (AirborneRigger Inspired)

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
I put the finishing touches on my AirborneRigger inspired custom Ripcord (His Ripcord is fantastic and can be viewed here: http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-j.../229707-modern-ripcord-airbornes-customs.html). I made a few changes to his recipe, namely the vest and parachute. I did opt out of putting the backpack around his legs as I don't care much for it aesthetically.

Like I said before, this is inspired by AirborneRigger's Ripcord and I can't take credit for the recipe. I couldn't help adding a similar one to my own collection though.

Recipe:

Head - POC Dusty
Torso, Arms, and Vest - POC Shock Trooper
Legs, Parachute Harness and Helmet w/O2 Tank - Renegades Ripcord
Parachute - Best of 80's Cobra Paratrooper
Altimeter - Piece of round plastic found in my fodder bin. Cut, glued and painted
Gun - Marauder's. The same on I used for Lady Jaye. It'll be replaced with their modular M4 once I get one...

Last edited:

thelegoguy

Enlisted
Mar 16, 2011
Holy shit!!!!!! If they sold a fig like that I would army build the hell outta that. Perfect 10!!!!!!

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Thanks, guys! Glad you dig him.

I was reminded why I don't particularly like painting Tiger Stripe camo as it took me close to 20 hours to complete this figure. Heck, I won't even see his camo underneath the vest since he'll be displayed with all of the gear on him. I know it wasn't necessary to paint the camo on his torso where it wasn't going to be visible, but I wasn't exactly sure how I was going to have him displayed when I first started working on him and call it OCD, but it would bug me if I didn't paint the torso as well.

Beautiful!...nice detail on his altimeter...

Though, overall, he could use a dull coat?

Glad you caught the detail on the altimeter! I gave it the red strip and painted a thin black line for the needle on it.

He doesn't look as glossy as he turned out in the pics when you're looking at him in person, but I think it wouldn't hurt. I might try and give him a clear flat coat soon.

*EDIT*

Also, I might try and retake some pics tonight as the first 4 are kind of blurry. I was trying to rush and get them taken and uploaded before going to bed last night.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Looks good. I would have used the thigh pouches for a machine gunner, but that's me.

Man, my tigerstripe paintjob was a bit more intricate and it didn't take me 20 hours. You're doing something wrong. ;)

Last edited:

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Looks good. I would have used the thigh pouches for a machine gunner, but that's me.

Man, my tigerstripe paintjob was a bit more intricate and it didn't take me 20 hours. You're doing something wrong. ;)

Yeah, I wasn't sure about those pouches myself, but I figured that if a military certified paratrooper and parachute rigger would let them slide on his custom, who was I to argue. Also, instead of just gluing or popping the pouches on to the straps, they made it where the straps are connected inside the back of the pouches... Stupid Hasbro.

Who knows? Maybe my method is too laborious and time could be reduced w/out having to sacrifice quality. A few of those hours were actually spent painting the head, the gear, rigging the MC4 parachute to that particular harness (I cut the area where straps originally came through the parachute and hollowed it out a bit so that it would look like the new harness' straps were being fed through it), and other little odds an ends, but the majority of the time was spent working on the camo.

Nice version, love the cammo.

Thanks, Rick!

I forgot to mention before, but the gun looks freaking awesome!

Thanks, Eddie! It's actually the same one I used with my custom Lady Jaye that I posted about a month ago. Needed something to stand in for the photos until I get some more Marauder guns.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Always argue!

Anyway, it looks great, even if you stoled the concept. :D

red4

Enlisted
Feb 25, 2012
I knew you were racist. Ripcord is clearly supposed to be black across all universes.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
I knew you were racist. Ripcord is clearly supposed to be black across all universes.

Haha... Like Nick Fury, right? I suppose the new Nick Fury is Nick Fury, Jr., but it doesn't escape the fact that Nick Fury is being replaced by a black version that strongly resembles his Ultimate and movie counterpart. Gah, I can't stand Samuel L. Jackson.

red4

Enlisted
Feb 25, 2012
Haha... Like Nick Fury, right? I suppose the new Nick Fury is Nick Fury, Jr., but it doesn't escape the fact that Nick Fury is being replaced by a black version that strongly resembles his Ultimate and movie counterpart. Gah, I can't stand Samuel L. Jackson.

I don't know what happened when or where, but Sam Jackson licensed his likeness to Marvel several years before the first Iron Man movie. It is not coincidence that he was cast to play Nick Fury, because his likeness had been Nick Fury for several years prior to his first cameo in Iron Man 1.

But you're right. I'm obviously kidding about Ripcord.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
I know you were kidding about Ripcord, man. I was just venting over this whole Nick Fury, Jr. debacle taking place in the Marvel Universe. I don't know why I care as I quit reading comics awhile back b/c of the stupid crap they started doing to the characters and canon.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
I don't know what happened when or where, but Sam Jackson licensed his likeness to Marvel several years before the first Iron Man movie. It is not coincidence that he was cast to play Nick Fury, because his likeness had been Nick Fury for several years prior to his first cameo in Iron Man 1.

But you're right. I'm obviously kidding about Ripcord.

I'm reasonably confident that Jackson hadn't licensed his likeness to Marvel for their Ultimate line (the mainstream Nick Fury is and always has been Caucasian) - I believe Bryan Hitch and Mark Millar asked permission (or possibly even just put him in and checked later, since that's Millar's style) and he gave it, but I've never heard anything about licensing prior to the movie deal(s).

I can check with Bryan and see how that happened, though, if you want.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
I'm reasonably confident that Jackson hadn't licensed his likeness to Marvel for their Ultimate line (the mainstream Nick Fury is and always has been Caucasian) - I believe Bryan Hitch and Mark Millar asked permission (or possibly even just put him in and checked later, since that's Millar's style) and he gave it, but I've never heard anything about licensing prior to the movie deal(s).

Do you know Bryan Hitch, or are you going to Tweet him?

red4

Enlisted
Feb 25, 2012

I assumed it was licensed, since there was no legal issue. But I guess there are other ways to do it besides licensing.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Do you know Bryan Hitch, or are you going to Tweet him?

I know him. It's as a fan, but we've had dinner together & hung out & such.

I assumed it was licensed, since there was no legal issue. But I guess there are other ways to do it besides licensing.

Yeah, they often play fast & loose with that kind of thing in comics. Mark Millar & JG Jones used Eminem's likeness in Wanted because (the story goes) Millar wanted him to play the character in the movie.

Last edited:

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Phenominal work Strife! You could always go the "combat shirt" route in the future to save time, just painting the arms and leaving the torso OD or tan.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Phenominal work Strife! You could always go the "combat shirt" route in the future to save time, just painting the arms and leaving the torso OD or tan.

*Hangs head after seeing this*

I could have saved so much time if I would have just done more research, lol.

So, now I have a question. Does the shirt that the Shock Trooper figure is wearing usually a solid color around the torso, or does it have camouflage?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
ST's torso is actually a good one for the combat shirt treatment.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Well, the concept of the combat shirt is that the solid area will be covered by body armor anyway, so camo is not needed there. If he doesn't get armor, it's best to just go conventional.