Rolling Thunder Command Vehicle

Tenerifecrimson

Enlisted
Jul 23, 2011
Tenerife island
I have some Rolling Thunder and as I am a fan of the Snar 10 vehicle I had the idea to modify a Rolling Thunder as a command vehicle.

I am gone replaced the turret by a radar and a big antenna, the main problem is the height inside to allow a figure to stand up.

I had cut off the floor and made a new one.

I cut off on the front compartment a hole to put a hatch to allow the crews to pass from one compartment to the other.

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
cool stuff...can't wait to see what you do. I have a hull with wheels here as well...thought of making something cool someday out of it...

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Not familiar with this vehicle, but looks like it could be a very detailed custom with lots of goodies.

Tenerifecrimson

Enlisted
Jul 23, 2011
Tenerife island
Keeping work on it, today I have paint the interior in bright white and also put the deck cover.

Here is the front compartment:

The rear of the command compartment, where you gone have the radar screen:

The front of the command compartment with the UAV / Satelite Imaging screen and to come on the side: the transmission post.

Here are fews of the items I have to put inside:

One of the radios (note the hole on the left corner for the screen with the led behind); an other radio; the extinguishers and the NBC system.
Of course here is just the firts coat.

Now I have to work on the light system for the screens and the inside.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Here's just an idea.

Look in Best Buy ads. There are always little ads for monitors that sometimes show a video game like COD on them. I've used in a couple dios on the little JOE & PTE laptop screens and as a control room large monitors.

Tenerifecrimson

Enlisted
Jul 23, 2011
Tenerife island
Today I have work on the electric parts:

Here you can see it: Some of them gone work with a 2 chanels remote (the radar, alarm flash lights and road lights) For the inside and screens lights I'm using a switch with a 9V battery.

The problem was: where can I hide the battery and the switch? The only one place easy to acces is on the computers wall on the rear right side.

For the Remote systems: The radar and flash lights system take place under the radar, the second one take place under the cockpit.

Here is the main power unit (completly home made) with the switch on the side:

Here is the transmission post:

The cockpit where you can see the holes for the lights:

The rear side of the command post:

And to have an idea of what i can look like when it's finished but laso to check for the cables I have placed the different parts of the command post:

Tenerifecrimson

Enlisted
Jul 23, 2011
Tenerife island
I have finish to work on the lights. Here is the remote part that control the road lights and the inside lights.

Here you can the the front lights and the cockpit lights:

The paintwork of the cockpit:

The new ramp:

Before painting:

After painting:

Here the the UAV pilot post:

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah boy!

Hey, any pics of what this looks like off the shelf. Never seen this before

malcadon

H8ter4life
Mar 14, 2011
Pimpvile
I really like it.

As I say on other projects like this - I like seeing the once absurdly well-protected (with lots and lots of missiles facing in all directions) and overly well-armed - usually with some strange and useless design concept shoehorned in - combat vehicles turned to more sensible workhorses. I cant wait to see how it will end.

Keep-up the good work!

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Wow! That is an insane vehicle. As a kid that would have been awesome to play with.

Today it looks awesome. but unrealistic but still wicked cool. I love the gun stations with seating.

Can't wait to see what you transform this beast into.

Tenerifecrimson

Enlisted
Jul 23, 2011
Tenerife island
A lot of work so not a lot of time to work on my models.

Here you can see the blue color of the inside and some more details on the vehicle like tow parts on the front, the exhaust, the place where I am going to put the antena mat and few more things like tools:

Next big job gone be the radar system that must work with a remote.

malcadon

H8ter4life
Mar 14, 2011
Pimpvile
Your project is making me so happy, I burst into song!

...and that may or may not be my sword. ;)

Tenerifecrimson

Enlisted
Jul 23, 2011
Tenerife island
Still a little more work done:

I had closed the front part with a hatch:

Also I've start to work on the gatling to put on the front:

And here is the radar, I still have to put the base with the engine to make it turn:

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
you know what's a great tease? this wip.

Now that I know what the original looks like I can't wait to see an expanded full shot. These shots of particular parts is a treat and tease at the same time.

AJWW2

Enlisted
Sep 8, 2011
NY
Amazing! Fricking epic! This is going to be amazing when it is done.

Fantastic job man!

AJ

Tenerifecrimson

Enlisted
Jul 23, 2011
Tenerife island
As the inside is finish, I've start to work on the outside and the camo. The base is the Nato green, brown is the nato brown and the black isn't nato black lol. The Tamiya colors don't match very well with the original nato black, so I've made my own color with 3/4 flat black 1/4 german grey.

And here is the hatch: