SDCC 2012 Shockwave HISS Review

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
I finally got pictures done and went over the figures for the Shockwave HISS. First thing that was a disappointment was static treads. It does look good for display but I'm just not a fan of them. Everything else was pretty cool since it's a crossover type of exclusive. A 1:18th (sort of) scale Soundwave? WINNING! The BAT is just different colors and Destro has some cool Decepticon gear on.

Packaging:

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Shockwave HISS:

Like I mentioned earlier, I'm not a fan of static treads. They were great for the original HISS but it's time to move on. They do look nice with the tank though which is difficult for me to say since I am not a fan of the new design. It's not all that bad but still rocking a glass canopy is so 1980's. Let's protect that driver, Cobra. :D

The tank has two options for the turret. You can put a shooting missile on it or put the Shockwave attachment to make it look real good! The missile is kind of dumb. Some people may like it but I'm willing to bet it's the minority. The guns could be put elsewhere on the tank but they don't look decent anywhere else. There is of course extra spots like on the tank design but you can tell they are made for the back.

The worst part about the whole thing is when it's in "attack mode" the main cannon is pointing down and you can't set up the Gatling guns to shoot forward since they click into a position. This is a major flaw I feel. You go through all this to make a cool set and do one stupid error like that? So what to do? Well, you can get an earlier HISS with working treads and fix it. It's not just a take apart and switch parts though. You will need to dremel a little bit so if it's not a huge issue let it be. If it is like it was for me you'll chance it and make it right.

They did make putting the treads on idiot resistant. I'm sure someone will put more than the 5 seconds of thought needed into the project of them. Unlike the other newer HISS tanks, these treads just have a part that moves forward for "attack mode". Attack mode puts the driver in the glass canopy as a larger target and none of the guns are aimed. Well done big H!

It's a cool concept though. Crossovers are interesting when done right and they did a decent job on the whole set even if it is a crappy new HISS tank. There is a Shockwave head that goes where the front guns normally would.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Five decepticon sigils?...overkill much?...and one of them has a big hole in the center?...

You're gonna have to show us this tread switch man...I'm gonna need to do it also...

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
I'll take it apart tonight and show what I did. I put a few pictures in the "what's everybody up to" thread.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'm getting there...I work from the bottom of "new posts" up...

How hard is it to come across the threaded HISS you used?

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
I'm getting there...I work from the bottom of "new posts" up...

How hard is it to come across the threaded HISS you used?

Tuesday Mornings, Marshalls and maybe cheap on e bay. I basically paid $18 for one part. I think fogger may take the driver though.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
I'll be out and about Thursday so I'll check a few places for POC and Crimson HISS tanks. If anyone is interested just shoot me a PM. Basically, it would be about $10 if I keep the driver. Shipping can probably be about $5 I'd assume. That is if it's just the treads and the part needed. I'd take apart the tank to save shipping.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, that's for sure better...got a pic of it in the down position?...are the canopies the same mold for the SDCC and earlier HISSes?...might be cool to switch colors if so...

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
The first pic is the down position. The canopy is different on the POC/Crimson HISS but you can make it work. There will be a slight gap at the bottom where it would normally shut. I would think with a little work it could sit right. I'll have to tool with it. I'll show comparisons later.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
I'll do those pictures later too. I plan on taking it apart to show what needs to be done for the conversion. I didn't see anything showing what needs to be modified and cut. Just showing what it looks like once done.

Dr Syn

humerus
Mar 27, 2011
I rather like this purple death machine. Pity it can't actually transform, or that they haven't made a Transforming HiSS Tank at any size class in the Transformer lines.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The thing I love about the tread switch is how much beefier the POC treads are and how it makes it appear more hunkered down...the thing I like about the SDCC treads is the bit of
extra length they have...still a MUCH better trade off for the functionality AND beef

Dr Syn

humerus
Mar 27, 2011
Cool mod for the tracks swapping. I think I prefer the newer plastic treads, the shape gives it a better oddity looking Sci-Fi Vibe which suit HiSS tanks, especially Shockwave as a Hiss Tank. But that's just me. I love the weirder stuff.

Why Syn, why?...why bring up such an awesome idea that will never happen?

:(

Now that I think about it...

There was this guy:

Signal Flare. A scout sized Autobot from the Energon line of 2004.

Early ideas had Hasbro using a HiSS tank for his alt mode.

But they went with the Half Track MASER Tank to fight the scout sized Terricon Cruellock who looks a lot like GINO (the American Godzilla design from the late 90s)

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
And Cobra did a piss poor design with the treads. If you turn the tank all the way around it falls over. Who the 'eff is their engineer? Do they just make stuff or actually research how it will work? No wonder they have not taken over the world yet.

Bravestarr

Molon Labe!
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
Cool review, MAJ!

Interesting part about the treads, but I am hopeful it's not too much work to rotate revolving ones in.