Shrink Casting. Does anyone here do it?

ShipShape1983

Its THAT guy...
Sep 17, 2013
NJ
I'm experimenting with casting for the first time.

Just simple stuff using mold putty to make the mold and then casting in resin.

I'd like to shrink cast a head sculpt, but not really sure where to start or what to use.

Does anyone here know how to shrink cast? and can make me a mold from the shrunken cast?

I assume that would be the easiest method.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Tofujesse for sure, and I suspect starwarsgeek might.

Vortious

Officer II
Feb 13, 2013
I've tried it, but it's kind of a pain if you're shrinking 6" scale to 4" scale, because the material shrinks by half. I have a friend over in Washington state who's been experimenting with it, and he's gotten really good, so I just make the molds of the larger items, and send them to him to shrink them. I should be getting some shrunken pieces in from him soon.

Another way to do it is with a 3D scanner, and printer set up. You can scan the cast into your pc, shrink it digitally, and then print it back out whatever size you want.

starwarsgeek

Self-explanatory
Aug 1, 2011
New Joisey
www.starwarsgeek.net
I've tried it, but it's kind of a pain if you're shrinking 6" scale to 4" scale, because the material shrinks by half.

Not really. You can vary the amount of shrinkage by varying the amount of water:material ratio you use. But the material sucks, as it's like wet tissue paper when it's cured so it's nearly impossible to pull a good copy from your mold unless you make the mold exactly as it needs to be to remove that wet tissue paper copy cleanly. I've ripped 99% of the items that I've tried to shrink just removing them from the master molds.

Vortious

Officer II
Feb 13, 2013
This is sounding more and more complicated...

Which is why even though I have done it w/ a couple of items, when my buddy out in Washington asked me if I'd be interested in copying some heads he shrank, and he showed me the size comparisons of the shrunken ones next to official 4" heads I was like hell yeah!

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
The smooth on website shows doing it by adding solvent to the mold silicon. Increasing the amount of solvent increases the shrink rate,as well as time given to allow the solvent to a capitate from the molds.

FAQ: How do I enlarge or shrink a casting?

I'm still in the practicing stages of casting,but do have a pressure pot. I'd love to shrink winter soldier 6" black widow. Now that I have a couple from target's 50% off clearance I'd feel more comfortable chopping one up,and giving it a try one day:D

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
^
That'll be some day..long time from now. Gotta master regular casting first,lol.