Ultimate Duke Mods

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
Let's start by taking a look at what I've done on one of these, compared to factory -
Notice the pecs and elbows. Eddie: doesn't look that bad, does it?

Here's the pec area "deflated", next to the factory one -
(dremel used to shave outer pecs down to size)

For the elbows/forearms... cut a "V" right at the forearm side of the elbow joint -

The "V" cut is slightly wider than a 45 angle, so it's more of a flat cut as opposed to a sharp, deep cut. Also, I trimmed a small layer right down from the front of the bicep to the elbow joint - (sorry, it's a bit blurry)

Doing the pec deflate and the elbow/forearm cuts, enables him to hold his weapon much tighter against the body... even with a typical Shocktrooper vest on -
(factory Duke vest WILL have to be trimmed at the pec/front shoulders to get anywhere near the same effect)

Here's a few different arm combos -

3-pack FF arms

Shocktrooper arms

And FF's uppers (same as Shocks) with Duke's lowers

Any questions, please ask.

Last edited:

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
Opps... thought I put that in there. Added dremel usage to post.

When using a demel for this, go slow and be as precise with it as possible. Try to take thin layers at one time. If you push too hard, you can very easily gouge into the pec more than you want to.

Once you get one side where you want it, and have test fitted the arm, do your best to repeat the process on the other side. It's very easy to do, and once you've done it, you should have no problem doing it again.

Last edited:

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
So I guess he can't hold weapons very well even if you take the vest off?

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
Good work. Is it just be, or am I the only one who feels the consumer shouldn't have to do this much work after purchasing the figure?

HeelJoe

Is singin' in Acid Rain
Jan 23, 2013
Midlands - UK
This is just what I needed to know & even better see how it's done. Especially after taking photos the weekend just gone & getting royally f'd off with the figure not holding a weapon in two hands. Thanks Obi!

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
Thank you! Those are the mods I made on my Chris Kyle custom after seeing you mention it before....glad to see I did it the same way. :D

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Obi, when I put up the Duke review I'm gonna put a link in the article to this tutorial since Duke's poseability sucks so bad without the mods.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
Sounds good. I've always said... if there's something I can do/show/whatever to help people, I'm all for it. I'm just happy that people have used this with success.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Opps... thought I put that in there. Added dremel usage to post.

When using a demel for this, go slow and be as precise with it as possible. Try to take thin layers at one time. If you push too hard, you can very easily gouge into the pec more than you want to.

Once you get one side where you want it, and have test fitted the arm, do your best to repeat the process on the other side. It's very easy to do, and once you've done it, you should have no problem doing it again.

I figured you'd used the Dremel, but wanted to be sure. :thumbsup:

I'll have to try this soon!

Ridgeback

Enlisted
Jun 6, 2012
I modded one of my Dukes the Obi way and it works nicely. Too bad that the stock vest needs to be trimmed so much in order to grant the fig more mobility.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
I modded one of my Dukes the Obi way and it works nicely. Too bad that the stock vest needs to be trimmed so much in order to grant the fig more mobility.

Great to hear, and yes... too bad on the vest. Although, I'm not a fan of that vest, so it doesn't bother me - I don't use them!

"The Obi way"... I am sooo using that.

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011
Great to hear, and yes... too bad on the vest. Although, I'm not a fan of that vest, so it doesn't bother me - I don't use them!

"The Obi way"... I am sooo using that.

Obi Wei...half Japanese, half Chinese kung fu master, lol.

Excellent tutorial. Some day I'll actually mod a figure the Obi way.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA

It's quite baggy/loose around the bottom, and the arm holes are too small/tight to allow the arms to get the "tight" rifle pose. It would require a bit of modding and resizing to truly work.

It has good potential though.

Dr Syn

humerus
Mar 27, 2011

It's quite baggy/loose around the bottom, and the arm holes are too small/tight to allow the arms to get the "tight" rifle pose. It would require a bit of modding and resizing to truly work.

It has good potential though.

Beautiful. Thanks Obi.

Stryker927

Cobra Project Manager
Aug 13, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Worked on that Duke body last night. Not sure who it's going to be. Have the alternate head on it at the moment. This is my third torso/arms to modify the "Obi-Wei" LOL

So far I love the previous two. Still learning as I go. The modifications are getting cleaner and cleaner as I figure out the best tips to use on my dremel and getting more patient with the process.

At the moment the body can hold the M4 that came with Duke and actually look down the scope which has my giddy! :)

I'll post pics soon.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
Hell yeah, bro. It really is amazing how 1 or 2 fairly minor mods can make such a huge difference. Throw some pix up right here when you can.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Now you (Obi) need to figure out how to mod the neck to the figs can get a real good look down the barrel/sights :D

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
Done it many times on other figures already. Just requires the proper neck donor. MU is great for that, as long as you use one that's not too big (Rogers buck is really wide/thick). I think the Magneto/Ghost Rider neck is more what you'd need.

Oh well... guess I'll have to add something to this thread for necks.

Ridgeback

Enlisted
Jun 6, 2012
You can't really go wrong if you take steps cutting or dremelling off material. Cut some at a time, test fit and then -if you need to- cut some more untill the desired range of motion or fit is achieved.
Trust me, it's easy to do.
I know that you might be a bit hesitant to cut into a 15-Dolar-figure that you had a hard time finding, but hey...a man's got to do what a man's got to do.

Tria

Enlisted
Sep 20, 2012
pics are down or is my computers fault?

this tutorial will be really helpful when I receive my ult. dukes army...

Tria

Enlisted
Sep 20, 2012
Pix are down right now...

Majhost.com is having technical problems or updating.

ok thank you very much for the update!

I was looking forward to troop build ult duke and Iwas frustrated when I found out the major articulation problems... I havent used your tutorial yet, but I am pretty sure it will fix the problems and make the fig awesome!

lotusblack80

Enlisted
Jul 15, 2013
Colorado
You can't really go wrong if you take steps cutting or dremelling off material. Cut some at a time, test fit and then -if you need to- cut some more untill the desired range of motion or fit is achieved.
Trust me, it's easy to do.
I know that you might be a bit hesitant to cut into a 15-Dolar-figure that you had a hard time finding, but hey...a man's got to do what a man's got to do.

Thanks

Ridgeback

Enlisted
Jun 6, 2012
I was looking forward to troop build ult duke and Iwas frustrated when I found out the major articulation problems...

I have 4 of him from my Dorkside pre-order and a 5th on the way. Despite his shortcomings in articulation, I think that Ult Duke is an awesome figure.

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
I have more than I'd like to admit, and plan on doing this to most of them.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
They have one of those stupid "Let's count how many of this one figure all the Tankers have" over on Hisstank and I posted that I had 106 (or something around there). Totally untrue. Went back and my post was deleted. No trace of it. What if I had been telling the truth?

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
No clue. I never got a notification from a Mod. It makes me wonder if they thought people would get angry with me for hording, which is what I wanted. They just ruin all of the fun.