What Do We Want?

MMorelock66

Isn't a Gijoe fan
Apr 4, 2012
the land of Virginia
As fans of not only Gijoe, but also the 1:18 military market. What do we want?

We all know the Gijoe line needs a kick in the ass, but it also needs innovation.
It's been discussed at length about a more Military Subline, just like the 1:6 line back when Valor Vs Venom was on the shelves. But have it scaled down to 1:18, but the odds of that happening aren't good.

While it's possible the 50th anniversary might give us the sought after Concept figures but with them possibility being restricted to Target, things aren't looking good.

But articulatiom wise, what do we want? In my opinion, I think my hombre and fucking sculpting wizard hit it right on the head, Obi Shinobi's Ultimate Soldier custom is the definition of what we need.

What's your opinion?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Less than the PoC standard is unacceptable. Ankles, hinge wrists and double knees are all necessary. I am not opposed to double elbows and hinged/ball neck combos.

Stryker927

Cobra Project Manager
Aug 13, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
If I were Hasbro I would look at ways to standardize the basic figure build. Neck posts being consistent, etc. It's ok to have a taller thicker build if needed and a female build but if they can try to get a basic build down all using the same articulated wrists, elbows, neck posts, and ankles then mass production should be easier.

Also if they want to keep a core team theme similar to Marvel or even Star Wars where the popular characters like Duke and Snake Eyes are always going to be there then perhaps they could offer a "head pack" that includes second tier characters. Make it a blind bag even to create mystery. The point would be Hasbro could make a desert, snow, jungle, dress uniform, and space versions of Duke but a 4 pack of heads would allow him to make Snow Job, Recondo, Ace, and "name that Joe". They could even offer them unpainted or painted only through the club or a collector portal.

Lego has done similar things where you can buy parts online. Imagine being able to order 100 of your favorite rifle, or 20 of a certain webgear. There is always a market for accessories and replacement parts.

Now imagine if they somehow standardized body builds and parts across Marvel and Star Wars...yeah it's a pipe dream with different teams but I have worked at large companies that have had similar initiatives to standardize across divisions and even manufacturing partners. It can be done if the desire is there.

The other option this would give Hasbro is the ability to do one off Movie lines using a standard build. Maintaining a level of articulation and accessory across lines. Why five different MP5 molds or three different military hard hats or six different ninja swords when you could have one design for all lines.

All that would increase margin and manufacturing efficiencies making it easier to bring product to market. The other benefit is it would be easier to swap parts and accessories across lines.

The one negative is the lines would share parts and you wouldn't have as much diversity but might get more unique characters.

Lots of ways to go with it but it just shows there is opportunity to innovate. It all starts with the question of what is Hasbro's goal? To maintain what they have and keep the status quo or take risks to innovate and be the best, not just the biggest, toy company out there.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
Easy now... I'm no "wizard" by any means. Thanks, though.

I think times have definitely changed in what people want from their action figures. I see more and more collectors/customizers/displayers wanting more realism capabilities. To simply stand your figure next to a tank every time, just isn't cutting the mustard.

BBI, Unimax, 21st... had the right idea (realism) overall, but must have had a more "showcase" mindset when it came to articulation. GIJoe gave you, and still gives you the better articulation (not 100% THE best), but lacks in more realistic styling - for the most part. What do you do?

Personally, I want realistic, modern military sculpts/styling WITH all the articulation. I'm sure most on here would say the same. I do however, see a slow change happening from Hasbro, etc. I do believe they've been testing the waters for a few years now, with a few select items we've seen. Will we ever get the "ultimate" anything from them? Time, as well as costs, will surely be the judges.

In the meantime, we customizers can continue to push the envelope of our hobby searching for the perfect recipe. And in the meantime of the meantime...

I can't frickin' wait for you guys to see the final version of the "Ultimate Soldier" I started. Many stressful hours went into this thing, trying to address as many concerns as possible. And just why would I care to do such a thing? You'll find out soon enough... :thumbsup:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Well Hasbro already took that Retaliation Dark Ninja and made him a shitty 5POA ninja in the Wolverine line. Why you'd REMOVE features you already designed is an idea thats lost on me.. but probably ask the bean counters.

Regarding what I want? Well..

I'd love a return to early 2000's prices for a start. $5 figures! $25 1:18 vehicles! Product on shelves!

But since that's NOT going to happen..

I'd like GI JOE to find a theme and stick with it, PoC was great, and while there were some duds (Arctic Destro?), they had a HIT more than a MISS. The distribution was typical shitty Hasbro, but with BBTS and other online retailers, it's hard to make the case that fans who bitch online can't order online (Unless your K-Tiger).

Retaliation started really bad, but is MAYBE ending on a good note, which is similar to RoC. The first couple waves had a number of stinkers, but by the end we were getting some new and interesting figures. If this translates again, then the 50th line may be worthy after all.

I'd love to see Hasbro do a modern & historical military line, and for the 50th I almost think they HAVE to do something, though it'd likely be in a small 3 or 5-pack, and end up a JoeCon exclusive or some bullshit.

Regarding everything else 1:18, we need new product, and we need a reliable company behind them. JSI/Merit are, if nothing, at least consistent with their 2-4 releases per year. Some of it is rehashes (well, most) but it's been about 50% useful items (Huey yay! F-86 nay!). The fact that they do continue to invest in the scale is at least promising, as opposed to Unimax and BBI, who have all but disappeared.

I think it's the same as it ever was (at least for the last couple of years). 1:18 military fans need to look towards customs and eBay for their fix. There is not going to be some amazing, $5 line on store shelves for us to geek out about unfortunately.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
One of the things I heard, walmart/target/TRU saying they want core charactors such as Duke/SE/SS/CC
Well IMO to a retailer, they aren't thinking wave 1 vs wave 2 figures, Ordering a Duke is the same as ordering Lemon scented cleaner. (Something that doesn't change on their shelf) If Hasbro could get in the mindset the retailers want GI Joe action figures that sell through & not which characters then we could stop seeing spiderman figure with 11 different types of spiderman & 1 bad guy per case. & start seeing more 80s type distribution with lots of differnt characters & having Duke or CC meant something.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011

I think times have definitely changed in what people want from their action figures. I see more and more collectors/customizers/displayers wanting more realism capabilities. To simply stand your figure next to a tank every time, just isn't cutting the mustard.

BBI, Unimax, 21st... had the right idea (realism) overall, but must have had a more "showcase" mindset when it came to articulation. GIJoe gave you, and still gives you the better articulation (not 100% THE best), but lacks in more realistic styling - for the most part. What do you do?

Personally, I want realistic, modern military sculpts/styling WITH all the articulation. I'm sure most on here would say the same. I do however, see a slow change happening from Hasbro, etc. I do believe they've been testing the waters for a few years now, with a few select items we've seen. Will we ever get the "ultimate" anything from them? Time, as well as costs, will surely be the judges.

In the meantime, we customizers can continue to push the envelope of our hobby searching for the perfect recipe. And in the meantime of the meantime...

I can't frickin' wait for you guys to see the final version of the "Ultimate Soldier" I started. Many stressful hours went into this thing, trying to address as many concerns as possible. And just why would I care to do such a thing? You'll find out soon enough... :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Soon! Very Soon!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
...Personally, I want realistic, modern military sculpts/styling with ALL the articulation. I'm sure most on here would say the same...

You would be right..."ALL the articulation" most importantly...this ain't the f*@#ing 70's anymore...they've shown they can do it on mutable lines...now add that sh!t in to EVERY figure produced...combine the articulation of JOE and MU...also, continue to do it for $10 and below...preferably below ;)

• double joint
• ball shoulders
• double elbow
• ball wrists
• mid torso AND waist swivel
• ball hips AND mid thigh swivel
• double knees
• standard foot PLUS rocker ankle

The Willoughbian

Proletariat Art Threat
Jun 24, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Value and Quality are really the most important things to me. I'm not as into the super realistic military as a lot of the gents here. I have more of a penchant for science fiction related toys. Nor, do I necessarily want to sacrifice a good sculpt/mold for articulation.

The two more mainstream figure lines that really presented the things I look for are the Joe POC line and The Star Wars Vintage collection. They had great paint apps, nice looking molds, and were just nice figures in general. The first POC figure I got was Big Guns Duke and I was very impressed. It was obvious with POC that the intent was to be a collector quality figure. I wouldn't be opposed to paying a little more to get that kind of quality with a 50th anniversary line.

I haven't purchased a figure that I didn't intend to paint or use as custom fodder in a long while. The only recent toy news that really got me excited was the possibility of a 118th Smaug. The 6" Black Series looks nice, but isn't really something that's going to be a must have for me, unless they make HK-47. Anymore, I share the opinion that the most interesting thing going on in toys and action figures is the custom stuff. I'd like to see more products that support the hobby.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
What I want is easy. Well, should be easy. I just want to see the figures on shelves! I just want the opportunity to buy them. I'm not against buying online, but its no fun. I like picking the package up and examining it. I like the indecision of which do I buy when I find a few I want. (had to choose between Colton and Widow recently, tough decision) I am also one of those who enjoys the hunt in stores when there is game to hunt. I usually have 5-6 figures I am hunting. In the past, 5-6 was enough that I could at least find one of them every week or two. Now I am lucky if I ever see a figure I want.

In the past what I bought and what I didn't buy was dictated by what I can afford to buy with my buying allowance. Now its dictated by what I can find. A lot of the times it's a best of the worst purchase.

So all I want is distribution that works. The shit sells here in a few days. Than no stock for months again.

Last edited:

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011
Articulation and more realistic military designs are key for me. Take what they've done in the 12" Hall of Heroes and make them 1:18. Hasbro knows articulation and can deliver some of the best sculpts in 1:18. Quality would be good to have too. I've had quite a few Marvel figures break on me just trying to move the arms or legs. It's like they were made from brittle plastic. No problems like that with the joe stuff. Using the right factory makes a difference.

What I want is easy. Well, should be easy. I just want to see the figures on shelves! I just want the Opportunity to buy them. I'm not against buying online, but its no fun. I am one of those who enjoys the hunt in stores when there is game to hunt. I usually have 5-6 figures I am hunting. In the past, 5-6 was enough that I could at least find one of them every week or two. Now I am lucky if I ever see a figure I want ever.

So all I want is distribution that works. The shit sells here in a few days. Than no stock for months again.

This is also what I want. The selection of action figures sucks right now. Target has nothing Joe related (the wall of bikes excluded) but I can still get Retaliation wave 1 rejects at Walmart. Put something out that I want and that I can find. Put out crappy figures like Mib and I can still find them. Put out Prof. X and I have yet to see one at retail. It's easy to tell what the people want. Adjust accordingly.

I'm not getting my hopes up for anything though. Especially with all the talk of releases being pushed back and what not.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
What I want is easy. Well, should be easy. I just want to see the figures on shelves! I just want the opportunity to buy them. I'm not against buying online, but its no fun. I like picking the package up and examining it. I like the indecision of which do I buy when I find a few I want. (had to choose between Colton and Widow recently, tough decision) I am also one of those who enjoys the hunt in stores when there is game to hunt. I usually have 5-6 figures I am hunting. In the past, 5-6 was enough that I could at least find one of them every week or two. Now I am lucky if I ever see a figure I want.

In the past what I bought and what I didn't buy was dictated by what I can afford to buy with my buying allowance. Now its dictated by what I can find. A lot of the times it's a best of the worst purchase.

I think I'm the opposite. When I'm "on the hunt" I have a nasty tendency to buy up whatever I see, because you realistically don't know if you'll ever see them again. Found the Colton wave? Damn! Better buy them, I don't really need them, but they're hard to find.. I think this is how I ended up with 20 PIT Commandos in the RoC days.

With online ordering, I can generally just order exactly what I want/need and be done with it.

I do 'enjoy' the 'thrill' of seeing something new on the shelves, but when I stop to think of the time, gas, and effort I'm putting into the 'hunt' it becomes a lot less exciting.

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
It's taken me awhile to think of an answer, but I think these bullet points sums up my feelings.

Recognize that people not familiar with GI Joe assumes it's military action despite it being far removed from reality. This need to tie everything together and make a uniformed property goes against some of the benefits GI Joe has over other toylines. They literally can make anything they want and it can fit in this world. Not every hero has to be a GI Joe, not every villain has to be Cobra.

The line also can be made up of a couple different sub lines that don't necessarily mesh with each other's story. You can make a line of Joes that are extremely realistic versions of modern, vietnam, WW1, and WW2 warfare that will get the attention of classic military collectors and Joe collectors alike, while still producing a main Joe vs Cobra line.

After 30 years of Joe vs. Cobra, it's still one of the most undeveloped universes constructed. There's Joe, there's Cobra, there's everyone else who works with Cobra. There isn't a lot of military presence in this world unless you're aligned with one or the other which completely ignores how the real world works. They could create more units similar to Oktober Guard only from other countries or fill out a better rogues gallery where there are villains who aren't Cobra.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011

That's why I started mixing Joes and bbi. To get more realistic, but depending on which way I lean I either lose some pose ability or look to futuristic.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011

My feelings exactly. sick of firefly, snake eyes and flint crotch rockets clogging pegs. the newest wave is getting there with realism.

Still don't understand why lines aren't made based on some of the newer realistic looking soldiers and baddies. Doesn't Hasbro look at the boards and see the customs we all make in all the forums so far removed from the original and made to be spec op based/looking???

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Still don't understand why lines aren't made based on some of the newer realistic looking soldiers and baddies. Doesn't Hasbro look at the boards and see the customs we all make in all the forums so far removed from the original and made to be spec op based/looking???

If Hasbro's looking at forums to see what people are doing, they're not looking here - they're looking at Hisstank and places like that.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'd be honored to have a custom bit by Hasbro.

Fortunately I go too far back in history to worry much about it happening. :D

Bravestarr

Molon Labe!
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
I won't repeat what many of you have said about the GI Joe line since I am in full agreement and don't want to sound redundant.

That said, the people at Hasbro need to realize some serious opportunities have been lost.

1.) Retaliation made around 3 times what it cost to produce in terms of revenue at the box office alone. Throw in DVD, Blu and Download sales, and it will probably be 4 times on the return, which is considerably excellent. I believe Rise of Cobra barely doubled it's worth, and even then it still didn't make the revenue that Retaliation did (probably due to the fact that ROC was a shit movie start to finish).

2.) The fans clearly want the COOL STUFF. GI Joe Trooper, Red Ninja, Black Ninja, Lady J and a few others were some really HOT figures this year in terms of articulation, likeability and overall sales. Why the hell can't they learn that this stuff is red hot on the sales floors everywhere? Oversaturation of The Rock, Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes seems to have been the case, as those figures are collecting dust whenever I take a look around.

3.) The Tomahawk trickle is another loss for Hasbro. People clearly are clamoring for it, and the third parties are scalping it. Hasbro should release another vehicle on par with it in time for Christmas, such as the Moray or WHALE. At least get that kind of thing out next year in time for the 50th Anniversary.

On a side note, Hasbro should Keep John Chu on for the 3rd installment, and finish the movie series right. It's clear that he knows what he's doing.

Bravestarr

Molon Labe!
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
Hahaha, lucky bastard! My TRU got 2 in, and I bought one of them. Wished that I had bought them both, but SDCC was burning my wallet up with this month's expectation of buying the Skyfire set, MP Soundwave, MP Acid Storm and the Rock Men. I also bought a couple Japanese and 3rd Party Transformers.

Another thing we have to consider about this line and it's future is the damn political incorrectness of it. No, I am not joking around either.

Democrats and other sordid lowlifes permeate the daycare centers, education facilities (kindergarten and up), media, TV and other assorted family/child-related organizations out there.

The message is loud and clear from these worthless Stalinist assholes to both children and parents alike: IT IS NOT OKAY FOR YOUR CHILDREN TO PLAY WITH FIREARM RELATED STUFF. IF YOUR KID DOES ANYTHING REMOTELY RELATED TO A FIREARM, WE WILL PUNISH YOUR KID FOR IT.

No lego guns:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...bringing-TINY-Lego-figure-gun-school-bus.html

No pop-tart guns:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...art-lifetime-nra-membership-article-1.1359918

No United States Marine Corps T-Shirts:

http://www.examiner.com/article/mid...cover-marine-corps-t-shirt-or-face-suspension

No NRA T-shirts:

http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/18/t...r-his-pro-nra-shirt-now-faces-a-year-in-jail/

The only reason the fucking democrats didn't press full charges against NRA kid is because of the outstanding and justifiable pressure brought on these damn democrat fuckers to drop the charges despite his fucking arrest.

Do not fucking kid yourselves into thinking that GI Joe and other great similar toylines will be accepted by the fucking idiot democrats who control the education, media and other established child or family related organizations in this Country.

Parents today are becoming even more paranoid about what the education establishment and other entrenched democrats will attack their children over, and if a Lego gun is enough to warrant suspension, just imagine what the fucking idiot democrats will say in response to kids bringing GI Joe and their "eeevvvvil black assault rifle gunzzz OMG the children haaaallllpppp!!!!" into a fucking democrat/government building like a fucking publik skool.

Does this democrat contempt for firearms and related toys damage our hopes for this brand? You better fucking believe it does. If kids, parents and families refrain from this stuff, you better believe that it damages Hasbro's interest in pursuing the toylines. The concept of GI Joe's 50th Anniversary being a limited Target exclusive is further evidence of the dying popularity of this great line.

PS...

Fuck you, democrats, wherever you are.

Last edited:

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Nothing bothers me more than some fat nerd wearing a marine corps shirt. Sorry, I feel it's like letting the Stars and Stripes touch the ground.

Bravestarr

Molon Labe!
Founder
Mar 15, 2011

I went with pre-ordering the last of the Superion/Aerialbots from 3rd Party TFC, as well as the SR-71 representing Silverbolt.

Also ordered MP Wheeljack and MP Smokescreen.

What are your thoughts on 3rd Party Fansproject Stunticons? Seems all 4 cars are either made or ready to go, but no sign of Motormaster yet.

Also, how do you feel about the 3rd Party Combaticons (Fansproject Swindle and Blast Off)?

@ Giga Bread, I am willing to cut the kid some slack since he was persecuted by democrat school officials for wearing a USMC shirt in support of our brave Marines.

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
TFCs Superion...I like it AFTER the add-on kit...but it p!sses me off so much that they made Uranos sh!tty initially just to cash grab later by "fixing" him at an added cost...shady practice if you ask me...

FPs Stunticons...I'm on board...I have the first two with the other two coming as soon as the etailer I ordered through gets Last Chance (I ordered the last two together)...I'm not happy with the cost of the wee little guys...$60 a piece is quite steep IMO...it's been said this was to offset MMs cost...if this is the case, I'll be fine...but if MMs cost is above $100, I'm calling shenanagins and unloading my cars...I think MM will be shown in full at this weekends TF con...hopefully...

FPs fix up kit for a lame Hasbro combiner, no thanks...that thing is showing it's age...I'll wait until a new ground up Bruticus comes along...

Falcone

Green Beret
Feb 20, 2012
WI

Because the majority of the fan base collect GI Joe as ARAH GI Joe or at least updated version of ARAH. And not as real world Spec Ops.

Falcone

Green Beret
Feb 20, 2012
WI
Lately I've been valuing function over form on my Joes...the MU double elbow isn't as attractive as the standard single Joe elbow, but again, I'll take function ove form...

If articulation is getting in a way of aesthetics then I have no use for that articulation. Figures can already be dynamically posed without the mid thigh joint or double elbows.

Bravestarr

Molon Labe!
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
TFCs Superion...I like it AFTER the add-on kit...but it p!sses me off so much that they made Uranos sh!tty initially just to cash grab later by "fixing" him at an added cost...shady practice if you ask me...

FPs Stunticons...I'm on board...I have the first two with the other two coming as soon as the etailer I ordered through gets Last Chance (I ordered the last two together)...I'm not happy with the cost of the wee little guys...$60 a piece is quite steep IMO...it's been said this was to offset MMs cost...if this is the case, I'll be fine...but if MMs cost is above $100, I'm calling shenanagins and unloading my cars...I think MM will be shown in full at this weekends TF con...hopefully...

FPs fix up kit for a lame Hasbro combiner, no thanks...that thing is showing it's age...I'll wait until a new ground up Bruticus comes along...

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I also pre-ordered the add-on kit for TFC Superion as well.

I like the Stunticons a lot, and am waiting to see Motormaster before I commit.

Yeah, I was on the fence about Swindle and Blast Off.

Would like to see Bruticus given the Devastator and Superion treatment that TFC provided.

Would be awesome to see them all on the same shelf.

I ordered Uranos Harrier yesterday. What was/is wrong with him?

Already have F-15 and F-4 Phantom TFC Aerialbots from months ago, should I be worried about something?

PS...

I am staying away from Takara MP Bumblebee because I already have a similar scale version of him a la the Art Feather edition.

Hopefully the Art Feather Bee sustains his cool factor when juxtaposed to the Takara MP edition.

Am tired of the same guys getting better editions each year, grrrr.

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Nothing is wrong with him...just personal preference...

W/o the WoU kit, I think he looks like a$$ in combined mode...well, the torso does anyway...the limbs look awesome...but the torso is under scaled and the chest shield is a sh!t excuse for a chest shield...

Then, when "Silverbolt" is in alt mode, he's literally got a whole complete robot doing yoga hanging off the plane...30 yrs ago, okay, I get that's the best they could...but now?...they couldn't do better than exactly what they did in the 80's?!...you can literally take the screws out holding them together and have two functioning entities, no lie...the problem was, TFC choose to make Silverbolt out of the thinnest possible plane...that leaves absolutely nowhere to store robot parts in alt mode...

The only thing TFC Silverbolt does well is robot mode...he looks pretty decent...

Bravestarr

Molon Labe!
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
Cool, yeah I agree on Silverbolt.

I hate that the "guts" of the robot cannot be somehow compacted into the airframe like the MP Seekers managed to pull off.

Oh well, I look forward to displaying them in Superion mode anyway.