What would it take?

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
What would it take for you to "finish" your collecting?

For me, a complete set of Sunbow Joes, and a few more beyond that, would probably seal the deal.

If Hasbro could muster 4 good 7-packs for 2014's 50th Anniversary, with smartly chosen characters and none of their typical filler/waste-o-space bullshit, I think they could pretty safely wrap up the "25th Anniversary" era, and leave any extras for the Club to fill in over the next couple of years. I don't want any more vintage-geared SDCC figures. I think that should be wrapped up from here on, and finished. This past year was a decent "last stage" for that, not the best "last note", but it was okay. Let 'em move onward with the future of Joe, whatever that is (if there is anything to move forward with.)

If they focused on releasing a good portion of those "Concept Case" figures, plus maybe a dozen more, I'd be happy. Seeing figures like Gung-Ho and Destro from that case makes me want them to redo the remaining figures from the original 2007 5-packs, just to come full-circle. (Let's face it, they look dated as hell now, and most of them are just awful looking when compared to the newer figures.)

Ending the line with some of those would be a cool "bookend" to the 25th Anniversary era. Duke, Scarlett, Roadblock, plus the Concept Case Gung-Ho and maybe a new General Hawk, Flint, Lady Jaye or Shipwreck could make a solid "commemorative" 5- or 7-pack of core Joes, and one more secondary Joe set for as-yet-to-be-made guys like Frostbite, Cross-Country and the Concept Case Leatherneck would be killer. Hell, toss in a few of the "easy kitbash" homeruns like the Concept Case Beachhead, BBQ, or a 'toon-colored Law & Order, and you've got another 5- or 7-pack. Done with the Joes. (Super bonus points if they fixed that fuckup of an Iceberg.)

Cobra could use updates on pretty much Destro, Zartan and Major Bludd. The Concept Case had a solid Destro and Zartan, and Bludd wouldn't be too difficult to redo from mostly existing tooling. A redone Copperhead using the new Rockblock buck, a kitbashed Scrap-Iron update, and a kitbashed Mindbender, and hell… They could even toss in the new Cobra Commander with an "I was once a maaaan" '87 movie head if they absolutely had to. A new Serpentor wouldn't be the worst thing, but they'd need to do some new tooling or not bother there. And that's one 7-pack (give or take one or two.)

Besides a fixed Monkeywrench, the only other necessary updates to Cobra would be troop-builders that they didn't quite get right the first time around. And if they did a set of just troop-builders, they'd damn well make them all troop-builders and make 3x as many as the other single sets, and they'd move without sticking retailers with a bunch of them. The Concept Case had the fantastic updated Tele-Viper, Eel and Snow Serpent, and several new troopers we haven't seen yet, and I'd love to see an accurate Motor-Viper (kitbashed from existing parts, of course), Stinger Driver, Cobra Officer, etc. to fill in the remainder. And you've got an excellent "Cobra Legions II" multi-pack.

TL;DR. What would it take for you to "wrap it up" and end your collection?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Hasbro has all but killed my desire for Joes. Them returning to their ARAH slavery would sure do it in.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Hasbro has all but killed my desire for Joes. Them returning to their ARAH slavery would sure do it in.

This, but for different reasons...I'll throw "the club" in there as well for helping to kill my desire...these ridiculously priced "exclusive" figures have really really turned me off of the line...worse are the exclusives that are $$$ that suck major a$$ (Iceberg)...

Then there's the distribution, or lack thereof...figures that are meant for brick and mortar pegs end up being online exclusives that are again, $$$

What would it take?...just them continuing down their current path of charging WAY more for figures than they should be just because you can only buy them online...

Having said that, IF they were to make the sets you described MR, I'd be really hard pressed to pass them up at REGULR sane prices...

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Multi-packs aren't usually that insane though. Usually they're a better deal, although the days of $25 5-packs and $40 7-packs are clearly gone. If they do the right pack-out though on the more popular sets though, they won't cause the fuckup in "shelfwarmers" that they always do.

Then again this is Hasbro, who put out the most popular DVD sets packed with more of 1-2 that nobody wanted instead of doubling up on the good ones, etc. so this is more or less a glorified wish list.

(Which I hate.)

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
They just don't do multis any longer...the club hocks them instead as FSS :talktothehand:

*HAWKS*

Naw, there was much more effort involved in multi-packs than the Club puts forth. They're relegated to retooled ARAH/DTC gear or cancelled items, and MAYBE new head sculpts if they're really feeling squirrelly.

If they put forth more effort, I wouldn't feel as lame buying the Club figures. But I think FSS 2.0 may be my last, I simply have no excitement for it whatsoever anymore.

A multi-pack is a great way to reuse existing tooling while adding only minimal new head sculpts, and at the very most, a new torso or set of limbs or two to add to the parts library. I'm not expecting all-new tooling on the majority of any figures, but new heads and webgear/weapons would be required (and expected) on at least a couple figures.

The only new body part I can even think of them needing to tool besides the Concept Case figures (who are already designed but need a good deal of new parts, such as for Destro or Gung Ho) is a new torso for Duke that could be shared by Hawk if they cleverly use webgear for his collar or new jacket.

But even then, that new body they showed for Gung-Ho would be an excellent reuse down the line, so I think if they're smart with parts, they could stretch them for a lot of mileage even if they move on from Vintage Remake-Land.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I want Teika to do Vietnam figures so they can shut up and take my money.

To keep this remotely related, Concept Vault Gung Ho. NAO!

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Honestly, I'd be happy if they just released the shit they showed, and then STOP showing shit. Just fucking stop. Don't show nerds toys they could have had, nobody likes that.

"Hey, employee, guess what we could be paying you! Awesome, huh?! But we're not, psych!"

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, showing us the concept vault stuff is bullshit. I don't even need to go into the cluster fuck Retaliation is.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Shit like the Zombie horde or Ninja Jerkoff Session, I can be okay with. Even bullshit like the kitbashed Tele-Vipers and 5th-Tier-Vipers aren't that big of deals…

But don't shit out a lazy Leatherneck 5 times, and leave us hanging with first-run-designs like Gung Ho and Destro and then show us fucking fantastic executions like the Concept Vault Leatherneck, Gung Ho and Destro, and then not make them. That's not cool. Just don't show that shit and tease us if you're not very likely to make it.

Byrnes

Ghetto Fabulous
Feb 29, 2012
Cant we get a Cold Slither set? Instruments, groupies and all the rockstar stuff. That would do it for me.

Falcone

Green Beret
Feb 20, 2012
WI
Shit like the Zombie horde or Ninja Jerkoff Session, I can be okay with. Even bullshit like the kitbashed Tele-Vipers and 5th-Tier-Vipers aren't that big of deals…

But don't shit out a lazy Leatherneck 5 times, and leave us hanging with first-run-designs like Gung Ho and Destro and then show us fucking fantastic executions like the Concept Vault Leatherneck, Gung Ho and Destro, and then not make them. That's not cool. Just don't show that shit and tease us if you're not very likely to make it.

They showed them to test the type of support they would have if they were made. You can bet that Gung-Ho and Leatherneck will be sold within 2 years.

I'm not sure I'd ever be truly finished, unless I completely lose interest.

This right here. There is always more ARAH designs that I would buy after the core 82-88 run.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
They showed them to test the type of support they would have if they were made. You can bet that Gung-Ho and Leatherneck will be sold within 2 years.

I don't buy that. Is Hasbro really that fucking clueless? Do they really need to bring out incredible figures like that Destro, Gung Ho and Leatherneck to test the market and see if we want them?

Of course not!

If that's true, then I want them to start testing the market on all the shit-tastic figures that they insist on putting out first.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD

I'd love to believe that, but the Renegades stuff won't ever see the light of day. I'd love to see some of that get made too.

This right here. There is always more ARAH designs that I would buy after the core 82-88 run.

I'd take lots of good non-ARAH figures as well. Modern Updates!

Falcone

Green Beret
Feb 20, 2012
WI
I don't buy that. Is Hasbro really that fucking clueless? Do they really need to bring out incredible figures like that Destro, Gung Ho and Leatherneck to test the market and see if we want them?

Of course not!

If that's true, then I want them to start testing the market on all the shit-tastic figures that they insist on putting out first.

There's a difference between the Joe creative team and Hasbro corporate. Anything the Joe team makes has to be approved of. Many of the vault figures might not have been made because they did not get approval on them. Showing those figures might be a way for the creative team to show that there's is demand for the figures so that they are allowed to produce them. Leatherneck and Gung-Ho were unanimously loved by collectors. I think that type of support will allow them to now be made.

Jrsmi6

Leprechan Hunter
I don't think I'll ever be "done" so to speak. I think that eventually I will feel about joes that I do about Star Wars and only buy figures I really like or I need for the parts. I have bought a lot of figures I wouldn't have bought otherwise on clearance. I will buy and horde any moc action figure I find for $3 or less as long as it's a 3 3/4" figure. You would not believe how many figures I have found for less than $3.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone

Of course not!

I'm with MW on this one. I understand corporate budgets and approval better than most, but there's not a single ARAH figure (that hasn't already been made, and in Destro and GH's case, even then because the first figures look awful now) that WON'T get fans all excited for it.

I can see them needing to test the waters for figures like Jungle-Viper, or Data-Viper, or Kwinn even… But not for figures like 80% of the Concept Vault.

I totally hope they make them, so hopefully Falcone is right.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(

They do seem a little sadistic don't they?

I'm not sure I'd ever be truly finished, unless I completely lose interest.

I honestly think I'm getting there...probably a combination of what I mentioned earlier...plus the loooooong strings of time between actual releases, cock teases and just other good stuff coming out...

I swear, if a 4" classic style DC line came about like the MU line, I'd all but forget about the headache Joe has become...I swear, Joe isn't even fun for me any longer...MR sent me a IB and Covergirl, and just a couple years ago I would've been extatic to get them any check them out...I would've been waiting by the door for the mail carrier with anticipation...but when I got them, I took them out of the shipping box and stored them with the intention of checking them out later...I think that was a week or two ago...still haven't looked at them...

That anxious "new Joe" feeling I had in 2007-2008 when a new wave was coming out regularly, singles, comic packs, five packs, seven packs...that feeling is long gone...

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'd take lots of good non-ARAH figures as well. Modern Updates!

Indeed.

More and more I'm thinking they need to abandon the Joe mythos and perhaps try to get something going with Action Team. They could probably get a great Action Team cartoon if they tried.

Then again it could suck worse than that '90s Jonny Quest 'toon.

Last edited:

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
While I've taken to making my custom Joes more modern, I still dig the ARAH designs, and if they make more figs based off their ARAH designs to the level they've done Airtight, Sci-fi, Lowlight, "Ultimate" Storm Shadow & Cobra Commander, Lifeline, and the 30th/POC Cobra Troopers and Vipers, I'll buy the crap out of them. I don't care for any of the 25th figures anymore. Compared to what I listed a moment ago, the 25th line is crap, IMO. I can't even display the 25th with the newer Joes.

I definitely want to see the Gung-Ho, Leatherneck and Destro concepts they've shown, as well as HnR and a couple of others that I can't recall at this moment. I really want them to release the ARAH accurate Snake Eyes head sculpt that the "Ultimate Snake Eyes" was suppose to come with too. Still upset about that...

Kaboomskie

Enlisted
Nov 6, 2013
I've always been interested WW2 so if OurWar WW2 can atleast meet, or better yet, exceed my expectations, produce the Americans, British, Japanese and hoping Italians, plus vehicles and playsets, I'd give up GIjoe in a heart beat.

But as of the moment, yo Joe for me.