1:1 scale Fossilized Velociraptor Claw Plaque

red4

Enlisted
Feb 25, 2012
Had I worked consistently, the claw would have taken 2 to 3 days to make. But I took my sweet ass time, and it wound up taking a couple years. Yes, years. The claw was 98% finished a couple years ago, and then I gave it the finishing touches a few days ago. Anyway, it was cut, carved, and filed out of black PVC.

The plaque itself took about 3 days to make. It's made of plaster, and then I carved and chipped and scratched away with various tools. It was finished off with black aerosol paint to match the black PVC of the claw.

I got the black PVC from work; it was a scrap piece. They come in 4'x8' sheets that cost $40 each. So it's not worth it for a singular, small project like this.

If you measure the length of the outer curve of the claw, it is 6 inches long, which is 6 inches longer than Eddie's penis.

Last edited:

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I love 1:1 scale replicas and your work paid off on this. I especially like the tool marks around the claw, how they start out big and get smaller as they get closer to the fossil.

red4

Enlisted
Feb 25, 2012
should get these casted and sell em

That's not at all what I don't intend to do. I'm going to chip the plaque down to about 5" x 8", which is more manageable and practical for the purpose of displaying a single claw.

Since the claw itself is removable from the plaque, I'm gonna use one of its casts as a base onto which I'll sculpt a fake keratin layer, to create a "recently detached" claw.