1/144 Gundam model kits

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
So I got this 1/144 figure to see what size they actually are since I've never really seen one. Anyone get these things?

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00030EU3U?"]Amazon.com: Bandai Hobby HGUC #19 MSM-07S Z'GOK "Mobile Suit Gundam" Model Kit (1/144 Scale): Toys & Games@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51g5tQ5mQRL.@@AMEPARAM@@51g5tQ5mQRL[/ame]

So this one does't have any paint and just comes molded in colored plastic. That's okay with me because I planned on painting it anyway.

but here are some MU scale pictures of the actual kit with some different body type figures.

They are very articulated and well balanced

And can be put together in a bunch of different ways

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.N.A.K.E. Armor that doesn't suck. Take notes, Hasbro.

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
S.N.A.K.E. Armor that doesn't suck. Take notes, Hasbro.

and it's only $8 on Amazon with free shipping...
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00030EU3U"]Amazon.com: Bandai Hobby HGUC #19 MSM-07S Z'GOK "Mobile Suit Gundam" Model Kit (1/144 Scale): Toys & Games@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51g5tQ5mQRL.@@AMEPARAM@@51g5tQ5mQRL[/ame]

There is no paint (just colored plastic) and you have to put it together but that shouldn't be a problem for anyone here.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
How easy are these things to build? I've been apprehensive about Gundam models since I was a kid and got a 1/144 Hygogg that came out looking like crap Then again, it was a model kit I got on ebay for like, $6 or so that was produced in the 1980's . . .

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
I just slapped together a kit my buddy got me while he was deployed in Japan last summer. This thing sucks, it's not a mobile suit it's an immobile suit. I guess it's the thought that counts. Next to it is an MSIA figure.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I have bought several 1/144 and 1/100 Gundam kits, but I always bought them for the parts to use as kibbley detail for custom transformers. I've never actually assembled one, aside from a 1/60 perfect grade that I did on a lark about 12 years ago. My first gundam kit, and it's 1200 pieces with japanese instructions only. That cured my gundam itch for a very long time.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
I bought a couple cheap kits on Amazon the Z'gok and Gyan. I'll check them out myself and see what they're like. These are older kits right? I wonder if newer kits are substantially better, I've heard good things about the revive kits.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
Welp, I got the Gyan today, and assembled it as quickly as I could. It's ok I guess, but I prefer the action figures still. I hate having to get the parts of the frames, which was a bit harder to do on this kit than the non articulated AGE one. To be fair, the box says this one is from 1999, and I doubt they expected enthusiasts to assemble it and leave it unpainted or unmarked. That''s too much work for me though. I'm tempted to try a kit made in the past 5 years, to see if assembling them has become an easier over the years.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
I don't like how the legs don't move forward all too well. They tend to pop off a little too easily when you do that. I'm going to need better tools if I keep buying and assembling these things, because the old rusty box cutter isn't doing it for me.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
I really feel like I crewed up the matte finish for the Guncannon . . .

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
Well I got some new stuff, like the EZ-8.