1:18ish MI-24 Hind Gunship

jlw515

Enlisted
Mar 6, 2014
I had posted these pics on the JoeCustoms FB page. But in case anyone was interested in customizing the new (re-released) BBi Hind here are some exploded views for you:

It would take some heavy customizing (like adding styrene) to make 2 figures fit in the cockpit.

More pics can be seen here: https://www.facebook.com/browsegrou...ref=bookmark_header#!/groups/809956669021730/

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has put together the Trumpeter MI-24? If so, do you have any pics of it compared to Joe figures. I think it may be a little bigger than the BBi toy, so it may be an alternative to customize into a 2 seater Hind. I've also see images of an RC Hind, but I can't find where they are available for sale.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jason

thelegoguy

Enlisted
Mar 16, 2011
I picked up one of these for my kid. Oy! Soooo tiny. MAJOR work would have to be done to fit two figs in the cockpit. May be better off building one from scratch.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
R/C Hinds tend to be several scales larger than 1:18. Trumpeter's Hind is 1:35, so there's no way in hell you're gonna make that Kosher for 1:18 figures.

I'd say put a PTE AH-6 main rotor assembly on there, maybe fix the cant of the stub wings and call it good. Unless you're prepared to actually extend the fuselage (Thus necessitating a brand new canopy) you aren't gonna gain anything trying to cram tandem seating in the available space other than a ruined toy. You'd be better off doing an A or B model "greenhouse" forward fuselage.

Accept it for what it is.

Last edited:

jlw515

Enlisted
Mar 6, 2014
R/C Hinds tend to be several scales larger than 1:18. Trumpeter's Hind is 1:35, so there's no way in hell you're gonna make that Kosher for 1:18 figures.

I'd say put a PTE AH-6 main rotor assembly on there, maybe fix the cant of the stub wings and call it good. Unless you're prepared to actually extend the fuselage (Thus necessitating a brand new canopy) you aren't gonna gain anything trying to cram tandem seating in the available space other than a ruined toy. You'd be better off doing an A or B model "greenhouse" forward fuselage.

Accept it for what it is.

That's basically my plan right now. I'm adding the front rotor from an extra Eaglehawk I bought for custom fodder. I'm moving the wings down to just above the back two windows. Of course on one side when the side door opens the wing will move with the door, but I'll just have to live with that for play value. Also gonna add the exhaust pipes from the Eaglehawk to section where the wings are suppose to attach. This will cover that area up. The actual big exhaust pipes on the toy don't look like exhaust anyway. I've currently got this thing torn apart with lines drawn on it to mask to add some camo green paint. Oh and I've Dremelled some holes at the feet of the cockpit for modern Joe figures to fit better.

Jason

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'd slap a set of exhaust suppressors up there but it doesn't look like there's much room.

Joerhyno

Enlisted
Aug 18, 2012
Are there any pics in the internets out there with this thing put together next to some 4" figs? I used to have the old one, but sold it years back. Just wondering if anyone has seen any pics out there.

Dr Syn

humerus
Mar 27, 2011
Better off converting it for some MB CoD figures, if you don't want to brick build one for them.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Not a lot of modelers here, so you might be waiting a while.

Until then, here's a pic with bottles of paint that every one should be familiar with, they give a fair sense of scale.