9SFG(A) - Shipwreck / Topside - Navy SEALs

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
preface...

So my work on the 9th Special Forces Group (Airborne) continues apace.. albeit slowly as usual. Such is the life of a customizer!

Be sure to check out the novelization of the 9SFG(A)'s heroism during the War on Terror here: STORY!
----

Excerpt from AFGHAN-SITREP: NAVY/FOB RHINO
DATE REQUESTED: 22 JAN 2002
Special Warfare Operator Codename: Shipwreck

Date: 23 NOV 2001
Local Time: 22:17

This late at night, the deserted Afghan terrain could easily be confused with the surface of the moon, except the moon probably had more going on.

"... it's fucking cold," said Petty Officer 1st Class Edgar "Shipwreck" Winick as he scanned the horizon with his night vision binoculars, "we've been at this for 2 days now and all I see is the same empty buildings, and deserted airstrip."

Petty Office 2nd Class Steven "Topside" Rogers smiled in the dark. "Well, as I told you yesterday, Command says to watch this place, so we watch this place. Anyways, you should be happy... at least out here there's nothing for you to sink..." Rogers trailed off as he took the binoculars from Winick.

"Oh you know damn well those were not my fault," said Winick under his breath. "Just because a guy goes on three tours and just happens to be involved in three... Mishaps... are no reason to try and nickname someone 'Shipwreck'. Nice try, it'll never stick anyways."

"Sure, sure. We'll see about that," replied Rogers. "Rumor has it that one time in the South Seas you got to spend three days on a tropical beach! You're a modern day Robinson fucking Caruso there buddy. Let me guess, you even had a pet parrot on your shoulder?"

Grinning, "Shipwreck" reached into Rogers rucksack, grabbing a MRE. "Yeah, well... Polly’s gonna take your cracker for that one, ass!"

Shipwreck's grin disappeared in an instant. "Command, we've got movement at 9 o'clock," he said quietly into the radio. "Looks like one pickup, 2... make that 3 bodies inside. Can not ID. Repeat, can not ID. Do we take the shot, over."

"Negative," came the reply. "Hold your fire team 1 and 2. That truck has a special guest for you. Rendezvous with them on the road, directly below your position. Command out."

"Great," said Rogers. "Can I have my crackers back now?"

----

Code Name: Edgar "Shipwreck" Winick
Rate: PO1 Petty Officer 1st Class
Rating: SO Special Warfare Operator

----
Code Name: Steven "Topside" Rogers
Rate: PO2 Petty Officer 2nd Class
Rating: SO Special Warfare Operator

-----

These figures are part of my ongoing 9th Special Forces Group (Airborne) ODA-988 team that I am working on (Formerly A.R.C.T.I.C.). 9SFG(A) is a special operations force of the United States Army, though many times they work with other branches of the military when the mission at hand is coordinated through the United States Special Operations Command (USSOCOM).

... The 9th SFG(A) has been deployed to Afghanistan in support of Operation: Enduring Freedom in early 2002. USSOCOM has attached the Navy SEAL Operators "Shipwreck" and "Topside" to the 9th SFG(A) ODA-988 from the Navy SEAL Team 8 to help communicate and coordinate with existing SEAL Teams deployed in theater. There exact whereabouts are currently classified...

---

Figure breakdown is as follows:

("Shipwreck")
Head: RoC Shipwreck
Torso: 25th Airborne
Arms: RoC Desert Duke
Legs: PoC Dusty
Gear: OurWar vest, BBI Goggles

("Topside")
Head: Then-and-Now Snowjob?
Torso: 25th Airborne
Arms: RoC Desert Duke
Legs: PoC Dusty
Gear: OurWar vest, BBI knit cap + night vision goggles

Be sure to check out my other 9th Special Forces Group (Airborne) customs as I try to get them ready over the next days/weeks/months.

Thanks for reading, and Please let me know what you think, any complaints or criticism help me with the next figure!

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
We think alike. What's your thought on the Our Wars vests?

I love them personally because there are a number of different configurations eliminating the need to buy some figs just for pouches and you just need to paint them up and add weathering to really see how sweet they are.

You have excellent paint app's going with this team.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
We think alike. What's your thought on the Our Wars vests?

I love them personally because there are a number of different configurations eliminating the need to buy some figs just for pouches and you just need to paint them up and add weathering to really see how sweet they are.

You have excellent paint app's going with this team.

Thank you..

I like the vests, generally, they're a lot easier, and less time consuming than making my own for sure (and don't need to cannibalize mutable figures!).

They're a little big around the waist, and there is a lot of open room there, which looks a little odd from the wrong angles. Wish they had a groin protector, and maybe some more variety.. but overall they're good. I do like the freedom I have when making my own vests, but for times sake when making a large group of guys, these seem like the way to go for sure. They do 'pop' a lot better once you paint and detail them. I still need to drybrush them a bit.

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
I was going to ask about the vests as well.

Do they sit well on the Joe torsos?