A dio present: Warrior Dojo Display

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
I put together a display as part of some friend's Christmas gifts. They have some Matrix dios displayed in their house, and May builds all kinds of tiny things and has been following my build of The Compound, so it seemed an appropriate gift.

Inspired by my friend May saying her favorite character back in the day was Jinx, I built this.

They're a couple warriors outside their ancient fortress dojo. I wrote a little story on the back for them as well, but didn't want to post their full names.

Just finished it and thought I'd share:

Last edited:

Deslock

Enlisted
Mar 16, 2014
Tennessee
www.darksidealliance.com
That's awesome sir .

There is no more more touching gift that shows that you really care, than giving a gift that was made by hand, and with such craftsmanship.

That takes it from the level from where they'd appreciate it, to a level where they'll treasure it forever. :)

What a very nice and thoughtful gift. Thank you for posting this.

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
Right on, thanks everyone!
Deslock, I couldn't agree more... Making gifts is just better all around, and a tradition between all our closest friends. I just started making dios back in October, so it seems aprapos that this year's gifts should be something like this.

...and Vindicare, I'm a noob just figuring things out, check the tutorials, make a plan, and have at it!

Deslock

Enlisted
Mar 16, 2014
Tennessee
www.darksidealliance.com
If you only started in October, I'd say you're off to damn good start sir.
Your weathering technique is very nicely done. That takes some of us quite a long time to master how to use which colors to use to make it realistic.

Weathered concrete doesn't look like dirt, Dirt doesn't look like aged stone. Aged stone doesn't look like old brickwork.
And it usually takes a lot of practice over a long time, to know which colors to use.

I really like how you did this. It allows the figures to stand out, but in a believable setting. Your use of moss (lichen) is placed just right. Your red is strong, yet subtle enough. As the old saying goes: "Simplicity is elegance." Sometimes it's hard to find a balance. It becomes easy to make backgrounds over complicated, and that distracts from the focal point.

For a beginner, this is really good work. I look forward to seeing more from you. You have a good eye and a natural talent for this.

Last edited:

TIE_FighterTK069

Enlisted
Oct 20, 2014
Back in Tucson, AZ!
Hey, thanks Deslock!
I actually feel like my painting skills are pretty weak, so I really appreciate the feedback and compliments. I'm still building my supply of paints, so my palette is pretty limited right now. Finding colors like burnt sienna and raw umber has taken things up a notch, for sure, but I do wish I could recall color theory and whatnot from my school days. The process of figuring stuff out is fun, though. This site has been a huge part of the learning curve for me!
I need to finish the one for my fiancé, but I just finished another display that I think has the best bricks I've done so far. I'll post that today or tomorrow...