Alien/Aliens customs

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
You guys all kick ass with Joe and military customs...but this, this is the area in which I excell! :) I've loved this series of movies (mostly the first and second) since I was little (9/10?). I've got more reference material than you can shake a stick at and I'm into costuming as a Colonial Marine when appropriate, so I'm well aware of what makes a Colonial Marine a Colonial Marine.

This one started out as a stock "Apone" by Hot Toys. I already had one, so I decided to make this a generic Marine so I could bulk up my ranks.

Changes:
-new head
-added microphone stalk
-added wire to shoulder lamp
-made shoulder lamp removable
-repainted grenades in bandolier to accurate colors
-removed inaccurate knife and replaced with a more accurate sheat and knife (knife is removable).
-repainted canvas parts of the boots to OD green instead of black
-added shoulder bag to mimic that used in the movie
-repainted all exposed skin (the color in the photos isn't really that light, the flash washed it out.
-moved pump handle on rifle from back to front (HT glued it on all the way back on the grenade launcher)
Still left to do:
-add name stencil to back of helmet and front of armor

This one started out as a stock "Drake" made by the same company.
Again, I already had one, so I used this second one to make a generic smart gunner.

Changes:
-replaced head with a 21ct WWII figure head
-moved pivot point for smartgun from the vest down to the hip
-added microphone stalk to headset
-added power cable to top end of microphone stalk
-added pivot point to eye piece (it now moves up and down instead of being static)
-added connecting pig-tail cable to bottom of eyepiece
-weathered chest plate
-repainted face
-repaired elbow joint on left arm
-added "bandana" to right arm
-repainted canvas part of boots to OD green
Still left to do:
-add power cable to shoulder lamp
-add power cable from smartgun, down along stabilizer arm to hip

Last edited:

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I had an extra HT Aliens warrior and decided I needed a battle damaged version. HT made "battle damaged versions of the warriors, but they didn't really have much in the way of "damage"...not like this.
I took my Dremel and went to town adding pits in various places. Dis located the lower jaw, clipped the end off the tail and then added acid blood and a nice gloss sealer.

I also wanted to make an Alien from the first movie, one with the clear head dome. I took a stock HT Aliens warrior, dremeled in some "eyes" and covered the top portion with several layers of Elmers school glue. Three or four coats later and I had a pretty simple to do head dome.

Took some fingers from a left over Aliens warrior and gave it six fingers on each hand (just like the movie version). I also added some tubes to the sides of his head and connected them to it's back, again, movie accurate.
Repainted the whole thing making sure to paint it's teeth, finger nails and toe nails in a bright metallic silver.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
These are awesome. Where did the HT aliens come from. Are they still sold in stores? I have never seen them, but want one or a thousand? How big is it?

The Hot Toys Aliens figures were 1:18, scale more or less, and are long gone from any kind of retail.

Trawl eBay and bring your checkbook and lube, you're gonna need them.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Yeah, you do do some gnarly Aliens customs. :D

Thank you sir. :)

These are awesome. Where did the HT aliens come from. Are they still sold in stores? I have never seen them, but want one or a thousand? How big is it?

These were released roughly three or four years ago, and only then through importers or big online retailers like BBTS. I got mine through a pre-order on eBay with a guy in China. Now...you'll be lucky to find them on eBay, and even then the prices for one figure are pretty insane ($40-50). The aliens themselves are cheaper as they made up 3/4 of the assortment.

Very cool! No critiques.
For the ALIENs I went with the McFarlane version and added articulation. I felt the Hot Toys were just a tad undersized.

I like the HT figures even if they are short, I've got around 14 or 15 of the warriors alone. :D

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
You had extras of theses!!!... I've only been able to get my hands on Ripley and Drake... I'm seeking more though. While fragile, they are great toys.

Awesome customs BTW... I'll have to repost my custom, I think it was lost during the crash.

Incidentally, I just got a bunch of Alien/Aliens figures from NECO in the mail. They're pretty neat, though in 7 inch scale.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
You had extras of theses!!!... I've only been able to get my hands on Ripley and Drake... I'm seeking more though. While fragile, they are great toys.

Awesome customs BTW... I'll have to repost my custom, I think it was lost during the crash.

Incidentally, I just got a bunch of Alien/Aliens figures from NECO in the mail. They're pretty neat, though in 7 inch scale.

Initially I bought one box which had 12 figures in it (I think), that had one of each of the human characters with one extra, while the rest were all aliens. Then I received a few as a gift from a friend and received yet others in trades, but so far I have only the two marines above to bulk up the "human" ranks, while all of the rest have been aliens.

And please do repost your custom!

The NECA figures are really cool, even a bit better than their McFarlane predecessors. I gave up collecting the 7" figures, although the most recent "Elder Predator" has been calling to me.

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
I hadn't seen the Eldar Predator yet. Here's a pic of the one I did.

Attachments

• DSC01141.jpg
    DSC01141.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC01142.jpg
    DSC01142.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC01143.jpg
    DSC01143.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 6

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Dude, that's sharp! And the camo pattern is excellent! Get that bad boy a pulse rifle!

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
Oh he has one now… I guess I don't have any more recent pictures…. I'll get some. I actually have a bunch of stuff I need to post.