Casting ethics/etiquette

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
I have a question for those of you who are casters and those of you who do your own sculpting that's available to buyers (specifically Giga Bread).

I'm learning how to cast and mold so that I can do reproduction stuff for my own use, and for my friends. I have no intention to ever open up a store or offer anything for sale.

What's the feeling on casting stuff outside of Hasbro/BBi/etc.? Say Giga posts up a head I wanted several of: is it okay to buy one and cast several of it for myself and/or friends? Same if Jesse or someone like Broken Arrow posts something that's a repro item or an original?

Your thoughts? I'd particularly love to hear from guys like Jesse and Giga.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Well, I left in the descriptions to several of models that casting for personal is totally legit. I understand the limitations that come with a printed model and the potential of flaws. Casting in a more durable resin in a proper color. And that goes for making copies for friends. I'd do the same.

The only thing I fear is publicly advertising and selling casts of my designs because I've spent a ton of time and money on my stuff with the hopes that someday I can make money off of them and make the time spent learning how to model worth it. I know people in my life already give me a hard time for being "cheap" but it is what it is.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Well, I left in the descriptions to several of models that casting for personal is totally legit. I understand the limitations that come with a printed model and the potential of flaws. Casting in a more durable resin in a proper color. And that goes for making copies for friends. I'd do the same.

The only thing I fear is publicly advertising and selling casts of my designs because I've spent a ton of time and money on my stuff with the hopes that someday I can make money off of them and make the time spent learning how to model worth it. I know people in my life already give me a hard time for being "cheap" but it is what it is.

I had not seen that, good to know.

Selling would be out of the question entirely (at least for me) - I have no intention of ever going down that road. It's difficult enough for me to find time to work on customs, much less trying to make parts for other people.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
As far as repro parts, I don't think I have an issue if the price point is set a certain way. (I'm totally prepared to be jumped for this)

The way I see it, if its an item currently found at retail and the repro has a reasonably high price, then it fairly competes with a retail item. If the parts are pennies on the dollar, then it creates a large backdoor market where people can avoid purchasing retail. The thing that scares me is if reproductions get to be so cheap that people start avoiding purchasing retail, Hasbro sees the sales loss and issues new policies regarding 3rd party dealers. This effects me too. Since I have a lot of designs based on characters that aren't mine, I can be shut down just as easily as anyone else.

I think Hasbro understands the lack of availability and will casually look the other way. Plus this is a good way of loading up on a small item that's apart of a big set. I plan on ordering a ton of that helmet that came with Mouse but there's no way I'm spending $20 apiece (3pack price) just for the helmet.