Colonial Marine paint job

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Trying to paint camo for probably the first time, and trying to get it somewhat screen accurate.

Every picture I've seen of screen used BDU's looks different, so I don't know how far or how close I am. The one on the left was done first and has a grey-ish wash to make the BDU's look worn and weathered...although it came out un-even as fuck.

The one on the right is a more recent version and I tried to get the "pattern" closed to the Hot Toys figures. Next step is to give him a wash. I'm doing the BDU'S on all the figures at once, or as close together as I can in the hopes of keeping them uniform in apperence. Once that's done, I'll move on to the armor.

Attachments

• marines.jpg
    marines.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 126
Last edited:

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Thanks!

While working on another one last night, I became worried that instead of using the super dark brown (almost black) that you see, I should have used a middle brown. There is a brown of this shade already present on the figure, I would have saved myself that much more work!

But it's too late to go BACK and repaint them, I'd have to strip all the paint off all the figures I've painted so far (four out of twelve), and I don't really want to do that. :(

gman5004

Call me Garrison
Oct 11, 2016
Pasco, Washington
Sure sounds like a pain in the arse. As my dad always says when I point out wrong things on my 1/6 bashes, such as a uniform, "Pretend its a field test of a new uniform."
So, here you go, bob-a-roony, pretend its a field test.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
It is a pain, and sadly, I'm too much of an accuracy nut when it comes to ALIENS/Colonial Marines to brush this off as an in field test. :(

gman5004

Call me Garrison
Oct 11, 2016
Pasco, Washington
Sigh... well then, you fucked up real good. ;) I wouldnt know a difference between light and dark brown in terms of which is more acurate. I watched Aliens when I was 7, and couldn't sleep for a week. Last thing on my mind was what color the uniforms were. Lol

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
*sigh* That's the problem of being an extreme fan. I can paint the vehicles all day long, and have done several times in model form. But CAMO.....that shit ain't easy, though some people here make it look easy.

Here's another photo, although I've done more since this was taken. I'm now down to one Marine that needs the cam pattern painted. Next step, giving them all the same light-grey wash to tone down the pattern.

Dam I wish I could have painted the pattern better.

Attachments

• Marines in progress 2-22-17.jpg
    Marines in progress 2-22-17.jpg
    886.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Pictures of recent work, the first Marine to be 90% done. Just need to add a few more pieces of gear and he's done. Profile picture is to give you a better look at one of the custom decals.