Flying Styro A-10 (1/18)

birddog

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 23, 2011
I wasn't sure if this really should go in this area, but I thought I'd take a chance and share it here with everyone. If it needs to be moved, I understand.

I just recieved my Flying Styro A-10 kit in the mail. I took a few pictures of it to share with everyone. Below are pictures of it next to bbi's F-18. The A-10 is a doable aircraft in 1/18 scale as far as size is concerned. Flying Styro's website says that the kit is 1/17 scale but is really more 1/18 scale. The measurements are off by a gnat's hair. As you will be able to see in the pictures below, the foam texture show a little bit in places but not enough to really detract from what this kit can be.

Below is a picture of one of the engine housings with a 1/18 scale pilot figure:

Here are pictures of the Aces II Ejection Seat and pilot figure from my F-16 (the A-10 uses the same ejection seat). The other pictures are of the Ejection Seat in the cockpit tub that comes with the kit.

Overall the kit has a lot of potential to make a respectable 1/18 scale A-10 representation. There will definitely have to be more detail done in the engine area, cockpit area, and possibly landing gear area depending on what you are looking for. The engines will need a trubine fan in the front and an exhaust nozzle for the back. The cockpit will need a joystick and throttle quadrant. The landing gear come in a build up or down fashion. There is a kit you can buy to upgrade them to retractable if you are building it to fly.

There is also ordinance that comes with the kit for you to build and load it out with. All the plastic pieces like the ordinance are made from an almost paper thin plastic. All this is of course for keeping the weight down for those building it to fly.

I could see Pickel using this kit in two ways:

1. Creating upgrade kits in the areas I mentinoned above.

2. Using this kit as a templated to create a 1/18 scale A-10 in plastic/resin.

I don't know when I'll get to start building this kit, but I'll post pictures when I do. I plan on using this A-10 as a filler in my collection until someone hopefully gets the message and produces one in a 1/18 scale plastic form. I'm not giving up hope for that to happen one day.

Last edited:

Wild weasel

needs killer whale parts!
Jun 9, 2011
Hows the landing gear, I'm assuming its just basically a thin metal rod, like just about any other r/c.
heres some more that are similar. There hq is like 45 mins from me so if anybody wants I can probably get an airframe only set of these. I've seen all the scale ones here, and they are really truly awesome, especially the su-34 fullback and the eurofighter(which has lights!!!) all are very close to our scale and proportions are excellent
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/jets_vectored_thrust_206_ctg.htm

birddog

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 23, 2011
The landing gear that come with the kit are like you said, however it comes with a set of plastic landing gear that you cover the metal wire with to make it look like real landing gear. Only problem is the build of the kit as it comes is either up or down. You can buy a kit to install retractable gear, but I don't know how that works if you are not going to build it to fly. I'm sure you can install a batter to operate that function. It all depends on how far you want to go. A guy won an award with this kit in 2007 I believe that was a full out build. Looked very cool and flew.

The cost of the kit with shipping and all from the manufacturer in Chezch was $250. I know its high but what the hell, at least I have something for an A-10 in 1/18 scale in the event no one gets their shit together.

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
As for the retracts, you wouldn't be able to do it unless you want to spend about $1000 more, if you are lucky. You'd have to buy a radio, reciever, battery, retract servos and the retract set. It's not as possible as you'd think, its expensive unless you have the basic stuff

birddog

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 23, 2011
As for the retracts, you wouldn't be able to do it unless you want to spend about $1000 more, if you are lucky. You'd have to buy a radio, reciever, battery, retract servos and the retract set. It's not as possible as you'd think, its expensive unless you have the basic stuff

That's why I'm thinking af a plug and play system. I may just build it in the down position and leave it by the time I do build it.

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
It may work if you buy a cheap plug n play as you mentioned. I think parkzone's dehaviland mosquito has retracts too and should be plug n play ;)

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
just thought about it, the mosquito is a tail dragger, the hog has a tricycle gear, wouldn't work right... off to the drawing board

birddog

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 23, 2011
I know but the company that makes those gear might have something else that would work. I'll have to look around and see.

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
Thanks for the pictures, I am really thinking about getting the B-25. If I can stop buying Sideshow figures that is.