Gollum

Dark Horse

Ultimate Z-list celebrity
Here's a quick review of Bridge creation's 1:18 scale Gollum.

I won't get into the packaging too much. It's pretty standard and nothing jumps out. Gollum comes in a two pack with Bilbo, but I don't really give a crap about Bilbo so I'll get straight on with Gollum ;D

He small - about 2 1/2 inches and doesn't have much articulation. Ball head, torso, shoulders and hips. It's a bit of a shame he dooesn't have a thigh cut, because you can't get many good poses out of him.

That said, the sculpt and paint are off the hook, and he's a fun character so I say buy the bastard!

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
Damn, those look lame as shit compared to just about anything else out there. I'm focusing on articulation and design of it. Pass for me.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
Why is Gollum under articulated? He is the one figure with a character design that would allow for maximum articulaton. All the Dwarfves, Wizards, Hobbits, Orcs/Goblins/whatthefuckever, etc have better articulation, but their sculpting conflicts with itself so much that some of the articulation becomes redundant. What a weird decision.

Despite that one thing I've seen the figures in TRU and I think they as an action figure line look better than both Pirates of The Caribean and Marvel Movie figures, both in detail and articulation (Gollum being an exception).

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Why the fuck would they give him a torso joint and not at the very least single knees?

Gollum really needs full articulation for all the weird squatty poses he gets into. What a shame. Good sculpt/paint otherwise, and of all the LOTR figures I'd want, he's one of them. (For comic purposes, of course.)

Dr Syn

humerus
Mar 27, 2011
Why the fuck would they give him a torso joint and not at the very least single knees?

Gollum really needs full articulation for all the weird squatty poses he gets into. What a shame. Good sculpt/paint otherwise, and of all the LOTR figures I'd want, he's one of them. (For comic purposes, of course.)

Because he's tiny as and thin.

Also these look pretty good in hand, for me anyway.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Pretty much.

Elbow and knee joints on a figure that size would have been an engineering and later on a returns nightmare.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
They could have easily put joints on him even with those points being thin. Look what was done with the Terminator endoskeletons from a few years back. Their joints were articulated and they were basicly skeletons!

They probably skipped articulation on Gollum so they could do more with the other figures, figures they thought were probably going to be better sellers.

Dark Horse

Ultimate Z-list celebrity
They could have easily put joints on him even with those points being thin. Look what was done with the Terminator endoskeletons from a few years back. Their joints were articulated and they were basicly skeletons!

They probably skipped articulation on Gollum so they could do more with the other figures, figures they thought were probably going to be better sellers.

Nah, Gollum's knees and elbows are like a 1/4 size of the endoskeletons.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Sure, lots of spindly characters have toys with joints. Bridge was probably just saving themselves a headache. Shit, maybe they're planning a "super articulated" Gollum.

Wish I could recall the failure rate on the undead figures in the Army of Darkness line.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I've got little tiny 3rd part Spike and Sparkplug Witwicky (roughly the same scale that came with the latest Masterpiece Prime) and they have hips, knees, and shoulders with simple single-pegs. Not the prettiest, but at least the knees move.

I'm not talking ratcheting double-knees with swivel hips and ankles, just something better than what they did.

This isn't a line I'd be into, but I just hate seeing figures of characters that need articulation who end up missing it. It's 2012, not 1978.

Dr Syn

humerus
Mar 27, 2011
I've got little tiny 3rd part Spike and Sparkplug Witwicky (roughly the same scale that came with the latest Masterpiece Prime) and they have hips, knees, and shoulders with simple single-pegs. Not the prettiest, but at least the knees move.

I'm not talking ratcheting double-knees with swivel hips and ankles, just something better than what they did.

This isn't a line I'd be into, but I just hate seeing figures of characters that need articulation who end up missing it. It's 2012, not 1978.

I understand where you are coming from.

But Gollum is a kid's toy and those Witwicky 3rd party figures are for collectors.

Last edited:

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Yeah, I get you. I just think of all the figures, it's a shame. 1:18th Gollum would've been great, articulated.

Hell, if I can find 2, I may just mod them together into one with full articulation. I'm sure one could achieve it without much effort.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Similar ones come with the Micro Catwoman.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The hands on Micromen are one of the parts I never heard of going bad. Then again, I didn't play with them like an 8 year old.

They may be more "durable" but the lack of that joint hurts the pose options. Anyhoo, different strokes and all that, uses what you like.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Looks like a fella on JoeCustoms got two Gollums and sacked one to add elbows and knees to the other.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
there is a version with bending limbs?