Green Screen Testing....(ongoing)

Digler

Officer
Officer Club
Nov 28, 2012
Vancouver,BC Canada
www.facebook.com
I know this isn't perfect but it was only about 10min. from taking the pic to this....

This is the demo version of Green Screen Wizard, its very expensive and I'm trying new programs for Green Screening. This one is quite easy to work with. This is an expensive undertaking, between the sets, camera junk, software, dio pieces, and tools for it all....sheesh...

Digs

Last edited:

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
Gumbles takes out cell phone to see Digler's pictures cause work won't show them.

This is an expensive undertaking, between the sets, camera junk, software, dio pieces, and tools for it all....sheesh...
Digs

Ya I have most of the tools for video editing, but with the time it takes to do one of my stop motion shorts. I try not to think about what everything costs.

Digler

Officer
Officer Club
Nov 28, 2012
Vancouver,BC Canada
www.facebook.com
Wow, that looks really good! Though I gotta say, I prefer your real dios more.

Don't worry Eddie, I'm just learning this software, if the shots don't look better than dio's I won't use it, I know if i mix good prop work and green screen work the results will be great, but I have seen good green screen results and I'm not there yet just like when I first was doing figures and vehicles. I want the images to look as real as possible, and be able to add effects and eventually stop motion and film. If I can learn this stuff and inspire my kids, they will have the opportunity to use and learn...maybe even go to film school if they like it enough. My 7yr old is writing and illustrating his own superhero comics. This is the logical next step I think...:)

Last edited:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I'd say it looks somewhere between when Rick used to photograph his toys infront of his monitor and when you shoot your guys in your huge diorama.

Could definitely be passable in certain situations, but doesn't look to replicate actual dio work yet.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I think it would be best utilized as far away backdrop behind all of you dio work so you don't have to worry about walls and such.

Ctrl_Z

Enlisted
May 6, 2011
Interesting. How much is the software? I wonder if there's a cheaper way to do this. Like through photoshop or something.

Probably isn't going to be as user friendly though.

Digler

Officer
Officer Club
Nov 28, 2012
Vancouver,BC Canada
www.facebook.com
I just purchased Photoshop-Lightroom.....this does as similar job but not exactly. A good green screen program and green screen set up with the proper lights that allows you to use it in real time and see the changes in real time allowing you to move and edit without touching the dio or the background.....
I want to be able to have great backgrounds and vistas with my sets and then work on the pics in photoshop for effects like gunfire, explosions, simulated movement, and the list goes on. Then I'll composite them in a video editor for stiching them together and added sounds, music tracks, dialog, and more. I really want "The Voids' to be the best I can make it. If any of you have advice for any of this, I would really appreciate it. I'm not sure what app in Photoshop does the bullet, fire, smoke, effects. Any know?

Digler

Officer
Officer Club
Nov 28, 2012
Vancouver,BC Canada
www.facebook.com
Interesting. How much is the software? I wonder if there's a cheaper way to do this. Like through photoshop or something.

Probably isn't going to be as user friendly though.

Green Screen Wizard is powerful and simple to use, but some things you can do in Photoshop but not the stuff that makes it simple and powerful. ie; you can set the camera up, take pics, edit, and move everything in real time and you don't have to touch the dio, or props unless you want to or need to.
I really want to bring 'The Voids' to reality but with some quality also. I want sweeping vistas, and other worlds and locals that I can't produce in prop form and still be cheap. All the green and blue screen work will be backgrounds and my sets will be the foreground.
I just purchased Photoshop-Lightroom and probably the After Effects app a little later for gun flash, smoke, explosions, and the like. Eventually I'll purchase the Dragonframe software, a video editor with mutiple tracks for sound, and sound files. Stop motion is my goal, but I need to learn to make the stuff first. Dragonframe alone is $300 but if you have seen the Box Trolls, it was filmed all in Dragonframe. There is lots and lots to do but I'm taking you all with me on this ride....so hang on.

Oops.....double posted. Thanks Medd for those, I forgot about those.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Green Screen Wizard is powerful and simple to use, but some things you can do in Photoshop but not the stuff that makes it simple and powerful. ie; you can set the camera up, take pics, edit, and move everything in real time and you don't have to touch the dio, or props unless you want to or need to.
I really want to bring 'The Voids' to reality but with some quality also. I want sweeping vistas, and other worlds and locals that I can't produce in prop form and still be cheap. All the green and blue screen work will be backgrounds and my sets will be the foreground.
I just purchased Photoshop-Lightroom and probably the After Effects app a little later for gun flash, smoke, explosions, and the like. Eventually I'll purchase the Dragonframe software, a video editor with mutiple tracks for sound, and sound files. Stop motion is my goal, but I need to learn to make the stuff first. Dragonframe alone is $300 but if you have seen the Box Trolls, it was filmed all in Dragonframe. There is lots and lots to do but I'm taking you all with me on this ride....so hang on.

Oops.....double posted. Thanks Medd for those, I forgot about those.
I'm ready.

Now for the important question. How many "are we there yet's" till I get backhanded? :trollface:

Seriously though, thanks for keeping us in the loop step by step. We all get to learn from your hard work.

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Using green screen stuff, make good friends with noise and blur, as well as learning to define where a light source is coming from on the background to apply it to the foreground.

Green screen stuff requires a lot of post-production to get things to mesh together. And even then, it's hard to make it look natural. Even high-budget movies that use green screens aren't perfect, and sometimes it's easy to tell when it's not a real background.

Digler

Officer
Officer Club
Nov 28, 2012
Vancouver,BC Canada
www.facebook.com
I agree with all of you, like I said if it don't work for me(and you guys know me) I won't use it. However the green and blue screen are only for background work. You all know I can do foreground with props and sets if it doesn't enhance my dio's and stories, I won't use it. There is an investment with this stuff and I'm not willing to put out a lot of dough to fuck things up. I come from old school stuff, I believe in the original starwars movie making concept.....lots of props and cool sets with the large vista like backgrounds. The only way I'm gonna be able to show things like intro of a helo flying down a forested valley with a mountain in the distance....I cant make that without breaking the bank...but a blue or green screen can. The blending is where pre and post production work start. IF I CANT DO IT....I WONT. I'd rather do small sets then with painted matte backgrounds.....I can do that too....but I think chromakey is the answer and easier. I also enrolled in an online film school and I am going to use my work here for assignments. Eventually I'd like to mix live action, stop motion, and green screen work.....audio is another big thing.....very expensive for sounds and tracks. There is A LOT to do and to learn. Like I said I'm taking you with me on the ride. I need to finish azslogans choppers as I'm producing also.

Digler

Officer
Officer Club
Nov 28, 2012
Vancouver,BC Canada
www.facebook.com
HFF Here is some more learning pics.... my backgound tilt is a little off. I haven't photoshoped anything yet I'm still learning blending with out the brushes. If I can do this fairly well, then the brush tools will take it over the top.

I've got aways to go yet before you won't be able to tell between shots...but I'll get there eventually...:)

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
That works quite well. Like you mentioned, getting the building tilts the same would make that look fantastic. Wouldn't mind seeing it in color though.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
WOW! A lot has changed in 3 months

LOL

Great work Digler! Setting the mark