Guardians of the Galaxy Rocket Raccoon & Groot (Marvel Universe/Infinite)

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014

That Figures: REVIEW: Marvel Universe's Rocket Raccoon & Groot

The Marvel Universe (and soon-to-be Marvel Infinite) Rocket Raccoon and Groot figures are, like the characters themselves, something of an oddity. Just as fans of spandex-clad, roof-swinging superheroes may find a genetically-enhanced furry critter and a sentient tree a little hard to handle, so too fans of pose-able, super-detailed superhero figures may not really warm to this pair.

It's too easy to look at them and see what's missing, rather than what's actually here though and that's a shame, as once you get past the lack of articulation and diminutive size (which is actually to-scale with the other figures and so isn't something you really should get hung up on) you'll see that there's a lot to like. The sculpting is really quite excellent, with Rocket Raccoon's facial detail and ''animal parts'' having a great, ''natural world'' look to them and the uniform sports enough in the way of folds and accessories to really sell the idea of it being a costume (rather than part of the character himself.) Even Groot, for all his diminutive scale, has some cool little touches and although it would have been great to have a humanoid-scale ''big'' Groot, this version is a neat little addition to the line.

What I like is that there's a charm to both figures. They have personality and character. Whether that's because they're just so strange-looking or whether it's because very single piece used is bespoke I don't know. All I do know is that they look great, especially when placed beside other Marvel Universe/Infinite figures, as at that point it becomes clear that whilst they're definitely of the same line they're so odd and off-the-wall that they highlight just how ''flat'' Hasbro's offerings can be at times (I mean, how many figures in the line-up are simply the same buck repainted? Too many if you ask me...)

My only reservation - complete lack of articulation aside - is that this pairing carries a pretty hefty price tag. I'm really not sure how Hasbro can justify charging almost $12 for these figures (although with that said, I don't know how they justify that price for a single ''regular'' figure either), especially considering that the original four-figure pack retailed at $20 and included Star-Lord and Drax to boot...

Here's the thing though: if you love Rocket Raccoon (and to a lesser degree, Groot) then this figure set will make you happy. And sure, you'd be even happier if it were cheaper or the figures had some actual, working articulation but if you're a fan of the pair (or indeed the Guardians in general) or you want something a little different from the hundreds of Iron Fishing Super Spider-Man or Electro-Power Math Class Wolverine figures that come with every other movie release then I think you'll find these two are just what you're looking for.

Great-looking figures, let down by non-existent articulation and a high price point.

Full Review and Pics Here:
That Figures: REVIEW: Marvel Universe's Rocket Raccoon & Groot

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
There is no reason these two, or Puck for that matter, shouldn't have been accessories to another figure.

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
There is no reason these two, or Puck for that matter, shouldn't have been accessories to another figure.

The four-pack isn't a bad deal. At the time I felt it was maybe overpriced, given that there were only 2 ''real'' figures in there but now I look back, $20 for Drax and Star-Lord plus the ''minifigures'' wasn't a bad deal at all.

But yeah, I think Hasbro is being a little mean/silly putting this out as a ''two-figure'' pack (my words, not their's but still) and they really should have included either with the ''full'' GotG figures in the wave.

Mr. Black

Enlisted
Jun 9, 2013
Netherlands
www.facebook.com
The lack of articulation is very disturbing. There are lots of small figures like Rocket, that feature plenty of articulation (the Ewok figures, for instance). I have two of these Rocket figures, waiting to be cut apart and customized :)

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
The lack of articulation is very disturbing. There are lots of small figures like Rocket, that feature plenty of articulation (the Ewok figures, for instance). I have two of these Rocket figures, waiting to be cut apart and customized :)

Yeah, like I mentioned in the Review, even if they couldn't do full MU-style articulation (which to be fair could be difficult on such an oddly-proportioned figure) they could at least have added come kind of cut shoulder joint or a waist twist, much like they did with the Hercules/Perseus True Legends figures. It's a real shame, as the sculpt and paint app are both really nice.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The difference being there's reuse potential for an ewok mold. There's virtually none for Rocket Raccoon's. Then again, they made a Hit Monkey BaF, and what the hell are the chances of them reissuing that figure?

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
The difference being there's reuse potential for an ewok mold. There's virtually none for Rocket Raccoon's. Then again, they made a Hit Monkey BaF, and what the hell are the chances of them reissuing that figure?

They could have gone the BAF route with Rocket Raccoon, really.

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
Nice review, I'm glad I got these in their 3(4?) pack. I did see them again at ROSS the other day for $10ish...
Nice figures regardless, I wish they would have done some movie versions in the 1:18 scale though.

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
Nice review, I'm glad I got these in their 3(4?) pack. I did see them again at ROSS the other day for $10ish...
Nice figures regardless, I wish they would have done some movie versions in the 1:18 scale though.

Thanks.

Personally I'm a bit of a ''comic-style or nothing'' when it comes to the MU line (mainly as 99% of comic-to-movie adaptations look so terrible) so I'm pleased they went the route they did but at the same time, it is surprising Hasbro did 2'' and 6'' but nothing in the middle.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Great review! Very well written!

So is there a 4"+ Groot anywhere in the MU/MI line? I don't recall seeing one, but I also haven't followed movie stuff (5 POA nonsense)

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!

So is there a 4"+ Groot anywhere in the MU/MI line? I don't recall seeing one, but I also haven't followed movie stuff (5 POA nonsense)

There is a battle action type of toy that would work scale wise. But its not a great option. I'll just make a custom out of these apple seeds & dirt.

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it.

There's a BAF Groot with the Marvel Legends GotG line. So it would only cost you about $60 for a 6'' scale figure.

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
There is a battle action type of toy that would work scale wise. But its not a great option. I'll just make a custom out of these apple seeds & dirt.

Is that the leg-squeeze one? I think it's about 6'' tall, which yeah would be about right. It does look very toy-like though, but I'm not sure how much of that is sculpt and how much is paint.

Iok

Enlisted
Jun 21, 2014
I wish Hasbro was more in touch with the toy community.

I know. Why didn't they do one of those 36'' tall figures of Groot? Seriously that WOULD be a figure I'd buy at that scale, as it's a toy that would work at a variety of scales...

PROVOST

Colonel in Chief
Officer Club
Jun 28, 2011
Terra Australis
Saw GoTG today,awesome film....

Excellent visuals,all the characters - central and background all were really well done.

Cast was excellent and finally to see Thanos.

Ronan the Accuser was well done too.

10/10