How flexible is styrene?

red4

Enlisted
Feb 25, 2012
Would it be feasible to bend styrene to make brush guards? If not, how would you go about making brush guards for a 1:18 scale vehicle.

There are a lot of rounded bends involved.

Depends on the thickness. I've got some that are paper thin- and it's as flexible. The other option is to get something a bit thicker and drop it in some boiling water- remove it, shape it and let it cool. I've used that making the gun track on my APC. And it's held up for three years now.

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011
Stryene would work. Just heat some styrene rod up, bend it, and then let it cool off.

Wild weasel

needs killer whale parts!
Jun 9, 2011
Agreed with what has been said here, alot of guys heat it up with a lighter(keep atleast 6 inches away) and bend it to make rollcages in 1/24

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Slinky brand pick up sticks will bend without heating and pretty much stay bent. Will not crack or break. they are dirt cheap too and the ball on both ends of each stick fits most modern era joe heads. 2 possible uses for something that will cost less than 5 bucks and 26 of them in a tube.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Here you go. I put a ROC Baroness head on a stick and bent it as well to show that the head stays (snug too) and the sticks bend without problems. I love these things. i have modded so many neck joints using them. I pop my heads on them to paint them.

If you can find the classic pickup sticks that work for the game Ker-Plunk. they fit into the foot peg holes of joes perfectly.

Attachments

• slinky pickup sticks 004.jpg
    slinky pickup sticks 004.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Thank you, sir! I shall be on the look-out for these.

Got a Renegades Duke to fix. Now if I could just fix his damn split wrist. Only thing I hate about bare forearms.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Pick-up sticks with BALLS on the ends?

Pfft. I remember when those things had sharp pointy ends like tooth-picks, that game was more fun with the added danger!

Beeavision

A pirate's life for me!
Mar 14, 2011
Orlando, FL
Metal wire at Lowes/Home Depot may work too. Comes in many gauges and flavors....copper, aluminum, and so on. Bends well without heating or snapping. Tools such as a pair of needle nose pliers will certainly come in handy for those tighter bends. Just a thought.

Beeavision

A pirate's life for me!
Mar 14, 2011
Orlando, FL
Also, if you use pliers be sure to wrap some duct/electrical tape around the ends so you don't nick the metal with the teeth grips.

red4

Enlisted
Feb 25, 2012
Metal wire at Lowes/Home Depot may work too. Comes in many gauges and flavors....copper, aluminum, and so on. Bends well without heating or snapping. Tools such as a pair of needle nose pliers will certainly come in handy for those tighter bends. Just a thought.

That's all well and good until time comes to start welding pieces together to create the cage forms.

Beeavision

A pirate's life for me!
Mar 14, 2011
Orlando, FL
If you have a small soldering gun all you need is some all purpose soldering flux paste to weld them together with. Seen it done on copper railings for a miniature train engine. What ever works best for you though.

Beeavision

A pirate's life for me!
Mar 14, 2011
Orlando, FL
Second thought you're probably better off using plastic anyhow as it tends to hold its form better then metal at such small gauges. Metal would most likely bend out of shape when handled inappropriately where as plastic may bend a bit without snapping but will always bounce back into place after letting go. Stick with plastic instead.

red4

Enlisted
Feb 25, 2012
I bought some styrene rods today. They hold sharp bends fantastically without heating. I'm in love.