is hasbro backing the wrong horse agin?

xhairs

odd man out !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 15, 2011
blasdell ny
photobucket.com
so it looks like hasbro is doing it agin with the joe 2 and putting everything else on hold till the movie drops the 30anny line was pushed up and now back while the movie toys should come out at the same time. it seems they didnt learn from the last one.

now this makes no sense as that mean we are not going to have any new product in stores to keep the kids into joe. so they will forget about the line agin then like the article says. look at what happen with roc and how bad that was for joe.

I know hasbro is tiring there best to bring joe in to the forefront agin but they need to keep new product on the shelves. TF has had product on the shelves right up to the movie. also with what walmart did by dropping the line from a lot of there store and now just getting them back they are going to have a gap in the line.

also they need to work on the code for the new waves vs old waves as my walmart is now ordering wave 2 of poc agin. here is what they need to do right now IMO. 1) a toy commercial for whats out there 2) stick with a GOOD toon that is good for kids and us to tie in the history and future of joe 3)no matter what keep it on the air.

GI Joe Weaker After Rise Of Cobra
Richard Gottlieb of the Gifts And Decorative Accessories site, has recently posted an article debating if movie tie-ins are good for toy brands. While his article goes over the success of Cars 2 toys for Mattel, it also questions if a bad movie will doom a toy brand/line. Interestingly enough, GI Joe does come up in the discussion:

So, the question is how many of the children who leave Hot Wheels for the latest Cars themed products come back to Hot Wheels? In addition, what is the impact of a bad movie on an evergreen? My sources tell me that GI Joe has not recovered its former strength since the ill-fated movie came out. Rather than see it as a traditional toy, children who saw the movie saw it as just one of last summer's tie-in movies. Once the movie was done, they moved on to the next movie.

Movie tie-ins are important to the toy industry and no one is suggesting we back off. We may, however, want to think twice about the overall impact of a movie tie-in on the long term health of our highest value brands.

You may notice that the 1st live action Transformers Movie line broke the stigma(especially during that time...the Spiderman 3 and Pirates Of The Carribean lines weren't flying off of shelves) that "movie toys don't sell". Since 2007, plenty of movie toys have graced, and warmed, the shelves, even those tied into blockbuster hits such as Star Trek, and Avatar(to name a few). Unlike other movie toylines, the 2007 Transformers Movie line could not keep supply up with demand. Sure there have been other successful movie toy lines in recent years, but it's safe to say that most movie toylines weren't outright successes.

With the GI Joe 30th Anniversary line seeming shorter than expected, and GI Joe Renegades On Hiatus, it does seem like Hasbro is putting more effort into GI Joe II.

However, do you think this is the right direction to go in? It definitely seems that GI Joe II will be notably different from Rise Of Cobra, but do you think it's worth the risk, depending on the next movie to reinvigorate the GI Joe brand? Note that aside from the IDW GI Joe Comics, GI Joe II is the only big media tie-in planned for 2012. Any new animated series will come afterwards.

Ever since JoeCon 2010 we've been hearing that GI Joe II will be notably different from Rise Of Cobra. Anywhere from Brian Goldner stating that "In many ways, it'll be great for the people who saw the first one, but you don't need to have studied every element of the first one to enjoy the second. We've made sure that that's the case.", to director Jon Chu wanting a Gritty GI Joe 2. Now according to allkpop by way of BH Entertainment(agency for Storm Shadow actor Lee Byung Hun), GI Joe II will have a "different appeal":

Lee Byung Hun’s agency, BH Entertainment, stated, “After leaving for America yesterday, he is trying to adjust to the time difference and also further analyze his character. After spending time to prepare for his film, he is planning to concentrate on filming. Please expect for ‘Storm Shadow’ and a different appeal.â€￾

Just little more than year to see how different GI Joe II will turn out to be.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I think anyone thinking Joe will be anything more than a b-sting property is probably deluding themselves.

It's time in the sun has passed, it hasn't got the perennial staying power of transforming robots or superheroes.

Maybe one day we'll have another Ronald Reagan in the White House, another Evil Empire to feud with, to inspire a love of our military and an "America, fuck yeah!" spirit.

A world where video games take a nose dive and kids play with toys longer. Yeah, right.

garrison99

Star Wars Freak
Founder
Jul 23, 2011
A Galaxy Far Far Away
After comic-con it appears Hasbro is going to throw all their time and efforts into the 3D release of all 6 SW movies starting next year. I bet the Gungans get more action next year than the Joes.

garrison99

Star Wars Freak
Founder
Jul 23, 2011
A Galaxy Far Far Away
I was watching the dvd of RC Ep3 last night and they did an interview with Lucas and one guy did a spot on impersonation of Boss Nass and Lucas basically thanked the guy for reminding him of one of his mistakes!

xhairs

Mar 15, 2011
blasdell ny
photobucket.com
I think Joe has to take a chance that the movie will help sell figures, they need a homerun to convince retailers to restock their product, and movie toys almost get guaranteed a spot on the pegs.

did u read the article lol they do but hasbro also needs to keep things on the shelves for ppl to buy them and make them money lol.

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
definitly need to leave it on the pegs and TV to get continued exposure until the movie...not let it die off and out of the memories of the few kids that were intersested...

but what do we know?...the last time Hasbro did this EXACT SAME THING right before RoC, it was a roaring success :rolleyes:

The Ewokhunter

Crazyass Cracker
Mar 14, 2011
thingsatwistedewokwouldsay.blogspot.com
definitly need to leave it on the pegs and TV to get continued exposure until the movie...not let it die off and out of the memories of the few kids that were intersested...

but what do we know?...the last time Hasbro did this EXACT SAME THING right before RoC, it was a roaring success :rolleyes:

Yup

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
All-New! G.I. Joe Action Vacation Winnebago!

If i brought that in the house my proper 1:18 vehicles would conspire to kill me.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
just like with Renegades...when it was FINALLY getting good, they kill it...i used to dream of Joe movies, now, its the most dreaded thing to happen to the brand...somehow, that seems wrong...how come only the fans can see that?

The Ewokhunter

Crazyass Cracker
Mar 14, 2011
thingsatwistedewokwouldsay.blogspot.com
because there are no other collectors/buyers. fans are really the ones buying this. Hasbro is the one with the blinders on. They think kids are buying this shit.

WE are buying OUR kids this shit. Grandparents buy whatever is cheaper, kids buy whatever is hot. WE buy what we cherish. WE buy our kids what we want them to like.

They don't seem to understand this.

fuck em.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
I said it before and i will say it again. They need to shop renegades to other stations. make it more easy for kids to see it. I liked renegades alot as well as my kids. They did not like GI Joe at all before the toon. Now every Snake Eyes or Stormshadow my son sees he wants (he even wants Major Bludd to have a croc eat his arm off). I know renegades is over, But hey, cant they shop season 1 to Cartoon Network or somewhere that has a larger audience than the hub. Judging by my kids and some of my friends kids, if there is a cartoon they see, they want the toys, does not work that way with movies.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
GI Joe is on it's last leg so it doesn't matter what the movie does IMO. What are they going to do after the movie? Start another line? We all need to brace for the final blow. Stores won't want to carry it and kids don't want to buy it. Adults are the only ones getting these things. Once they canned POC that was it. They actually had a decent formula that made you want to get a few extra to make troops. Now, they are showing that they are catering to adults with the 30th line but not admitting to it.

They do seem to be trying to create a lure with the compound Z that they are adding in the 30th line but will they go anywhere with it or even have time to? Maybe it's part of the movie? Who knows but either way I'm glad I got what I could when it was out.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
1:35 scale has alot of cool stuff, buildings, all kinds of armor, vehicles, planes, shit I'll get more on my table for dio's. HMMM.

Wild weasel

needs killer whale parts!
Jun 9, 2011
Yeah 1:32/1:35 is addicting.. and there is tons of stuff. Even more if you go 1:72!

But you lose a lot of detail.. I think 1:18 is the perfect mix.

1/32/1/35 premade stuff doesn't have good detail, but with tank models, I'm building a 6 inch tank model with 1200+ parts, sometimes detail is too much.
1/18 is definately my favorite, best mix of detail and simpleness

Last edited:

xhairs

Mar 15, 2011
blasdell ny
photobucket.com
GI Joe is on it's last leg so it doesn't matter what the movie does IMO. What are they going to do after the movie? Start another line? We all need to brace for the final blow. Stores won't want to carry it and kids don't want to buy it. Adults are the only ones getting these things. Once they canned POC that was it. They actually had a decent formula that made you want to get a few extra to make troops. Now, they are showing that they are catering to adults with the 30th line but not admitting to it.

They do seem to be trying to create a lure with the compound Z that they are adding in the 30th line but will they go anywhere with it or even have time to? Maybe it's part of the movie? Who knows but either way I'm glad I got what I could when it was out.

i hear ya but they are trying to do many dif takes on joe now they had what worked and let it go with Resolute IMO. the 30anny is not just for us and we need it to as the 25th got most of us back in to the line and every line has a anny line. the prob is that they need 2 lines or a mix of the classics with new looks to keep everyone happy.

they think cuse it has joe on it ppl will buy it and that's not the case anymore we all have our likes and dislikes and what we buy and don't. you cant force us to buy crap all the time. they need to give us a good blend of product to buy.

lets face it if the movie flops agin that's it for joe there is no coming back from it agin. as they cant pick one thing and stick with it as they want it to make alot of money right now they forget it takes awhile to get stem built up for a line to grow. also they need things to back it other then a movie. they need commercials, toon and video games. oh and store to carry the product and have new product on the shelves.

oh and 118th is the best line and they finally fig that out. look they tried 8in and smaller with S6 and it bombed cuse of price and not alot of us liked them. 3 3/4in is hot right now and as always been the way to go.

SlayerDave

Enlisted
Jun 27, 2011
Gijoe is being bought by collectors and for customs for the most part, the product is not stocked enough to go after a larger market.

As fans we are part to blame, we have said in the past if they make this I will be all over that, so they make it, we see it, and we decide it sucks now. So they look at that and say, fine....

Here is what we are going to do with this line, we are going make what we want, how we want, and they will buy it, because its all the joe they will have. And sure enough most of the fans do, and some of the stuff is awesome, and some just crap.

gotta say its hard to collect these days, everything we collected as kids, is back on the shelves again, or will be soon. Thats hard to keep up with unless you pick just joes or just starwars. I played with everything as a kid,, but now I just pick and choose.

To me ARAH is what I collect, everything else is custom fodder for some project in the near never have enough time projects.

I have been a fan for a long time, but I was more of a fan of the idea of toys in this scale, if somebody else came along with really cool characters in this scale, and they had good articulation and just as good sculpts, I would be all over that stuff.

A good movie will make or brake the line, but they will keep the Joe line going in some way, it may not be 3 3/4 but in some fashion we will see GIJOE.

The side show stuff is kicking ass, and some folks have moved on to it, I mean Hell Joe started out in the 12 inch format for me, I played with those figures way before ARAH.

I do see your point X, they should try and stick with something, its to bad they dont keep a toon running, my kids loved it as well.

SR_501

Walfisch.
Mar 14, 2011
1/32/1/35 premade stuff doesn't have good detail.

Have you seen Forces of Valor's Pershing, Jagdpanther, and T-34/85. Most other company's stuff is not as good because of the figures there designed to go with, Which would be old marx figures and playsets, there tanks were out of scale anyway so it fits with them.

Oh, I thought G.I. Joe died after 94'...... :p

Last edited:

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
Have you seen Forces of Valor's Pershing, Jagdpanther, and T-34/85. Most other company's stuff is not as good because of the figures there designed to go with, Which would be old marx figures and playsets, there tanks were out of scale anyway so it fits with them.

Oh, I thought G.I. Joe died after 94'...... :p

No, I actually haven't. I think I will...

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
fuck it, I don't care anymore. With figure pricing being 8-9 dollars, Ten if it's star wars crap, I couldn't afford the fucking shit anyway. I already have a decent collection of joes, and as much as I'd like to get a skystriker, a couple vamps, six steel brigade troopers, six Gen Hawks, (not to mention the USS Flagg my aunt has stuffed away in her attic but won't get out because she's a lazy stuck up witch. not that it matters it's probably dust by now anyways because it's been in that attic since the 80's suffering the heat and cold) etc, etc, etc I just don't have the fucking money to throw away in Army building. if they were $5-6.50 it would be different.

On a side note I'm lucky to have found crazy legs (who's legs are screwed up by those stupid straps just like Airborne) and mystique (AKA blue boobs yum yum), they're going to make out on the at-at. Isn't mystique a milf? or is she a cougar? I also found some deluxe Hydra troopers, but they were ten fucking dollars and have terrible articulation. Fuck you hasbro for making crap toy articulation for toys of surprisingly good movies. At least Mystique's hip joints work correctly, and that's all that matters for crazy legs.

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
^ That flagg should be fine. See if you can come by and just get it yourself. I got my cousins flagg(which is like dead mintyness- AWESOME) which was in an attic in a garage and saw lots of 100+ degrees and negative temperatures. Its fine, just yellowed which is an easy fix(peroxide)

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
thanks wild weasel at least I know the thing won't disintegrate into dust like a corpse that's been sealed in a tomb for thousands of years. Now I just need a team willing to commit burglary and possibly punch an old lady. It will be like Ocean's 11 but really lame, so it's more like Ocean's 12.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Nothing Merit distributed here was ever 5 bucks anyhow. Maybe the first few waves of Bbi figures way back in the early '00s.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
i can't do it...i can't...$10 is retarded...no wonder kids don't play with toys, or no wonder parents don't buy them

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
yeah i get that and can see it easily happening...SW are already 8.99...suck my a$$!...but they charge that cause they can get that...not so sure they can do that with Joe...demand isnt that high

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
I say we just boycott anything over $6.50. That's my new policy. Unimax stuff may not be my personal favorite, but god dammit their action figures have remained at the solid price of five bucks and hasn't changed for years. Their figures are worth buying just to get the helmets, weapons, and other accessories to use with your older Joe figures. Merit is full of shit and the larger companies like Hasbro are using Algebraic formulas as an excuse to gouge us out of more fucking money. I see no legitimate excuse for having Joes at eight (never mind ten) dollars. It's bullshit and it's bad for you.