JoeCon 2011 Python Tele-Viper Review

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
As a kid I had the Python Patrol and I actually liked them. As I've gotten older, I didn't enjoy them as much. When the 25th line started producing Python Patrol figures, I wasn't excited at first but then I wanted them to finish the rest of the team and of course they didn't. In fact they took one of the most popular troop builders and packaged him with an exclusive vehicle. Really? Not very well planned. We have good news for the completist, The original Python Patrol got completed with the JoeCon set 2011.

Python Tele-Vipers are the pride of the Python Patrol because of their technical knowledge and gear and is a stark contrast to traditional Tele-Vipers who are considered "squealers". The Python Tele-Viper is a direct repaint of the 25th Tele-Viper that was packaged with the trouble bubble. The only difference is in the forearms. The figure comes in it's traditional PP colors except this figure has an open vest showing more of his yellow shirt and has higher black boots. The paint applications are perfectly done. Not a single blemish. On his left arm he has the Python Patrol badge and on his right arm he has a Cobra symbol.

The figure has a full range of motion and is very poseable. Both hands have a nice grip that allow him to hold any and all weapons and accessories. The head moves left and right, however he can't move up and down. The head sculpt shows a very mean and ugly face. One thing that would have been nice is to have his teeth painted. The figure is so gaudy that you don't realize unless your directly staring at his teeth.

Now onto the best part of the figure, the accessories. Other then Wet Suit, the PP Tele-Viper has the best set of accessories in the set. He comes with a 2 peg Cobra Stand, a Mars briefcase that opens up to a Laptop, a silver machine gun that also fits in the briefcase, a black backpack that was first seen with Lt. Falcon, a knife that fits in the back pack, a silver radio that breaks into 3 pieces including a antenna that also fits into the backpack and finally a File Card. All of the accessories fit the figure very well and is what you would expect him to have. My only complaint is the backpack is very difficult to close. Having the radio in the pack somewhat warps it and even when you take the radio out, it's hard as hell to get shut. His grey vest is also removable and has a back hole to fit his back pack.

Overall I'm very happy with this figure. They did the best they could to re-produce the classic 1989 Python Patrol Tele-Viper.

8 out of 10

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I'm sort of irritated at myself for chopping up my PP Copperhead for a custom Sarge, now that Sarge has come out and I can't exactly return Copperhead to his factory look... Grrr.

He's the one I'm missing (besides Cobra De Aco, but I don't want him) from finishing my PP team. Good review, I've had this sucker since the week after Con but I've been too lazy to even open the plastic baggie. It's an okay figure, but I think the Tele-Viper was one of the worst figures in the 25th line, and although the arms help, he's still ill-proportioned, awkward and slumpy.

The Trooper on the other hand, actually looks kind of cool. Well, as cool as you can get in the Python Patrol eye-bleed scheme...

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
funny Rex that we see eye to eye on most Joe stuff, yet you have always hated the TV and he has always been one of my faves (after some simple mods especially)...

i really like the arms used on the PP TV better, though still not accurate...and i've always not cared for PP in the least, but dang it if all your reviews lately havent peaked my interest MW

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
I'm sort of irritated at myself for chopping up my PP Copperhead for a custom Sarge, now that Sarge has come out and I can't exactly return Copperhead to his factory look... Grrr.

He's the one I'm missing (besides Cobra De Aco, but I don't want him) from finishing my PP team. Good review, I've had this sucker since the week after Con but I've been too lazy to even open the plastic baggie. It's an okay figure, but I think the Tele-Viper was one of the worst figures in the 25th line, and although the arms help, he's still ill-proportioned, awkward and slumpy.

The Trooper on the other hand, actually looks kind of cool. Well, as cool as you can get in the Python Patrol eye-bleed scheme...

The Trooper is nice! I will hopefully do that review later tonight or tomorrow. I'm not a big fan of the 25th TV either but I like the PP one. It helps having him with the entire squad, you enjoy them more that way.

funny Rex that we see eye to eye on most Joe stuff, yet you have always hated the TV and he has always been one of my faves (after some simple mods especially)...

i really like the arms used on the PP TV better, though still not accurate...and i've always not cared for PP in the least, but dang it if all your reviews lately havent peaked my interest MW

The arms are a big improvement. I gotta say that when you see a PP figure alone it looks lame but when you start putting together the whole team, they are pretty badass!

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone

It was the absolute worst trooper from the 25th line, from the factory. I had to replace his lower legs, lower arms, and paint his damn teeth and add some other paint apps, three times, just to get 3 of them that didn't irritate me. The figure had a total of about 2-3 paint apps straight from the factory, which is embarrassing. His teeth were left unpainted!

Goldbug

BND
Mar 15, 2011
Smallville, IL
goldbug.yolasite.com
It was the absolute worst trooper from the 25th line, from the factory. I had to replace his lower legs, lower arms, and paint his damn teeth and add some other paint apps, three times, just to get 3 of them that didn't irritate me. The figure had a total of about 2-3 paint apps straight from the factory, which is embarrassing. His teeth were left unpainted!
Ah yes I painted all the teeth on mine too.
I also painted over that silver line on the regular version's helmet. It looks like they over painted on there.

MW did you assemble the radio correctly? I didn't & the backpack didn't close right. Once I figured that out I could close it.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I also painted over that silver line on the regular version's helmet. It looks like they over painted on there.

Me too! Er, sorta. I painted the recessed area black because it looked really odd to me.

In fact, I think the only place they've gotten the teeth right was on the ROC exclusive version, but the rest of that figure was so awful, that I think most people forget he even existed... I had to combine him with some other ROC fodder to make a somewhat decent-looking TV Officer.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011

MW did you assemble the radio correctly? I didn't & the backpack didn't close right. Once I figured that out I could close it.

Yes I did. It wouldn't even close before I tried to put the radio in the pack. I can only close one of the 2 packs that came with the figure.

Not every figure can meet your standers :rolleyes:

Dr Syn

humerus
Mar 27, 2011
Me too! Er, sorta. I painted the recessed area black because it looked really odd to me.

In fact, I think the only place they've gotten the teeth right was on the ROC exclusive version, but the rest of that figure was so awful, that I think most people forget he even existed... I had to combine him with some other ROC fodder to make a somewhat decent-looking TV Officer.

Holy Crap dude!

Those are some nice mods to the Tele-Viper.

Goldbug

BND
Mar 15, 2011
Smallville, IL
goldbug.yolasite.com

Cool! I shall steal that RoC idea! :D

danielgogeta

Enlisted
Mar 26, 2011
i really want to get the set, but its way above my current budget. Congrats on the acquisition and detailed review :)

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
i really want to get the set, but its way above my current budget. Congrats on the acquisition and detailed review :)

Thanks Bro. It's not a fancy style like yours :)

The set is awesome, Rex and Eddie did some reviews and I've been finishing them up. I plan on doing the last review of the set tonight.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Thanks for helping finish up this set review, MW. Maybe we can get them all together or something into one thread?... It's a tad late after JoeCon, but I don't think any one site has done the whole set as a review yet, have they? We could maybe do it as a feature or something. I dunno...

Holy Crap dude!

Those are some nice mods to the Tele-Viper.

Thanks dude, but now that I have them all done, I don't like the ROC Hawk lower arms anymore. Haha. The beefy Flint arms are overdone, but look ok on them. I wish they had another set of lower arms without gloves like Hawk, but a little beefier.

Also, I see that reviews are now hitting on the sidebar. Nice!

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Thanks for helping finish up this set review, MW. Maybe we can get them all together or something into one thread?... It's a tad late after JoeCon, but I don't think any one site has done the whole set as a review yet, have they? We could maybe do it as a feature or something. I dunno...

No problem, It was fun. I like that idea. It is a few months late but even review heavy sites like Justin's still hasn't put up a set review. The best idea is to prolly start a new thread with links and maybe select a few of the better pics from all the reviews or something.

I'm sure if you put together an idea on a feature, it would look good.