JUMBO Sherman Almost Done !!!

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Hey Guys ,

I was almost done with my JUMBO mod at Small Scale and it seems like the interest has dried up.

I know this is not what you would call a WW2 forum but I know that there are a few guys who are interested in the old stuff .

I have made the duckbills for the tracks but I have not made the armored sides yet .

Pricing is here toward the middle of the first page

Small Scale Military Headquarters - View topic - Jumbo / Easy 8--I Need A Show Of Hands !!

I put the JUMBO aside for a week to work on the Hind project here are a few pics to garnish any interest .

Any interest ?

Reactions: Sgt301

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
For $65 I'd buy the kit. Would it fit on the Bravo Team Sherman?

Well ... $65 will be for the turret only .

The doaner Sherman is a Bravo Team or FOV Sherman

The front glacias extra side armor and the aprx 200 duck bill track extenders will make up the rest of the kit .

JUMBO parts list

Turret-------$65-$70--- the turret is a big part and will have lots of resin in it
Hull parts ---$45 --------these are big parts as well
Duckbills ---$15
Shipping ---$15

Total $---$140-$145

Salty Marine ,

If you commit you will meet my quota and I will go ahead with this project !! Please PM me.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Thanks Guys it means a lot .

I almost have the prototype done and will post pics this weekend .

The duckbill tracks really look cool . But it took me about 4 hours to clean and mount the bits on the tracks. I am thinking real hard of making the full tracks rather than the duckbill tips.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
The prototype is done.

I remade the front tranny cover added side armor and added the duckbill track ends .

It took me about 4 hours to clean up and glue on the ends . I think that I may offer them as the little tabs and I will try to make full built tracks so as to try and cut out the 4 hours worth of labor.

The Shemans tracks were direction . I goofed and put the bills on the same side of the tracks. Believe it or not I checked so this would not happen. But it did anyway.:explode:

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
OK Guys ,

Thanks for the orders. I should wrap up my last 2 HUMVEE builds either today or Wends. and I will start the mold making process .

I will also start the molds for the backdated Hanomag project.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
All the kits are packed ready to ship.

Salty Marine I need your address to ship !!

When you guys pay with paypal please add the fallowing info

1. Your forum name
2. What you are paying for
3. Address

Thanks

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Got my kit yesterday!. Thanks, Pickle! Do you have instructions posted online somewhere?

Here you go .

The only critical issue is the cutting of the hull. The cut line is 33 mm from the front. Cut it strait and all should be good.

Once you cut it clean up the new front end and glue it in.

Once together glue on the sides and the rest of the pieces clean up and putty and that is you.

It may help placing the cut hull and new parts on the bottom hull and let the screw pegs align things.

Small Scale Military Headquarters - View topic - 1/18 JUMBO Sherman Building Tips

Preacher13

Officer X
Jul 16, 2014
Center Moriches, NY
www.instagram.com
Pickle: I usually use Green Stuff putty for smaller projects. What would you suggest I use for this? Also, for the stuff with metal rods, like the barrel support, do I just cut around the hinges and hope the bar doesn't end up sliding out?

Is there any particular method for best applying the tracks? Also that soft rubber will likely become sticky if I try priming it. What paint would you suggest?

Sorry for all the questions, but I don't want to mess it up.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Pickle: I usually use Green Stuff putty for smaller projects. What would you suggest I use for this? Also, for the stuff with metal rods, like the barrel support, do I just cut around the hinges and hope the bar doesn't end up sliding out?

Is there any particular method for best applying the tracks? Also that soft rubber will likely become sticky if I try priming it. What paint would you suggest?

Sorry for all the questions, but I don't want to mess it up.

1. Green stuff is fine but I use Bondo glazing putty it is red in color and sets up FAST .

2. The piano wire can be cut with snippers but becareful so the wires does not fly away.

3. Use thisck super glue to cement the tracks together .

I used this to prime the tracks and they did not get sticky at all !!!

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Hey guys ,

I AM HAVING MAJOR ISSUES WITH THE TRACKS .

THEY SPLIT AND CAME RIGHT OFF OF THE RUNNING GEAR

DO NOT USE THE TRACKS I SENT OUT .

I have contacted Smooth On and they are sending me out some casting rubber .

This casting rubber takes 16 hours to cure and at that rate it will take well over a week to refill the orders.

This SUCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Well, I for one appreciate that you are telling us and doing the right thing. Thanks!

Thanks but it is a big set back.

I got the resin rubber in today and have cast my first set of tracks .

I will tell you all how they turn out .

After 16 hours !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
OK I think we are out of the woods .

I sprayed the tracks with my primer sealer and got some bumper and trim spray primer from O Rielys Auto .

Both worked well in a stretch test so it looks like both can be used .

The primer sealer is gray and the bumper primer is black.

As far as which one is better I do not know . But imperfections are easier to pick out with the gray and the black hides most of the imperfections .

On my builds I will use the gray first for touch ups and then go over with the black .

I glued the ends together with thick CA glue and the rubbers seems to be holding STRONG .

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
OK Guys ,

This is it. It is too bad that the first semi rigid resin did not work.

It cleaned up real nice with very little effort .

The new cream colored rubber tracks are another story.
It took me 4 hours of trail and error to clean it up.
The problem was the flash between the duckbills as well as the inside tips on the other side of the links.

So here is what I came up with and the second set I had to make , took me right at 1-1/2 hours to complete .

You can try your own method but believe when I tell you I TRIED EVEYTHING !!!!!!!!!!!!

If YOU FOLLOW THESE STEPS YOUR TRACKS CAN BE READY TO PAINT IN ONE AND A HALF HOURS.

Tools needed
A. Sharp scissors
B. Needle nose pliers
C .Thick super glue
D. Super glue kicker
E. X-acto with new sharp scapple type blade. . The pointy # 11 will not work.
F Sanding board
G. Dremel not pictured

Spray the black rubber bumper paint first ( allow to dry ) then lightly spray paint the gray primer sealer . LIGHTLY !!

You do not want to coat the tracks with the gray just change the color a bit to see the details in the track

Step 1

Make a cutting jig . The rubber is so soft that it needs a backing so you can cut through it .

I glued 3 strips of thin plywood so that the teeth of the track will fit in and the duckbills would be supported . It will be nearly impossible to cut the rubber cleanly if you do not make it .

Step 2

Cut the major flash off with the sharp scissors . Finish up with Dremel . Touch the Dremel as soft as you can.
DO NOT CUT BETWEEN THE TRACKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Touch up with sanding stick.

Step 3

Using sharp scissors cut between track nibs .
Cut one side then the other , cutting at a 45 degree angle . Then pull out flash with needle nose pliers .

Step 4.

Run a thin bead of super glue on the BACK SIDE OF THE FLASH.
Do about 6 links and spritz with kicker .
Repeat until full track link is done .
Try to glue the flash only .

Step 5

Place the track in the jig and cut with x-acto .
Cut the track between the duck bills left side right side cutting at a 45 degree angle .Kind of like cutting down under the duck bill making sure you cut all the way through and slicing by the duckbill.
Pull off flash between links with needle nose plier .

Step 6
Sand the back of the duckbills

Step 7

That is it paint !!

Paint with bumper paint. That stuff has a nasty smell to kit make sure you paint OUTSIDE !!

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Got my tracks today. This looks hard. Will let you know how it goes. Not sure I understand the need for the superglue... strengthening?

Trying to cut soft rubber is not easy even with a sharp knife.

By using the glue it stiffens it up so you have something to cut .

It is near impossible to cut without using it.

The flash just mushes it's way away from the knife blade.

Preacher13

Officer X
Jul 16, 2014
Center Moriches, NY
www.instagram.com
DUN DUN DUN!! The Sherman Jumbo is complete and now finally painted! Still want to accessorize it a bit more, but I'm happy enough with it to show now. What do you guys think? I'm pretty proud of it.

Will take some better pics of it outside soon. Thanks, Pickelhaube!

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Man it looks sweet !!

You are the first one on the planet to have a 1/18th scale Sherman with duckbill tracks .

Add to that the first one on the planet to have a built JUMBO Sherman .

Mark this day on the calendar gentlemen !!!

Yes the planet

:pirate:

Preacher13

Officer X
Jul 16, 2014
Center Moriches, NY
www.instagram.com
Sounds pretty awesome when you put it like that, Pickelhaube! No one else has built theirs yet?

And thanks Vietvision, azslogan and Maritime96. I'll post the fully accessorized tank in some cool outdoor pics when I finally finish it completely.

Also, Pickel, I had a question (reference pic below):

It that flip-up support for the main gun supposed to go around the gun or it it supposed to have just the tips holding it up? I think my other 1:18 Shermans have it so the gun fits right in there. Need to know if I should be opening it up a bit.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Man it looks sweet !!

You are the first one on the planet to have a 1/18th scale Sherman with duckbill tracks .

Add to that the first one on the planet to have a built JUMBO Sherman .

Mark this day on the calendar gentlemen !!!

Yes the planet

:pirate:

Last edited:

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
the pincher thing is called a travel lock. The cannon tube was lowered into the jaws with a pronounce downward tilt to the tube.

When in combat the travel lock laid back against the glacias and the turret was free to turn.

SR_501

Walfisch.
Mar 14, 2011
Jumbo looks great! I think i am going to hold out but, after seeing yours preacher all done up.. It may be hard to pass up. Hopefully pickle will make an Easy eight kit.. That's my kinda Sherman.

Preacher13

Officer X
Jul 16, 2014
Center Moriches, NY
www.instagram.com
Thanks for the info, Pickel.

Thanks for the kind words, SR_501. The kit wasn't too hard to build either, if that is any part of your reservation. I'd say the most annoying thing was cleaning up the duck bill tracks, and I even used some shortcuts, so it wasn't quite as painstaking as Pickel's instructions demand.