Krylon Fusion and figures

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I've heard K mention using Krylon Fusion to paint figures, but what little experience I've had with using Krylon fusion on toys tells me that some plastics stay somewhat sticky.

I have a few figures I'd like to spray all black, will I have this problem on them if I do? Is there anyway around it? I've covered a few sticky parts with Elmers glue. It's not perfect as it's not completely flexible and it has a tendency to flake off or look slightly discolored.
I've also tried using a sealer, but this doesn't do anything for the sticky areas.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
If you're talking 25th construction... Anything flexible, will remain tacky. Such as the arms, knees, lower legs, head. The only thing that will probably work take the paint well will be the hard torso (both halves) and upper legs.

SR_501

Walfisch.
Mar 14, 2011
If you primer the figure first you should have no trouble on would think. Tamyia Primer is the tits but, any one should do.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Soft plastics on modern Joes will not take to Fusion. I top coated my Viper head with acrylics and it's still tacky.

If you're doing the entire figure black i'd just dye it.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
But won't primer have the same problem? And even if it doesn't, won't that negate the Krylon Fusions ability to fuse?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
You wouldn't use primer AND Fusion. Fusion generally is the primer coat.

SR_501

Walfisch.
Mar 14, 2011
But won't primer have the same problem? And even if it doesn't, won't that negate the Krylon Fusions ability to fuse?

I have not had a problem with primer on the softer plastic, then again I mainly use a high grade primer. I have used cheaper to and have no problems, just takes an extra day or so to finish a project.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
You wouldn't use primer AND Fusion. Fusion generally is the primer coat.

Right, which was going to be my next question.

And I would dye it, but everything that I dye bleeds through reguardless if I use a sealer or not. This bleed through even effects figures that are touching the one that's been dyed! And if I have any paint on top of a dye job, it bleeds through that too. Remember that custom I showed here a few months back, the sci-fi one of the robot looking dude with the robotic skull?

I dyed him black and painted a yellow on top. Now, the yellow has darkened considerably since I first painted it.

SR 501, so if I use Krylon or Rustoleum primer, I should be o.k.? The figures I'm working on are RoC/PoC.

SR_501

Walfisch.
Mar 14, 2011
I have not used Rustolem primer before.. I have used auto primer. I would say thin coats and you should be good to go.

SR_501

Walfisch.
Mar 14, 2011
That sounds right. I used cheap stuff, I was spending the extra one on 40k figures.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Funny thing is i didn't have any tackiness issues with rattle can paint on my AT-ST.