Marauder gun runners

AJWW2

Enlisted
Sep 8, 2011
NY
Hey peoples,

I am going to order my first order from Marauder Gun Runners soon and I need t know what kind of paints/brushes/primers I should use to paint and detail the guns. Any advice would be good.
Thanks,

AJ

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Any paint you'd use on a figure would work fine, as are all preparatory procedures (washing the parts, et cetera).

So stick with acrylic paints, though I've done some gnarly weapon repaints with Krylon Fusion spray paints.

AJWW2

Enlisted
Sep 8, 2011
NY
Any paint you'd use on a figure would work fine, as are all preparatory procedures (washing the parts, et cetera).

So stick with acrylic paints, though I've done some gnarly weapon repaints with Krylon Fusion spray paints.

thanks, but I am really just starting out, so what kind of paint do you use on figs? I also know nothing about washing or anything else. please help

AJ

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Acrylics are water-soluble paints. Easy to work with and clean up, the trade off is they aren't exactly durable. Keep in mind NOTHING you can buy is gonna work like the paints the factory uses.

The reason you want to stay away from enamels is they have the tendency to never dry completely. They'll always have a stickiness to them. Bottles will generally be clearly marked as to what type a paint it is.

Back to acrylics, what kind you get is up to you. Some fellas here swear by Citadel (generally only gonna find those in a gaming or proper hobby store) and/or Tamiya (likewise) Testors Model Master tends to be a little more available, but you may find the available color pallet limited.

Personally I just use the cheap Walmart stuff. Lots of folks hate them, as they take a little bit of work to to use effectively. The other stuff is more expensive, but a bit more forgiving.

I'd go down to Wally and grab a few of those and some cheap brushes and do some practice first.

AJWW2

Enlisted
Sep 8, 2011
NY
Acrylics are water-soluble paints. Easy to work with and clean up, the trade off is they aren't exactly durable. Keep in mind NOTHING you can buy is gonna work like the paints the factory uses.

The reason you want to stay away from enamels is they have the tendency to never dry completely. They'll always have a stickiness to them. Bottles will generally be clearly marked as to what type a paint it is.

Back to acrylics, what kind you get is up to you. Some fellas here swear by Citadel (generally only gonna find those in a gaming or proper hobby store) and/or Tamiya (likewise) Testors Model Master tends to be a little more available, but you may find the available color pallet limited.

Personally I just use the cheap Walmart stuff. Lots of folks hate them, as they take a little bit of work to to use effectively. The other stuff is more expensive, but a bit more forgiving.

I'd go down to Wally and grab a few of those and some cheap brushes and do some practice first.

Thanks, I will follow your advice

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
I'm with KT. I use the cheap Wally stuff and have had no issues with it ever. I've used some of the expensive stuff and don't like the results.

It is all a personal preference of course so feel free to experiment.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
thanks, but I am really just starting out, so what kind of paint do you use on figs? I also know nothing about washing or anything else. please help

AJ

You definately want to learn drybrushing http://www.how-to-paint-miniatures.com/miniature_painting_drybrushing.html . what that is is dip your brush into the paint, wipe almost all off onto a napkin and than gently brush over and over on the part you want. you will notice a little bit of paint rubs off onto the raised surfaces with each stroke, but not in the recesses. practice makes perfect on this for how much paint to wipe off the brush.

A wash http://www.how-to-paint-miniatures.com/miniature_advanced_painting_blackwash.html is the opposite, mix your color (usually darker than object) with water untill very thinnned out. Brush wetly over the area, the paint will fill into the recesses but not on the surfaces. some drybrushing may be required when done to clean up some areas.

As always, allow all paints to completely dry before starting next coats.

Last edited:

AJWW2

Enlisted
Sep 8, 2011
NY
You definately want to learn drybrushing http://www.how-to-paint-miniatures.com/miniature_painting_drybrushing.html . what that is is dip your brush into the paint, wipe almost all off onto a napkin and than gently brush over and over on the part you want. you will notice a little bit of paint rubs off onto the raised surfaces with each stroke, but not in the recesses. practice makes perfect on this for how much paint to wipe off the brush.

A wash http://www.how-to-paint-miniatures.com/miniature_advanced_painting_blackwash.html is the opposite, mix your color (usually darker than object) with water untill very thinnned out. Brush wetly over the area, the paint will fill into the recesses but not on the surfaces. some drybrushing may be required when done to clean up some areas.

As always, allow all paints to completely dry before starting next coats.

thanks a lot, Medd. So I wash; then paint; then do details, touch-ups, and dry brushing?

I wold also like to know how to make rust on vehicles (tanks). I'd like to know how to paint the area and make the texture look cracked, bent, corroded, etc. like it has been rusted.

Thanks,

AJ

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
No problem man, I would do details and touch ups last. Kinda work from lowest points to highest points.

Rust is a paint application. i usually use matallic base, dark brown wash, orange drybrush followed by a very fine black drybrush. You could probably sprinkle a fine powder (don't overdo it) into the wash as its drying to give a gritty look. The paint should attach it as it dries. There are probably many different techniques for rust.

AJWW2

Enlisted
Sep 8, 2011
NY
No problem man, I would do details and touch ups last. Kinda work from lowest points to highest points.

Rust is a paint application. i usually use matallic base, dark brown wash, orange drybrush followed by a very fine black drybrush. You could probably sprinkle a fine powder (don't overdo it) into the wash as its drying to give a gritty look. The paint should attach it as it dries. There are probably many different techniques for rust.

thank you, I will follow your advice