Modular Floor and Wall Dio Pieces

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
So I have been working on walls/floors dio pieces to possibly be cast and for sale at SDS. I have a few done. I am looking for a little feedback. If all goes well I would like to do outdoor pieces as well. All the floors are identical on the backside so they can be flipped over and used as well, maybe as concrete sidewalk slabs. The wall is reversable/flippable as well. The non mortar side is set up as a pattern. It doesnt look like it is by looking at one piece but the pattern becomes visible if 2 were side by side. The holding tabs on the wall are centered so the walls can be reversed and flipped. I plan on using that setup for all future walls. I will have a brick one coming (I am not happy with my first attempt) with a different pattern on the reverse side of it as well.

Floors from top left - Indoor hardwood, indoor ceramic, industrial oversized ceramic/concrete, outdoor wood.

Both sides of first wall

size reference

back side of floors

Last edited:

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
I really like the wood floors. They are a home run IMO. I dig the tiles too but would almost be leaning towards either a slightly smaller tile (probably a pain) and possibly a sidewalk design. I could see a sidewalk get used more especially with a wall being offered.

The wall brick may need to go down 2-3MM I'm thinking. They seem a hair big depending on what type they are supposed to be. I'm going off of they are cinder blocks. Either way, they do all look nice and would probably be a fairly desired item for someone like myself who is pretty lazy when it comes to building stuff like that. I'm curious what the price point may be on one of them once cast.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
I was thinking the backsides of the tiles could be concrete sidewalk. I placed the wrong link in pics up above showing it. Its fixed now. Last pic shows what they look like side by side. You are definately right in that the Cinder Blocks are slightly large. I did do this only to make them sit right inside the outline I made for the wall. I didnt want a block to be shorter than the others (or oddly cut) where the walls meet.
For the smaller ceramic tiles, maybe I can half each one. That would make them about the size of a figures foot which would be close to an accurate scale.

I have no idea of pricepoint. that will be entirely up to Dave. I tried to make them thin so they use as little plastic as possible. All about 1/4 inch or less thick.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
If you could make the backside another type of design like the sidewalk that would really increase the desirability of them I bet. Figure you are getting two things in one piece. I bet people would eat that up. Hell, you could almost do the wood floors on both sides and it may increase how many people get since they could switch them up for different scenes. Not sure if that's in the cards but just a thought.

I'm sure he will keep the price very reasonable. He does seem to do that compared to other places I've seen. Figure for more original sculpts he's offering things at what others are just recasting. SDS is by far one of the better operations I've come across. Most reliable too besides Hunter Art Works. They just don't have a huge inventory yet.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
I have yet to dabble in dios yet. So, I haven't had to try and make sure that something is properly to scale as far as bricks, tile, wood plans, etc... go, but they're definitely looking good!