My early steps into real modding...

OddBall64

Jun 29, 2020
Midwest
So until recently, my idea of "Modding", was slapping a bunch of extra stuff onto a tank, weathering it... etc... hanging a German helmet on a Sherman.

Then I got a 3D printer.... I know, I am not special, well maybe special ed... but I am so freaking excited to put my 3D modeling skills (Mediocre) to the task of creating my own mods!

I started with a modest project, turning a Sherman into a Firefly. I was BLOWN AWAY with what I was able to do in a relatively short time! I have learned so much since then, and plan to remake the barrel some day, but for now, I love it!

Firefly posted below.

The next project I had was making Gerry cans, done, though again, I would like to redo them.

Then I decided to add a sidecar to my Indiana Jones German motorcycle... I noticed a hole near the rear wheel. Clearly they designed this to have a side car, but never took it to production. So I started with a 3D model, and after heavily modifying it, I am getting closer to what I want... still a WIP.

Sidecar posted below.

Then I bought a Sherman with a 105 canon on ebay, it arrived in great condition, but the barrel was missing!!! no worries, I crafted one and printed it! I actually like mine better than the original!

Sherman mit 105 posted below.

Recently I started printing PLU, a rubber material, and decided to make the tire parts for my sidecar in rubber! So I had to design the hub from scratch, still have to add details... and then printed rubber tires... they fit!!

So, this is the slippery slope into madness I find myself in, but I sense I am not alone.

Firefly mod 01.jpg

Firefly mod 02.jpg

EZundapp Sidecar WIP early 01.jpg

Zundapp Sidecar Project 02.jpg
Zundapp Sidecar Project 03.jpg

Sherman 105 Mod.jpg

OddBall64

Jun 29, 2020
Midwest
I told my wife if I landed full-time work at the place I was contracting, I was going to treat myself by buying one! After a LOT of research I chose the Ender 5, relatively inexpensive, with high ratings. $350.

I won't lie to you, it was (Is?) a huge learning curve, many failed prints! Luckily filament is cheap, so most failed prints cost pennies... but the things you can do, it pays for itself really.

Maybe someday I will make stuff thats good enough to sell. :D

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I told my wife if I landed full-time work at the place I was contracting, I was going to treat myself by buying one! After a LOT of research I chose the Ender 5, relatively inexpensive, with high ratings. $350.

I won't lie to you, it was (Is?) a huge learning curve, many failed prints! Luckily filament is cheap, so most failed prints cost pennies... but the things you can do, it pays for itself really.

Maybe someday I will make stuff thats good enough to sell. :D

Can you buy designs from places online? So they do the hard work for you?

Reactions: OddBall64

OddBall64

Jun 29, 2020
Midwest
Yes sir, some are quite reasonable and ready to print. Others are reasonable and require a lot of 3D rework... and still others cost, how did you say it? Stupid money!!

I try to find the good reasonable first, then less expensive high quality models and rework them, like my Zundapp sidecar... the model cost $15? And I have to do alot of rework, but to your point, much of the heavy lifting was done.

Mostly it's rescaling things to print well, though I have created some parts from scratch.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I’ve been reading up on 3d printers lately and I think you just pushed me over the ledge. I just can’t decide if a .200 printer like the Toybox will be good enough for me to print 1/16 parts while being really fun for the daughters.

OddBall64

Jun 29, 2020
Midwest
I’ve been reading up on 3d printers lately and I think you just pushed me over the ledge. I just can’t decide if a .200 printer like the Toybox will be good enough for me to print 1/16 parts while being really fun for the daughters.
The Toybox printer looks great for making stuff with your kids! I am shocked to see it can get 10 microns resolution... a bit dubious of that? I see it going for $399, which is more than I paid for my Ender 5. But it is probably pretty automagic in it's UI and running it? The build plate is small, so don't plant to do a tank hull for 1:16, but smaller parts sure.

Reactions: pcsguy88

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Right. The plug in play with the app makes Toybox very appealing for kids, but I thought it was a 200 micron printer that certainly impacts the small detail parts I’d want it for. First thing I would do is print TUSK armor for my 1:16 Abrams.

OddBall64

Jun 29, 2020
Midwest
Yeah for your purpose I would think you would want 20 - 100 microns. That said, better than 100 microns will cost serious $$$. My ender 5, which is 100 microns, is fine for my needs atm. But I plan some day to get a better one. My Ender 5 cost me $350, which I consider very reasonable considering what I can do.