Online Box Store Petition--Put your signature where your mouth is.

GIMark

Enlisted
May 13, 2013
So, as well all know our favorite local retail box stores tend to overlaod on the first wave of a line of product, wave 1 of Retaliation as the latest example, which end up peg warming then to clearnce and future waves are not ordered. And we all see the daily posts/threads complaints about where is our product, why is the newest wave not being carried. Well I had this same discussion with a group of collectors and we fianlly decided to at least take a step towards change, or in the least have our voices heard. Take a minute to sign the petition, let your voice be heard and maybe together we can promote a change in how our Box Store order their prodcut cuz in the end if each wave in a line is an option to buy then they'd see a signifigant decline in items that have to end in clearence aisles!!!!

Put your signature where your mouth is.

https://www.change.org/petitions/box-store-retailers-wal-mart-target-k-mart-toy-r-us-and-hasbro-carry-all-wave-of-gi-joe-action-figures#share

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
And the "tankerization" of the forum continues.

First - do you really think this will even make it to said stores' attention, and will make a difference if it does?

Second, speaking as someone who's worked in retail, they don't order specific waves - a store places an order for x number of cases, and are sent x number of cases. There's no "let's order this wave or that". The problem is that early waves are overproduced, not that they're overordered.

I mean, I guess if it makes you feel better, go for it, but you're not going to have any impact with this.

GIMark

Enlisted
May 13, 2013
And the "tankerization" of the forum continues.

First - do you really think this will even make it to said stores' attention, and will make a difference if it does?

Second, speaking as someone who's worked in retail, they don't order specific waves - a store places an order for x number of cases, and are sent x number of cases. There's no "let's order this wave or that". The problem is that early waves are overproduced, not that they're overordered.

I mean, I guess if it makes you feel better, go for it, but you're not going to have any impact with this.

When I see "tankerization" I tend to think your post more than mine leans towards that. The actual petition is more than just the box stores it also addresses Hasbro, and this was something that we had talked about in a group and figured it was at least worth the try, better than posting board after board of "Hasbro sucks" Or "Target sucks" no? Better to try than to sit on the sidelines telling people they can't make a difference.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
When I see "tankerization" I tend to think your post more than mine leans towards that. The actual petition is more than just the box stores it also addresses Hasbro, and this was something that we had talked about in a group and figured it was at least worth the try, better than posting board after board of "Hasbro sucks" Or "Target sucks" no? Better to try than to sit on the sidelines telling people they can't make a difference.

I can't view the petition at work, but your description in the first post didn't mention Hasbro at all.

In any event, I'd rather sit on the sidelines than tilt at windmills. But good luck to you.

GIMark

Enlisted
May 13, 2013
Well thanks for viewing at least I do appreciate it. And my former post I hope I did not come as combative....

GIMark

Enlisted
May 13, 2013
Let's count red ninjas.

Just trying something different, but thanks for disparaging it with a post like this, am not here to fight anyone just lookign for support, if you choose not to do so I just ask that you don't post things like this. It's a simple step but apperantly it's easier to mock than to sign...

The Ewokhunter

Crazyass Cracker
Mar 14, 2011
thingsatwistedewokwouldsay.blogspot.com
Sad to say, but the petition in it's current wording sounds more like a bunch of grown up whiners and they will ignore it. In order for this to be picked up on anyone's radar, it needs to go viral and covered by news.

This will just become a laughing stock "tonight we look at a change.org petition where grown men have taken to complain about not finding toys"

Even if you get 10k people to sign, it's not enough to warrant those corporations to even flinch. If they do, by some far off odd ball chance in hell, they will have Hasbro ship them more, then when they clog the shelves again, they will point and say "see, we tried to appease you and now we are stuck with all this inventory"

The best thing to do is petition Hasbro directly to sell specific figures via HTS in larger quantities where they never run out, start up a direct line through Hasbro, or do like they did with Star wars, and ship block cases of hot figures.

GIMark

Enlisted
May 13, 2013
Just decided to try a different route, better to attempt something than do nothing is waht my grandfather used to say...

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
I think something you need to keep in mind(if this wasn't mentioned) is that Hasbro has no control on what the stores order, and usually, the stores don't even have control anymore. If the store is allocated a certain amount of figures, the computer will track sales and only send an order once their stock has depleted enough to warrant said order.

In addition, don't take the "disparaging remarks" so seriously. We're here because of toys, so we don't take things too seriously.

GIMark

Enlisted
May 13, 2013
I think something you need to keep in mind(if this wasn't mentioned) is that Hasbro has no control on what the stores order, and usually, the stores don't even have control anymore. If the store is allocated a certain amount of figures, the computer will track sales and only send an order once their stock has depleted enough to warrant said order.

In addition, don't take the "disparaging remarks" so seriously. We're here because of toys, so we don't take things too seriously.

The one thing I addressed to Hasbro was HTS...hell if they alone were better about putting the lines there it'd make a huge difference...freaking POC Duke still there but can't pick up a Retaliation LJ or Colton?

I do appreciate the feedback, most likely nothing happens but if there is a chance...

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Definitely a worthy cause, and I appreciate the attempt. But I too think it is fruitless in the computer ordering world.

Seems to me that the stores only want to carry stuff with a media backing of some sort. At least looks that way in my area. Everything that has a movie or a toon has been on shelves. Everything else has not. My local stores ALL stopped carrying Star Wars regular line after Clone Wars figures hit. I never saw a single Legacy figure in a store, not a one. I saw some vehicles. GI joe was gone from Wally after ROC mishap until Renegades hit, than Joes show up again. Renegades ends, no more joes. New movie hits, Wally has Joes again. Definitely a trend in my area.

If I petioned anything it would be to return a cartoon.

Trying to get Hasbro to directly sell product is a great idea though.

edit- I lie, I saw the Wally exclusive Legacy figures. The orange suited female comes to mind.

Last edited:

GIMark

Enlisted
May 13, 2013
HTS is jsut the crazy part for me, YOU HAVE YOUR OWN STORE! Sell some of your products! lol

Yes this may be fruitless but an attempt is better than simply saying "the line is dead" lol

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
HTS is jsut the crazy part for me, YOU HAVE YOUR OWN STORE! Sell some of your products! lol

Yes this may be fruitless but an attempt is better than simply saying "the line is dead" lol

I don't believe HTS is part of Hasbro directly, I think they are just another store that sells for them and uses their name. Strictly their product though. I could be wrong on this but am pretty sure I am not.

What I can't stand is the HTS warehouses are within an hour of me but they have no walk-in store.

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
HTS sells only Hasbro products, it's advertised on the corporate website as the place to buy Hasbro Toys, then for all intents and purposes, it IS Hasbro.

I have to admit though, I do believe Hasbro is reading some of these sites...how many times over the past couple of years has it been stated (I know I say it anytime we get on this topic) that HTS needs to offer pre-orders for single figures, and even if it takes a few weeks / a month to get the figures at least we could order as much as we wanted and they wouldn't get stuck with the figs no one wanted - looking at you PoC Duke and Arctic Destro...

That's what we've seen happen in the past week or two with the 3.5 figs.

Someone is reading our ideas and probably getting a nice fat bonus check for them.

Last edited:

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011

I imagine there's agreements in place that keeps HTS from competing with the box stores. The issue is with Hasbro's managing of production (again)

The Ewokhunter

Crazyass Cracker
Mar 14, 2011
You know, searching, comparing, contrasting, I believe if Hasbro were to listen to it's fans and make and release the Flagg again, it will sell. they could easily produce limited quantities like they did with the AT-AT and people will scarf them up.

Even at a $250 price point, it will sell out. Why? cause if they claim it's limited quantities, scalpers won't want to pass it up. Compare with the SDCC Jetfire, people are paying near $200 for it. All it is, is a jeep and skystriker yet they are paying out the ass.

"Parents won't buy it" bullshit. LEGO sets sell even at $300 sets. there are some money making parents out there that would love little johnny to have that big fucker.

They could also make a deal with TRU to sell a throwback version of it, selling even more to collectors.

but yet, they do not. They said for a long time, they will not make a skystriker since the mold was destroyed, yet they built another.

If they REALLY wanted to, they could make it SDCC exclusive. would be a bitch for those who want to buy multiples and ship/sell, but that would give people a chance to buy one.

of course this is all a pipe dream just like getting Hasbro to listen to us on figure allotment.

The Ewokhunter

Crazyass Cracker
Mar 14, 2011
I imagine there's agreements in place that keeps HTS from competing with the box stores. The issue is with Hasbro's managing of production (again)

Which is where they screw up. Lego has stores out there as well as a website. they offer all sets, including free shipping. The stores are priced just around walmart's price and cheaper than TRU yet they are in the proximity of those stores and you don't see those stores calling for unjust business practice.

BEAM

Avoids Responsibility
Apr 12, 2013
Rhode Island
I'm convinced the distribution system will never change because Hasbro doesn't want it to change. Corporate suits would have to make changes to a system that to them works fine. All the talk of Hasbro reps reading the boards and possibly altering their methods because of our bitching is absurd.

The way we get our toys is here to stay be it brick and mortar or online. Target and Walmart don't value the toy section. They want your ass in there buying groceries, kitchen appliances and bathroom shit. Toys are an after thought ... another item Mary Q. Public can grab for little Johnny's birthday while she's shopping for the next cookout.

The best thing anyone can do it pre-order. Best of luck on your petition but I've gotten everything I need with my computer rather than my car.

Just my $.02

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
The solution is easy IMO.

Stop making the first wave or two shitty. It's easy. Just look at the quality of the first 2 waves and then look at the quality of wave 3 and 4. It's fucking bullshit.

Same with the avengers line a few years ago. Wave 1 and 2 were loaded with Thor, Iron Man etc. Spread that shit out and put the gems in the first waves like Black Widow, Fury, and movie hawkeye.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I feel like they make the first few waves utter crap because they know they'll move product no matter what it is. It's a movie tie-in, so people will buy it even if it's crap. Look at the IM3 shit, I woudn't say it's selling GOOD, but it did sell, and that was barely one step above a MOC dog turd.

Minimal investment with some guaranteed sales = shitty waves. If those end up doing OK or better than projected, they release the rest of the stuff (which is better) to keep things moving.