Opinion on posing figures

FSB

Enlisted
Jan 27, 2015
Hey all
I don't know If you guys got the same problems but the bbi figures hands are kinda hard to pose with
They ( the hands ) makes your figure posing looks unrealistic like they are holding their weapon in front of their face and look at it rather aiming down sight
Is there a solution to this or is it just natural ?
Thanks
FSB

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
You're gonna have to swap out hands. The Bbi hands come from the ARAH school of hand design.

Digler

Officer
Officer Club
Nov 28, 2012
Vancouver,BC Canada
www.facebook.com
so is anybody going to give me a "hand" ?

Ha ha....:) The thing with figs and posing is 'what are you trying to do?' and ' how to pose with limited articulation'...

..most of us want realism and posing is a big part of it. You need to learn to cut them up and replace parts and not be scared to do it. I can't remember but I think Daremo has casted hands with those swivel wrists that are loved so. Give him a shout and learn how to replace the hands.....but don't stop there...look at my figs in my posts the latest figs can pose extreamly well...Obi has a tutorial on how to cut some plastic off the body joints and rubbing spots to get another 20-30% of articulation. You can achieve decent posing with these mods....it just takes some work. :)

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
so is anybody going to give me a "hand" ?

If you're looking for donor hands, the Star Wars 3.75" Black series Dagobah Luke has a couple of sets and is currently available.

Preacher13

Officer X
Jul 16, 2014
Center Moriches, NY
www.instagram.com
The Unimax Bravo team WWII Nazis and US guys come with extra hands. I just added one to a Salah Indy fig I got in a lot but had been missing his right hand. Looks great and swivels! I had first considered giving him a third world prosthetic.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
If you're gonna switch them you might as well get a set of hinges, as just a swivel isn't gonna get the job done.

FSB

Enlisted
Jan 27, 2015
i am buying them of course ,just added the bad pun so that its....punny ! by the way replacing hands sound difficult ! @.@ some tips and tricks on painting weapons also ? black is just...black its boring i would probably paint my figure M4 purple zebra camo :D ! what about marauder ? can i buy their accessories cut off the joint part then glue them on to my Bbi weapons ? would model kit glue work ?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Hand swapping generally isn't a hassle. Just heat up the arms (I use a hairdryer, some use hot/boiling water) of the figures and pull the hands out. Now, you may have to do some trimming on the peg length, but generally that's the only issue I've had using Joe/Hasbro hands on other companies' arms.

As to painting guns, try flat black Testors Model Master (acrylic) and then brushing on graphite (ground up pencil lead) to the "metal" surfaces.. If the accessories scale/look correct sure you can glue them on to Bbi weapons.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Xoc and Darth Dre are good at chopping and rebuilding weapons. Maybe ask what glue they use, The few I have done in the past I just used crazy glue. I use crzy glue for most my stuff. Regular model glue is shit and takes forever to dry. Just like paint, it is worth spending the extra dollars to get a good glue.

Just follow what kT said about swapping parts and you will be fine. Don't put part in water while you are boiling it, wait til after water is removed from heat and dip figure part for 30 secs to a minute. It will pop off easier than you ever imagined. When putting new hands/parts in, only heat up the part with the hole, not the pegged part. It will than pop right back in. Works for hands, heads, lower arms, legs at knees when pegged in, feet. Also allows you to push pins out of double hinged joints (Joe knees) so you can swap them out.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I use the Loctite stuff myself. Has a little bit of flex to generally keeps it from all coming apart.

FSB

Enlisted
Jan 27, 2015
ok simple enough boil water-wait until it it is not boiling but still hot-dip the part in ~30 sec-take out the old hands-dip it in again put in new hands-and wait for it to cool down easy enough (correct me if i am wrong) kinda like modelling !

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
More or less correct.

As an aside, I got my hands on the Luke I mentioned, and I failed to take into account the current discrepancies in scale. I now know his hands probably won't work for male figures. The overall size, coupled with the thinness of the pegs makes using them more difficult.

They WILL work on females, who have been desperately needing hinged wrists, as well as figures that don't have articulated wrists to begin with and where drilling holes will be necessary.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Glad it was helpful. Now I'm pondering where to use my Luke's hands.