Outdoor wargaming with 1/18 troops

Forper

Enlisted
Oct 25, 2016
Hi, I had GI Joes growing up the in '80s and never really grew out of em. Back then it was my dream to have more realistic guys. I even customised a lot of guys to desert ops after Desert Storm. I remember hating Shockwave's blue urban camo scheme!

Anyway it seems my dreams in the '80s have come true, realistic military guys now exist..

By the early 90s as I got older it was also my dream to apply rules and tactics to outdoor games back then. Go to parks and outdoor areas and play with dice and rulers in the dirt and mud. But my friends grew up and I had other priorities like failing to get laid! haha.

At times I've toyed with the idea of 1/6 wargames and seen one guy attempt it on The Miniatures Page. However the figures are just too expensive for my close-to-minimum wage and the risk of losing accessories too great.

So now I'm almost 40 and have discovered this new world on "the internet" and I want to collect a force of early '90s US Marines, customise them to my aesthetic tastes and go out to a park on the weekend with like minded people, a simple set of rules, maybe a box to roll dice in and some tape measures and fight it out with their force. True line of sight, realistic ranges, reasonably realistic tactics should actually work?

I plan on reading a lot of threads here on customising before I commit to figures and accessories. The "look" of my force is very important to me and I want to get it right.

I've searched everyhwere but can't find any threads on outdoor wargaming with rules and 1/18th figures. If anyone knows of any I'd really appreciate a link in the right direction.

Thanks guys!

Flint

You have just been Sarged
Feb 20, 2012
South Central Wisconsin
Get ahold of the Star Wars Revised Core Rule Book by Wizards of the Coast, it has rules for using action figures in rpg games. Also try finding the booklet from the Star Wars Geonosis playset from 2002, it has rules for some kind of action figure based game.

Forper

Enlisted
Oct 25, 2016
Thanks for your replies.

Yeah no one seems to do it, even on the internet, but to me it's the adult evolution of playing with Joes in the backyard.

Thanks Flint. I will check out those Star Wars toy rules. There are a couple of self published sets of rules floating around on blogs for action figures too.

Thanks pcsguy!

Forper

Enlisted
Oct 25, 2016
Hi there

Maybe you could adapt from the Games Workshop games (Warhammer and Warhammer 40K etc ... ) as it is really complete

Yeah maybe, I used to play that when I was a teenager in the 90s but it doesn't really have a realistic feel to it to me.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The Shadowrun Duels figures had a game component that may be adapted.

I really think Flames of War, or maybe Dust Warfare, might be adapted to what you're trying to do.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
The cheapest figures you can get are the ones that come with the PTE vehicles and playsets found at Big Lots (act now though, they only stock this stuff in the first few months leading up to Christmas!). Their detail and articulation aren't the best, and you have to buy a vehicle or playset first, but overall it's cheaper.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The cheapest figures you can get are the ones that come with the PTE vehicles and playsets found at Big Lots (act now though, they only stock this stuff in the first few months leading up to Christmas!). Their detail and articulation aren't the best, and you have to buy a vehicle or playset first, but overall it's cheaper.

They have figure packs this year.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
Shame Shame Shame how could we let this thread go on without mentioning Hero Quest :)

The site did a Custom Con a few years back. The first game was a fantasy hero game play, but I believe they did a military version the next year. Below are some pictures. I'm sure if you search Hero Quest there are more in the archives.

I know they build a maze for it. But the concept could easily be done with military figures.

http://www.fighting118th.com/forum/everything-customs/7591-2014-east-coast-custom-con-11.html

Forper

Enlisted
Oct 25, 2016
The Shadowrun Duels figures had a game component that may be adapted.

I really think Flames of War, or maybe Dust Warfare, might be adapted to what you're trying to do.

Thanks but I'm not looking at such large units. I'm thinking tactical, squad level engagements.

Forper

Enlisted
Oct 25, 2016

Thanks. I'm thinking lower numbers of guys to start with but willing to spend a little more per guy. Just to get the right look. I started a thread in the Silk Cul de Sac with a wishlist.

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
Maybe take a look at Hiya OurWar 101st Airborne figues. Modern US grunts in ACU with removable rubber vests.

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
Hero Quest was a blast. I was really looking forward to playing the modern warfare game that obi and daremo were working on at the second Custom Con but that fell theough

Forper

Enlisted
Oct 25, 2016
Maybe take a look at Hiya OurWar 101st Airborne figues. Modern US grunts in ACU with removable rubber vests.

Those are really cool but if possible I want to make early 90s guys, ALICE gear and Kevlar, no kneepads...night camo parkas...hmmm

Forper

Enlisted
Oct 25, 2016
G.I.JAC's Fireteam rules might be a good start. More info here.

Thanks yeah I've seen those before but didn't have the link handy. Yeah I think I'll use something simple like that. Lots of wilderness around where I live. Hopefully be battling in a few months once i build up my force and find someone else in my area who never grew up..

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Those are really cool but if possible I want to make early 90s guys, ALICE gear and Kevlar, no kneepads...night camo parkas...hmmm

The knee pads come off. Rise of Cobra Desert Duke for the parka, a prayer to the customization gods to replicate Desert Night Camouflage pattern in 1:18.

Forper

Enlisted
Oct 25, 2016
Very cool suggestions guys. Even the ACUs bother me a little tho. Too many pockets, not the right bagginess for BDU simulation?

I guess when you get down to it night camo is basically just a dark green grid with blobs. Hmmm, I'd like to take the challenge... not sure if I'm up to it.

Just checked out those Marauder guys. Originally I think they sold webbing harnesses and pouches separately! But they seem all sold out on the site : (

Forper

Enlisted
Oct 25, 2016
Thanks! I was looking at the wrong section - "web belts and bandoliers" - nothing there..this is more like it. Really nice stuff. Just not crazy about the Marauder bodies with the sci fi boots, knee pads and gauntlets (?). I'm thinking marauder accessories and other bodies now..

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Very cool suggestions guys. Even the ACUs bother me a little tho. Too many pockets, not the right bagginess for BDU simulation?
I guess you can browse around here and see if you can find something useful.

Home - SSHQ Database - 1:18 Scale

I guess when you get down to it night camo is basically just a dark green grid with blobs. Hmmm, I'd like to take the challenge... not sure if I'm up to it.

A very fine grid with blobs. I'd sooner tackle a telnyashka than NDC. :panic:

Forper

Enlisted
Oct 25, 2016
I went down to the only toystore in Canberra Australia that stocks anything decent. Have a good range of "World Peacekeepers". The vehicles and accessories are amazing. 1/18 blackhawk for AUD$69? 1/18 really decent looking MUTT for $20?? Pretty amazing value. The actual guys look goofy though. From their oversized boots to the dumb looks on their dumb faces.

I think I'm going to have to go back to considering 1/6 stuff for this whole project...

The cost is low but the challenges of customising 1/18 to my tastes might be too great.

will just have to build up a 1/6th force very slowly due to the cost. But hey in the end I think I'll be happier. Thanks for all your replies and info though.

Since I'll be playing outdoors aswell the size of the play area is effectively unlimited so no worries with bigger scales for game area. Those normal sized trees can just be giant Sequoia too then...

Last edited:

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
PTE also sells 1/6 figures. They don't cost that much considering what they are. I recently got one that was a U.N. guy armed with a FAMAS for about $10 USD. Normally they're more like $13

Last edited:

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
It's not public, it's Australia, they got a whole desert to mess around in so long as the snakes, spiders, and natives don't show up.