Restoring old Kenner figures?

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
So, as most of you probably don't remember, I'm the guy who still has all his old Kenner Jurassic Park figures from the 90's. Well, most of them are fine, but one in particular has a really loose arm. Unlike vintage G.I. Joes the old Kenner figures don't have a screw in the back, and only have 5 POA. I was thinking however, that maybe I could take him apart some how, and some work on the arms and legs. I have used a bench vice to break a couple modern joes apart, so I'm wondering if I could use the same tactic. Any thoughts?

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Or use Elmers school glue. Same effect without the danger of fusing the joint. You might have to use the back side of an exacto blade to work the glue down into the joint.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
I don't open them up to do it. I just put small amounts of either elmers glue or clearcoat behind the joint. and spin it slowly. I heat figure up. Slightly pry the arm out some, put glue in, and rotate arm till it dries. Repeat if necessary.

If absolutely needed, I use a blade to open vintage Star Wars torsos. I think a vice may break them. They don't have the type of arm peg to act as a wedge.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I wouldn't use a vice on vintage figures (are we talking about 70's/80's vintage here?).

With their age the plastic may be brittle...you'd end up with vintage plastic shrapnel.