RIT Dye Questions

Homer

Μολών λαβέ
Sep 2, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Let me start off by saying have absolutely NO artistic skills whatsoever. Nor am I overly creative. So painting is unquestionably out of the picture for me, as I do not have the resources nor patience to practice and continuously mess up figures.

I've heard of RIT dying figures. Pardon my ignorance, but this, in laymen's theory, seems easier and far more fool proof for someone with my skill set (or lack thereof).

So my goal: I want a Stinger Driver, ME style, using the 30th trooper mold. Like, I want one in a totally unhealthy way.

You guys are the best I've seen at customizing, so please educate me.

Is it even possible to dye a blue figure grey, a darker color to a lighter color?
If so, can someone give me a tutorial, tips, tricks, etc?
Does dying a figure give it more playability over paint, as far as paint rub?

Or am I just shit out of luck and need to learn how to paint?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
You cannot go dark-to-light. It just will not happen. In this situation you're gonna have to paint.

Now, you can go the traditional route, or the Fusion route. In my experience Krylon Fusion will eventually cure on soft plastic like those in the arms and legs of Joes, but you're looking at potentially a 6+ month wait.

However, it should be more durable than any acrylic paint job you do to it.

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
You aren't going to be able to dye something a lighter color. You can go from light to dark, but not back.

I think there's a tutorial on here somewhere… Fogger did one as I recall.

A dyed figure won't have joint rub- it's changing the color of the plastic permanently.

For that specific project- dark blue to light grey, it won't work. Best bet is to break out the paints.

unclassified

THE AYATROLLA KHOMEINI
Jan 31, 2012
the garden state of eden
yeah, paint it. you may also try taking a exacto and cutting out grey shoulder joints and cutting the troopers out and replacing the joints with the grey ones. just glue the hinge back to the arm, and then paint the arm. that would be the easiest and no paint rub.

Homer

Μολών λαβέ
Sep 2, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Thanks a lot for this, guys. I appreciate the quick response. I was afraid this was going to be the answer, but thought I'd ask anyways.

Cutting and gluing a figure is certainly out of the question. Unless you guys wanted to laugh your asses off at the shit figure I would be posting pictures of afterwards.

Fusion may be an option, I could possibly deal with spray paints.

Any recommendations as to how to keep the cobra sigil as in tact as possible during painting? How many spray paint coats would you recommend?

unclassified

THE AYATROLLA KHOMEINI
Jan 31, 2012
the garden state of eden
DUDE, TAKE A JOE RIGHT NOW AND LOOK AT IT. OK, SEE THE HARD PLASTIC RING ON THE SHOULDER? YOU SLICE BETWEEN THE HARD RING AND THE SOFT PLASTIC ARM, INSIDE THE RING IS A PEG THAT CONNECTS BOTH SIDES OF THE SOFT PLASTIC ARM. PULL THE RING OUT. DO THE SAME ON A GREY ARM, YOU PUT THE RING BACK ON THE PEG, TAKE CRAZY GLUE AND DAB THE END OF THE PEG AND PUSH THE SIDE OF THE ARM BACK. JUST MOVE THE RING BACK AND FORTH SO IT DONT GET GLUED IN PLACE. IT'S SO SIMPLE. oh shit, haha i had caps on, i type looking down, lol. sorry.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Thanks a lot for this, guys. I appreciate the quick response. I was afraid this was going to be the answer, but thought I'd ask anyways.

Cutting and gluing a figure is certainly out of the question. Unless you guys wanted to laugh your asses off at the shit figure I would be posting pictures of afterwards.

Fusion may be an option, I could possibly deal with spray paints.

Any recommendations as to how to keep the cobra sigil as in tact as possible during painting? How many spray paint coats would you recommend?

Mask the sigils with elmers glue, or you could go buy purpose-made liquid masking agent.

I left the pockets on my OD STs grey for contrast. Do several light (and this can not be stressed enough) coats. Fusion only needs about 30 seconds of tack time before you can do another layer. Take your time.

And wipe the figure parts down with alcohol before you paint to get all the skin oils and such off of it.

Homer

Μολών λαβέ
Sep 2, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Mask the sigils with elmers glue, or you could go buy purpose-made liquid masking agent.

I left the pockets on my OD STs grey for contrast. Do several light (and this can not be stressed enough) coats. Fusion only needs about 30 seconds of tack time before you can do another layer. Take your time.

And wipe the figure parts down with alcohol before you paint to get all the skin oils and such off of it.

Points taken, thanks KT.

Would rubber cement work? I also Googled liquid masking agents and came up with results all across the board. Are there any brands that are more superior than others?

unclassified

THE AYATROLLA KHOMEINI
Jan 31, 2012
the garden state of eden
masking the cobra emlem will be hard. rubber cement would most likely work well for masking, but how the hell you gonna mask a symbol with that? better off getting some cobra stickers or ask someone here how to do water slides.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I use white glue exclusively because it's cheap, comes off when I want it to and you can get it anywhere.

If you're masking off the small sigils prepare yourself to be working with a toothpick and patience.

Though I imagine a paint brush would work, too.

unclassified

THE AYATROLLA KHOMEINI
Jan 31, 2012
the garden state of eden
here you go bro.. you owe me for my time spent. it's like a scalper on ebay, i'm charging you for the material, the gas and the time to go out and buy this toy so you dont have to waste your time going to the store looking for the toy i just bought that you wanted just so i can sell it to you and then make it like you asked me to do it. so you owe me, man. i want gas money, time wasted money, tax money, i want it all just cus i did something for you that you didnt ask and could of did it yourself if i didnt go out of my way to do it for you and charge you. enjoy..

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-j...ulder-swivels-25th-joes-modern-star-wars.html

Homer

Μολών λαβέ
Sep 2, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Will a pack of zigzags and a rimjob suffice? You dirty scalper you.

And I forgot how small that sigil is. That does not agree with my shaky hands. But at least white glue is not paint, so if I mess up I can keep on redoing it until I am satisfied with no permanent issues.

Thanks a lot guys, you've been incredibly helpful!

unclassified

THE AYATROLLA KHOMEINI
Jan 31, 2012
the garden state of eden
check out cobrasticker.com. they sell lil cobra stickers. that, and switching the shoulder joints with a city strike snake eyes or tru or resolute fire fly would work on that part. you would just have to use some paint for the arms. i wouldnt recomend spraying a figure, man. i would just get some acrylic model masters and some good brushes from michaels and go to town and have fun.

Homer

Μολών λαβέ
Sep 2, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Maybe I'll practice a bit of painting in a crap figure before I start.

Now that you mention ROC Firefly, I wonder if the color would be close enough to do a simple part swap with a trooper to build a Stinger driver? Use the Firefly body with a Resolute trooper head, Stinger driver web gear, and just simply paint the helmet? The grey may be too dark though.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011

Now that you mention ROC Firefly, I wonder if the color would be close enough to do a simple part swap with a trooper to build a Stinger driver? Use the Firefly body with a Resolute trooper head, Stinger driver web gear, and just simply paint the helmet? The grey may be too dark though.

Why you wanna give him old-faishoned LCE gear? Give him an LBV/tac vest.

unclassified

THE AYATROLLA KHOMEINI
Jan 31, 2012
the garden state of eden

when that figure came out, i said , wow, this is a easy resolute stinger driver figure. just need the web gear and paint the helmet. but i never bought into the resolute stuff so i never did it. i was gonna mention it earlier, but you wanted a poc stinger driver.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Shock Trooper and Pit Commando immediately come to mind.

Homer

Μολών λαβέ
Sep 2, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Oh hell yeah, I have plenty of shock troopers. Thanks dude!

....and I just saw how much a ROC TRU Firefly is going for on ebay. Holy shit. Now I'm regretting leaving that bitch hanging on the pegs so many times so many years ago.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I've tried so many techniques on so many figures trying to change color, re-color, and I've had just as many results that I can't pin-point any one thing as being effective.
Too many variables.

As was said before, Fogger and Midget (I believe) have a technique for RIT dying figures using acetone and a crock pot that seems to work. I'd give this a try myself but I don't want to buy a crock pot for this sole purpose. The acetone is key, it helps "etch" the color into the plastic it seems.

Here's what I would suggest that would possibly make for the easiest transition.
Take a Sharpie to the joints.
Use Krylon black camo fusion on the other parts.
Use the dry-brush technique to get the grey you want. You will have to build it up to get the coverage you want.

The only draw-backs to this, Sharpie/permanent marker has a tendency to bleed through any paint you put over it. But then again, the same thing can happen with RIT dyed parts.
If you can even get RIT to dye the part in question in the first place.

Isn't this encouraging?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I noticed the other day that painted parts on my dyed RoC Cover Girl are started to fade. Probably nothing to be done about that.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
If I could find a green Sharpie that matched the green of her BDUs I would give it the ol' college try.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Ahhh, that could be a problem. Although Sharpie has expanded it's selection of colors.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I've got a big pack, I just don't believe any are dark enough.