Super cobura dissapointment

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
21st Century made the AH-1W.

I'm the only one you'll find that will openly admit that the Super Cobra isn't worth any more than 25% over retail.

In the name of full disclosure I will say that mine was second-hand and missing some pretty vital kit, BUT upon deep reflection I stand by my assessment that I'd be unhappy with it had it been whole.

It suffers from the worst of all 21st-centric maladies: That shitty, brittle plastic they used. Plenty of fragile parts to break on this one, plus ones that shouldn't.

The blades are really big (as they are IRL), so they droop. Realistic, but it looks like shit when "in-flight" which is how I display my rotary wing stuff. If you can get one without flaccid blades you're gonna be happier with it.

They really should have made the rotor mast, head and blades out of metal, or at least have made the blades lighter.

Most will make a pretty false claim that it's more detailed than Bbi's birds, but it's really not. Sure, it's got more opening panels, but that's just more shit to break off and lose.

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
KT is the exception, even though he makes valid points. It is a very nice bird, but hands down no comparison to the BBI birds. I love mine.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
With Bbi I know that if something happens and they take a "autorotation" into the floor that all I'm gonna have to do is put the parts back on, not fix or glue them.

Wild weasel

needs killer whale parts!
Jun 9, 2011
I own all the large 1/18 helos, and this is my favorite for display, it has the most well done paint job of them all in my opinion(which doesn't count for a whole lot, but whateva ;))

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
21st Century made the AH-1W.

I'm the only one you'll find that will openly admit that the Super Cobra isn't worth any more than 25% over retail.

In the name of full disclosure I will say that mine was second-hand and missing some pretty vital kit, BUT upon deep reflection I stand by my assessment that I'd be unhappy with it had it been whole.

It suffers from the worst of all 21st-centric maladies: That shitty, brittle plastic they used. Plenty of fragile parts to break on this one, plus ones that shouldn't.

The blades are really big (as they are IRL), so they droop. Realistic, but it looks like shit when "in-flight" which is how I display my rotary wing stuff. If you can get one without flaccid blades you're gonna be happier with it.

They really should have made the rotor mast, head and blades out of metal, or at least have made the blades lighter.

Most will make a pretty false claim that it's more detailed than Bbi's birds, but it's really not. Sure, it's got more opening panels, but that's just more shit to break off and lose.

I would agree that it's definitely not worth more than a BBI bird of similar size, mainly because its "pilot" is a joke and you have to find some BBI pilots to fly it anyway. And the detail is pretty much equal. Strange though, for me the SC blades are a whole lot less droopy than my BBI Black Hawk ones were. I don't have the problem with my BBI Apache though. All in all 21st AH-1W = BBI AH-64A, IMO.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
They just tossed in their CIA operative figure :rolleyes:

Guess they had no plans on more modern helicopters so saw no point in making a modern pilot figure.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I like my Cobras.. the Marine Camo one was forced into a dirt-nap by a feline, so that's sad.

The Snake one is sitting proudly as my only helo on display. I don't have any rotor droop issues, way less than the Apache and Blackhawk for sure.

But they are fragile lithe little creatures. Would love an AH-1Z though.