UH-1 WIP.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
So here's a progress shot. I finally decided to do the black tiger stripes so this is gonna start moving forward again. I'll probably do a band around the boom, and was thinking of painting the tips of the horizontal stabs red. I reckon nose art will go on just before the last antenna lines so it can get hung without breaking them off.

Only real construction bits that need to happen are some sta-bar weights (I think I'm gonna leave off the missing bits in the rotor system) and to run the antenna down the tail boom.

I reckon TOW pods will go on it eventually, so I may do the sight for those one day.

Not accurate by anymeans, but I took this as the chance to put all the odd little features I found aesthetically pleasing on one bird.

Before (Yes, i stoleded yer pic, derek!):

After (thus far):

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Or JSI could get off their hands and do a new one. Good time to add some new armaments packages.

thelegoguy

Enlisted
Mar 16, 2011
That's pretty slick KT.
I wish they would release a Yankee. I suppose with some incredible customizing it could happen but I would be reluctant at the prices that thing goes for.

Great job!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
In all honesty I don't think it's possible. I think one owuld be better served just starting from scratch to do a Yankee model.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'm not gonna have the normal tail boom markings. I'm leaving the tail as-is, but I'll do a couple of black stripes into the blue section.

It'll look good striped up, but I do believe it needs something extra.

The actual tiger striped Huey had a number of yellow stips on the fuselage, may replicate those.

Last edited:

derek_001

Banned
Dec 12, 2011
Cordell, Oklahoma
hell id leave it like that i love the original vietnam color i think tiger stripes should stay (competition only) but thats just my 2sence....
or atleast if you do stripes use brown...

Attachments

• $(KGrHqZ,!jYE651HfCeDBO60k41jW!~~60_3.JPG
    $(KGrHqZ,!jYE651HfCeDBO60k41jW!~~60_3.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
There was at least one Huey in Vietnam to sport tiger stripes, and I've got to solid OD Hueys and wnat to chang it up a bit.

Wild weasel

needs killer whale parts!
Jun 9, 2011
lookin great! I wouldn't do tiger stripes as my 1st choice, but maybe that'll change once shes done, I'm looking forward to the finished product

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Eh, I'm the one that has to live with it. I like 'em.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Not to my knowledge. I think Hueys used internal aux fuel bladders.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, rds. I've got her christened "Dixie 2", no art on the nose.

Not sure if I want to do a Confederate battle flag or just leave it as-is.

Really can't paint stars at this scale so I'm thinking of moving on to final touches.

rds13601

A Waste of Space!!!!
Aug 2, 2011
Biggest dump on earth
Not every Huey in Nam had the basic olive drab paint scheme. A special unit known as the Green Hornets; part of the USAF Special Operation Wing pararescue effort for downed pilots had some interesting combinations. Not only did they use Hueys; but Jolly Green Giants and later on the Ch-53. Here is the link of the images of this unit. https://www.google.com/search?q=gre...qf.,cf.osb&fp=fc1837a247ae2ce&biw=992&bih=539

derek_001

Banned
Dec 12, 2011
Cordell, Oklahoma
Not every Huey in Nam had the basic olive drab paint scheme. A special unit known as the Green Hornets; part of the USAF Special Operation Wing pararescue effort for downed pilots had some interesting combinations. Not only did they use Hueys; but Jolly Green Giants and later on the Ch-53. Here is the link of the images of this unit. https://www.google.com/search?q=gre...qf.,cf.osb&fp=fc1837a247ae2ce&biw=992&bih=539

Now that would be cool to see the airforce camo on the huey...

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I definitely know more about Dead Hooker-ology than I do military stuff!

I ran the antenna wire down the tail boom and it actually looks really good. Kind of surprised.

Dunno if I'll shoot pics or wait until I finish the rotor system. This project really came together!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Small update.

Aside from the sta-bar weights the entire rotor rotor system is ready to paint. After that's wrapped she's pretty much done, at least in a slick configuration. Dunno if i'm gonna weather it up. As you may or may not know Vietnam era paint is not CARC, and therefore grease, grime and oil clean right off as opposed to the staining a CARC finish has. Technically I should at least hit it with a satin clear coat but I'm pretty meh on the idea.

Might see about doing a bunch of C-ration cases to load in the back, along with some gerry cans. Anyhoo, just didn't want anyone thinking it was shelved or anything.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
That's looking spiffy. When I saw the first pic, I was like, Geebus, I hope he knows what he got himself into. But the details you've added and just the first flat coat turned that old bag lady into at least a streetwalker worth double-bagging. :D

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
She's come even further. I really need to get an updated pic.

I'm thinking of tackling his MiG-15bis, too. :D

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
An ungodly amount of work converting a 15 to a 17. If the PLAAF markings aren't damaged in the lengthy repair and cleaning process I'll leave it like that. If it cannae be salvaged I'll be throwing a bone to the Cobra fans and doing a fictional scheme.

How are the main gear broken? At the strut or the tiny pegs that pivot in the wing?

derek_001

Banned
Dec 12, 2011
Cordell, Oklahoma
An ungodly amount of work converting a 15 to a 17. If the PLAAF markings aren't damaged in the lengthy repair and cleaning process I'll leave it like that. If it cannae be salvaged I'll be throwing a bone to the Cobra fans and doing a fictional scheme.

How are the main gear broken? At the strut or the tiny pegs that pivot in the wing?

the pegs like always lol

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Ah, I've had to do a set of 190 gear like that, shouldn't be terrible to fix.