Warhammer 40,000

starwarsgeek

Self-explanatory
Aug 1, 2011
New Joisey
www.starwarsgeek.net
Anybody here collect/play W40K? It's funny because, while looking for tutorials and videos/books on painting and customizing, 99% of what I found was for miniatures. And after watching the videos for so long, it just got me interested in buying a few. And these things are WAY WORSE plastic crack than action figures, trust me. I started out buying a few things here and there, mostly larger pieces that would fit with 1:18 action figures. I used several W40K bits on my Ba'al custom figure.

Lately, I've been getting really into it. It's so much more fun and easier to collect these figures, vehicles, and terrain than to run from TRU to Target to WalMart to everyotherstorethatcarriestoys only to find NOTHING and come home empty handed. My interest in action figures has gone to almost zero and Toy Fair did almost nothing to change that. So the majority of my 'customizing' efforts (not to mention money, LOTS of money) have gone into W40K since around November/December of last year. I've amassed a decent size army of Space Marines and Chaos Marines... now I just to sit down and paint them.

I'm going to be doing my own custom chapters for both. For my Chaos Marines army, I'm working on an H. P. Lovecraft inspired army, and adding C'thulhu to the roster of Chaos gods. Lots of conversions, lots of little cast bits of C'thulhu heads and helmets. But it's been a lot of fun. For my Space Marines, I'm still working on something.

Just wondering if anyone else buys these, paints these, or plays this game.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
I've thought about playing it, but it's waaay too involved for my patience! On another note... I'd love to have 1;18th versions of them - but who wouldn't, right?

starwarsgeek

Self-explanatory
Aug 1, 2011
New Joisey
www.starwarsgeek.net
Yeah, I'm not sold on the "playing the game" part yet. I'm just going to paint these models and display them, or even just paint them and see what I can sell them for maybe. But I'll most likely just make some dioramas out of them and display them in my office or something. I've downloaded the rulebooks and the codex books for the armies and it seems like something that's beyond my simple brain to play.

1:18 versions of some of the parts has been on my mind for a while. I'm just not sure if the enlarging process will work going from that small of a scale up to 1:18.

The Willoughbian

Proletariat Art Threat
Jun 24, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Some of the people that paint this stuff are insanely good. It's amazing the detail they can get on such a small scale. I guess the painting competitions they throw for this stuff can get pretty fierce.

Dogarc

Magic Sky Daddy
Jan 12, 2013
Rocky Mount, Virginia
I have never owned any but I have played the computer games based on it called Dawn of War which is a real time strategy game. Another thing is that they have books that delve into the mythos that if anybody is interested in should definitly read. Of all the races I think my favorites are the Imperial Gaurd and Tau and their fire warriors.

Falcone

Green Beret
Feb 20, 2012
WI
I have no real interest in 40k, but I play Fantasy. I own hundreds of models that I've bought over the last 14 years.

Vindicare86

TANSTAAFL
Apr 4, 2011
Germantown, MD
I love 40k as a universe and for the models, but the game itself doesn't really appeal as much. I've got a Grey Knights army I've used a few times. I definitely enjoy the painting/collecting/customizing aspects more than the game itself, it just takes way too long to play and it gets crazy complicated sometimes.

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011
I was big into painting 40K miniatures more so than playing the game years ago. I painted a ton of Battletech mechs and Warhammer models as commissions back in college. I've had plans to make a 1:18 Imperial Assassin but still haven't gotten around to it.

I really got into Necromunda, the 40K gang war game. I had 4 sets to use for a huge 4x4 layout. We played a ton of it.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I thought about playing the game and collecting the minis. I once visited a Games Workshop store in Chicago and picked up one min...ONE. MINI. And it cost something like $8? This was years ago, so I assume the price has only gone up. Needless to say, after that, I lost interest.

But as Obi said, I'd LOVE to have 1:18th versions and I'm surprised none of the sculptors/castors out there haven't made such things available!!!

starwarsgeek

Self-explanatory
Aug 1, 2011
New Joisey
www.starwarsgeek.net
It all depends. Some of the single minis can run $25+ if they are HQ characters. It's definitely not a cheap hobby. I don't think many people here in the US are really into it, it's much much bigger overseas. But I know that GW is a serious force to be reckoned with when it comes to copyright infringement (they tried to copyright the name "Space Marine" for crying out loud, as generic as that is) so it's possible that no one wants to bother with it because of that.

Brickhead

Enlisted
May 9, 2014
Southern Maryland
www.flickr.com
You know what you ought to do to keep from spending a ton of money? Invest in Chaos Marines...make casts of all those parts over and over again. That sh*t is too damn expensive. I can't believe I used to buy that stuff and spend so much money on it and never ended up playing the game after all.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
If you enjoyed collecting and painting the minis, no need to feel bad about not playing the game. I love the 40k universe but have only bought one mini and a handful of books. I also used to play some computer game for it years and years ago...I think it had something to do with Space Hulk?

Annyway, it is what it is.

Vindicare86

TANSTAAFL
Apr 4, 2011
Germantown, MD
If you enjoyed collecting and painting the minis, no need to feel bad about not playing the game. I love the 40k universe but have only bought one mini and a handful of books. I also used to play some computer game for it years and years ago...I think it had something to do with Space Hulk?

Annyway, it is what it is.

Yep Space Hulk. And I'm the same way, I love the universe and painting/modelling, but the game has a lot less appeal. But that's mostly because it takes so long to play, and the rules are hella complex.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Tell me about it. That's one of the reasons I never really got into playing it, that, and there wasn't anyone in my small community that I knew of that played it.

Kinda hard to play a multi player game all by yourself.

Space Hulk, man I loved that computer game. I played the hell out of it. I REALLY loved the intro.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
There's a local comic book store in my town that is comprised of mainly miniature gaming pieces and paint. Where I've gone in there several times for paint, I've looked at the miniature painted pieces they have (they have a huge curio cabinet filled with painted pieces), and often find myself wanting to get some to paint. I don't believe I could care less for playing the game, but the pieces look phenomenal and look fun to paint. Not to mention... NO PAINT RUB WORRIES FOR JOINTS!

BotchB

The Unwashed
May 9, 2013
Deepest Derbyshire, UK
WE DO IT!

Yep, play GW WH40K with 1/18th scale figures... 'We' are a subset of the UK based Skirmish Wargames group. There are 5 or 6 of us who convert and paint the figures. We use any and all 1/18th figures as source material, fix them into position, base them and paint them.

If I could remember how, I would post some photos, or at least a link to some of our stuff on Photobucket. I need to check whether I already have some here - it's been a while since I checked in (family problems).

Just the other weekend 4 of us got together for a weekend working on ideas for figures, experimenting with modelling putties etc. One really good way to fill joints and narrow joins is with superglue and talcum powder for example!
We finished off the Saturday with a game of Zombicide - highly recommended - but it was with 28mm figures, sorry.

Have just returned to see I mentioned photos of what we have done, so I've added a link to a PhotBucket page with some WIP photos. Have yet to up-load shots of some finished figures.

Blood Pact Photos by MikeBlake | Photobucket

Last edited:

BotchB

The Unwashed
May 9, 2013
Deepest Derbyshire, UK
I put a link in my previous post by editing it but that doesn't seem to reanimate it so he's a new post with a couple of photos of a conversion to Imperial Guard. It is one of a HQ squad which I don't appear to have taken any photos of - crazy as it's one of may favourites.

Attachments

• 2nd paint 01.JPG
    2nd paint 01.JPG
    844.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    916.8 KB · Views: 15