What kind of radio does the OurWar Radio Ops use?

JMM82

Enlisted
Jul 15, 2011
St. Louis, Mo.
I'm curious to know what type of radio that the OurWar Radio Man carries, because it appears that the radio is small and placed in one of the pouches on the front of his vest with a large antenna in a folded position on his left shoulder, versus a manpack radio like the AN/PRC-117F that's carried on the back. What's a little confusing is that on the package for this figure, it shows the operator actually wearing a manpack radio with the antenna sticking up out of the back radio pouch.

I guess what I'm also asking is how authentic is the figure as far as WHERE he's wearing the radio? Do some U.S. military personnel carry a large radio in the front vest and others carry a manpack? And which radio has the stronger signal, if there is a difference? I don't understand why Teika just didn't make the figure wear a manpack radio in the first place.

Sorry for all the questions but I've never served in the military, just have an interest in collecting 1:18 scale G.I. Joe and other military figures.

I received the OurWar Radio Man figure yesterday in the mail and it's the first one I've ever gotten. I did a quick head swap and placed the 25th Anniversary Breaker head on it and it looks pretty decent.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I imagine it's a PRC-148. I don't have the figure to say for sure.

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
I think he's talking about the PRC-148.

The PRC-117 (if I remember correctly, it's been a bit) had been replaced by the 119, which is being replaced by something else (again, I've been out of the S-6 for a while). I can't remember what bands in the VHF range they operate in, but I know the 148 can communicate with the 117/119, and I know we have both models in the S-6.

I believe the 148 is meant for intra-squad/vehicle communications, where as the 117/119 can communicate up to the Battalion and Regiment level.

Again, do a wiki search on it, I'm going from memory here.

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
I guess what I'm also asking is how authentic is the figure as far as WHERE he's wearing the radio? Do some U.S. military personnel carry a large radio in the front vest and others carry a manpack?.

Radio Operators will place their equipment generally where its comfortable.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yup ^^^

Dunno WHAT I'm gonna do for Dial Tone radio-wise.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Ha!

I'd like to use a PRC-25, but the only one I know of is the Build-A-Rama one. Probably use Bombstrike's hand-held in conjunction with something else.

JMM82

Enlisted
Jul 15, 2011
St. Louis, Mo.
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!

From what I was told, Dial Tone's manpack radio was based off the AN-PRC-104, which was the radio of the day back in the mid 1980s when that figure was first released.

I bought another OurWar radio man figure off of ebay today and will place Dial Tone's head on that figure to give him an updated uniform and equipment.

Not only do I enjoy collecting G.I. Joe and Cobra figures but I also enjoy researching the weapons and equipment that they use. Makes things more interesting if you have an understanding of what they carry.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Reckon he gets good reception when he calls those fetish phone sex lines with that thing?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Nothing in his filecard about manly Ranger School.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Sure as hell missed that. Probably a good thing that I care not for silly canon.

He sure is a low speed, high drag one.

rds13601

A Waste of Space!!!!
Aug 2, 2011
Biggest dump on earth
Last edited: