Yetibrew 3D printing

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I don't think the idea is gonna take off until affordable home printers are made available.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Yeah, something's gotta change in the business model and big-time before I can see it really working. Interesting to see someone trying, though.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
One day you'll got to a site like SDS, buy a file and download it, then print it in the comfort of your home.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I remember formerPaul talking about this extensively.. seems like a great idea in concept, but those prices are very prohibitive. I wonder how much all the parts costs to get an operation like that up and running..

Wild weasel

needs killer whale parts!
Jun 9, 2011
I can imagine this working out very soon, in like 5 years this will be used much more. I've seen in hand a piece done up from one of these and was used for either nasa on the shuttle or the armed forces(forgot which, but whateva :)) and it was AMAZING. This was a bearing, which was basically a ring with a a gap filled in with little balls(like bb's) then a bigger ring. It was amazing, as the balls aloud for the parts to move, and it was a very smooth movement and durable. The most intrigueing part is that it was made up as one part; from the basic system of what this guy used; for all the "balls" and rings, all of it together at the same time, not made in seperate pieces.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Like K-tiger said, if you could pay a couple bucks and download a template for a gun or something and print it out at home, that'd be amazing.

But that'd require quality 3D printers to be $100 items, with the materials also costing a low amount.

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
I'd say it's mostly for hobbyists. I can't think of too many uses my wife would have for it. Making forks maybe?

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
Beads? (Crafting, not anal.. but come to think of it..) Other.. crafty.. things..

I'd have to see the dimensions it can create I suppose.

I'd go for one that could pop out 1/18 su-27/ variants...

but yeah, it'd only work for small stuff(humvee or smaller) at a reasonable cost in the future. One things, is it'd have to use different colors including clear...

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
They work in 2 ways. One that carves from a solid block, if I'm not mistaken, and one that actually prints resin with a type of glue.

At least the latter is what we had at college like 10 years ago. Very close up, it looked like it was terraced, in thin sheets. I imagine the "resolution" has improved, but you could very visibly see the layers that it "printed" out.

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
They work in 2 ways. One that carves from a solid block, if I'm not mistaken, and one that actually prints resin with a type of glue.

At least the latter is what we had at college like 10 years ago. Very close up, it looked like it was terraced, in thin sheets. I imagine the "resolution" has improved, but you could very visibly see the layers that it "printed" out.

yep. The bearing I saw had the little lines from layers, but it was cast in a solid block. I read like 3 years back in a plastic modelling magazine(finescale modeller to be exact) about somebody who did like one or two 1/48 dio pieces for a 1/48 P-47 dio, and it was the layer, where it was one layer, then the next etc. The layers are almost like a book with the pages, but bigger and deeper, thats just the best example I could think of off hand.

The Ewokhunter

Crazyass Cracker
Mar 14, 2011
thingsatwistedewokwouldsay.blogspot.com
shit, this is OLD technology. I remember them talking about this many moons ago (back when I was in high school 90-92 ish) and even had a pizza one where someone ordered a pizza, and their printer would make it using the ingredients in the printer.

Forensics reformed an old skull using this method as well.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Yeah, that same layer printing is the exact same as the forensics skull-rebuilding. They usually do it from x-rays, if I'm not mistaken, then they reprint the scan, layer by layer. Same process.

The Ewokhunter

Crazyass Cracker
Mar 14, 2011
thingsatwistedewokwouldsay.blogspot.com
but like everything

cheaper to make and bring to the masses. for example

Then and expensive

Now and cheaper

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Isnt the initial cost on new Tech usually to cover the money spent on the R and D, than the price drops once that is made up. If that is indeed the case, We need rich people and/or companies to buy them now so the price drops in the future. If that doesnt happen, no new R and D money to make the tech cheaper to produce either.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
A couple of months ago, I revealed to the Joe community a great new custom parts service called Yetibrew Design, and showcased a “Dragonfly Upgrade Kitâ€￾ that seemed to get some pretty good response.

Well, as the infomercial says, “That’s not all!â€￾

Ian, proprietor of Yetibrew sends along word that his Dragonfly Upgrade Kit has spawned some cool new items, such as â€￾…small (7 round) and large (19 round) rocket pods as well as a land mine dispenser with removable mines and a two part gatling gun assembly which is based on a gatling pod used on AH1 helicopters in Vietnam.â€￾

He has also adapted a rocket pod for use with the awesome Pursuit of Cobra Ghost Hawk vehicle! Images of these items can be seen below:

If you want to check out the Dragonfly parts, click here.

But…wait for it… â€￾that’s not all!â€￾ Yetibrew has something else big in the wings that a lot of fans seemed to indicate a desire for. Many fans have wondered why the HISS Tank has a clear glass canopy. Well, Ian wants to change that. He doesn’t have the actual model done yet, but he has sent along some beautiful renders for an armored canopy for your vintage HISS. This thing looks awesome! Check out the images for that below:

How freaking cool is that? Man. Seems like the sky is the limit with this stuff. Bad ass. Head over there and spend some money! If we can show that this stuff is viable, there could be some even better stuff down the road.

I'm not posting pics, though.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
That gun pod is cool, too bad it's probably too small for any 1:18 applications.