[Contest] Custom Games

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
oh... I gots an idea...

If we're creating our own thread, could we create the thread, say now.. and catalog the creation from WIP to finished product?

I can't answer that one. I'm tempted to say yes, and it would certainly be cool to see the progress, and 'as long as it's not shown anywhere else yadda yadda..' but I'll have to defer to MW on the ruling of this, too.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Posted it on 8/17

http://www.fighting118th.com/forum/showpost.php?p=210324&postcount=994

Like I said, no big deal... just wondering if I can finish him in time if he would be viable for that contest...

He is eligible for the Contest!

Good Luck

I'm not familiar with the Hunger Games (yet, can you believe it..........)
Any rules on the type of weapons? Martial arts only, guns (real life or sci-fi), throwing stuff (ninja stars, flashbangs, caltrops etc). If guns are not allowed, how about bow/arrow or crossbow?
Can the entries have super powers or should everyone be as equal as a normal human being? Even then, are aliens or half-breeds allowed?

I know, a lot of different stuff. Just trying to find out what can be used and what not.
Great initiative though, an inspiring contest!

Any type of weapons are allowed. Like XOC referenced, it would be a best practice to make sure the Warrior can carry/support all weapons.

All voting will be done by Public Members and I think it's pretty safe to assume that people won't vote for a Duke that has 17 assault rifles :D

Super Powers can be added to your character in the Bio section. Again, remember that it will be a public vote.

Great Questions!

Let me know if you have more.

So you could enter a modified Iron Man figure, then? :)

Sure!

Like I mentioned above, it will be public voting. Maybe you should go with Batman instead ;)

oh... I gots an idea...

If we're creating our own thread, could we create the thread, say now.. and catalog the creation from WIP to finished product?

I'm ok with this. However I need a separate thread for the finished product. I don't want to shuffle through 16 pages of a thread to find a contest entry when it's time to put the bracket together.

I always believe it's a best practice to have a WIP thread and then create a new thread for the finished item anyway. That's just my opinion though as I know some people think it "clutters the board".

Let me know if you have any other questions.

TheVP

Enlisted
Jan 2, 2013
that's an awesome idea for a contest...I'm working something up for sure!

Do the photos need to be made on a plain background or can the be displayed on a dio to give it a little scenery?

Last edited:

XOC2008

Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL

Do the photos need to be made on a plain background or can the be displayed on a dio to give it a little scenery?

I don't think that matters as long as you have at least 3 pictures highlighting JUST the figure being entered. So inside, outside, dio shot, plain lightbox shot, whatever.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com

right on bro. I too think its OK to photo however. I just wouldn't put any other figures in the pics.

Great question!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I would think this would be a contest you'd want to hold off submitting your figure until last minute...don't want to reveal your cards too soon...

XOC2008

Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
I would think this would be a contest you'd want to hold off submitting your figure until last minute...don't want to reveal your cards too soon...

No. No Eddieing. Don't listen to Eddie. He breaks the forum and tells lies and tries to have sex with you. And then he leaves you in the morning and never calls.. even though he says he will. And then one day you're out having lunch, and you see him across the street. With someone else. And all the heartbreak and betrayal come rushing back. And then you feel compelled to buy a sniper rifle and go climb the bell tower and start practicing target shooting with live targets. And then.. erm.. wait. What was I saying?

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
No. No Eddieing. Don't listen to Eddie. He breaks the forum and tells lies and tries to have sex with you. And then he leaves you in the morning and never calls.. even though he says he will. And then one day you're out having lunch, and you see him across the street. With someone else. And all the heartbreak and betrayal come rushing back. And then you feel compelled to buy a sniper rifle and go climb the bell tower and start practicing target shooting with live targets. And then.. erm.. wait. What was I saying?

Best post of the day.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
My figures' power is he can't die, he can't be hurt, and he won't stop fighting until he kills whatever opponent he's facing. So that means I just win then right? RIGHT?

sounds like your making a Doomsday Terminator :D

The subject in question was biologically engineered to be the ultimate soldier. Precise, clinical, unstoppable. But its creators came to realize, could not distinguish between friend and foe. Thus, this doomsday machine lives to extinguish any and all life forms, because it must.

It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011

Sweet!

I don't think that matters as long as you have at least 3 pictures highlighting JUST the figure being entered. So inside, outside, dio shot, plain lightbox shot, whatever.

This^^

right on bro. I too think its OK to photo however. I just wouldn't put any other figures in the pics.

Great question!

and This^^

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(

Yeah, so...why don't you cry about it...

My figures' power is he can't die, he can't be hurt, and he won't stop fighting until he kills whatever opponent he's facing. So that means I just win then right? RIGHT?

Nah, it means you'll get voted away if it looks like a$$...:D

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Just a FYI to everybody. Starting this weekend and early next week, I will be posting this Contest at other sites to try and generate some outside interest. Maybe spruce up the competition.

All entries will have to be submitted on Fighting118th of course.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Front Page bump:

http://forums.fighting118th.com/showthread.php?t=5924

Along with the debut of this epic Banner created by our very own Beeavision!

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Is there a thread with all of the customs collected to browse? Instead of filtering through the sub-forum.

not right now. I did consider that but it would have the same effect with people discussing them and derailing the thread with usual chatter. Also I didn't want to have to go through a 50+ page thread to find all the entries in November.

As of right now we only have a few entries.

Having people label their thread with "Custom Games" should help.

I will however create a thread closer to the deadline and place all the entries in it. Most likely keeping it closed so people can't "bump" it. We'll use that thread to help identify the entries and set up the bracket.

Joerhyno

Enlisted
Aug 18, 2012
What about linking all the threads in the first post here in this thread, as they post them, you can edit the first post, with JoeScmoe's Custom Game Entry and then list them at the end of the first post.. maybe quote that part as an update post here to remind people as more people enter. or something like that.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
What about linking all the threads in the first post here in this thread, as they post them, you can edit the first post, with JoeScmoe's Custom Game Entry and then list them at the end of the first post.. maybe quote that part as an update post here to remind people as more people enter. or something like that.

That is a good idea. I want to keep the first post just about the rules and regulations though.

I will consider creating the entry thread sooner than planned however. Then I'll add a link to that thread.

CrotchKnockerX

Cobra Tinkerer
Sep 7, 2013
Jacksonville Florida USA
I some what looked on here on how to sign up for the contest and still not sure what to do to sign up. If you could let me know that would be great.
Also, Is there a JetFire in the prizes?
Thanks

XOC2008

Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Custom GamesRules:

1. Create a custom 1:18th scale figure

2. Must be a "new" figure. Figure can't be a custom already displayed on the site or any other site. Figure needs to be created for the Contest.

3. Figures will be placed in a Tournament Bracket and fight to the death until we have a winner

4. Figures will be randomly selected for the bracket

5. Each winner of the battle will be decided via a public poll

6. You may only enter 1 figure for the contest

6a. We need a even amount of entries for the bracket to work. You may submit a second entry to be considered a "alternate". If alternates are needed, they will be selected at random.

7. You must create your own thread titled *User's Custom Games Entry*

8. Must have at least 3 Separate Photos of the figure in your entry thread

9. Custom figure must have a name or codename and a short bio

10. Contest runs from August 15th - November 1st

11. All entries must be submitted by Midnight Central Time November 1st

12. Voting starts November 10th

Any Violation of these rules will result in a Disqualification

I some what looked on here on how to sign up for the contest and still not sure what to do to sign up. If you could let me know that would be great.
Also, Is there a JetFire in the prizes?
Thanks

The rules explain though not in extreme detail. Create a new figure, that has not been seen anywhere else, and in one of the custom sections, post at least 3 pictures of the figure, a name or codename, and a short bio. The thread needs to be titled "YOURNAMEHERE'S Custom Games Entry".

Yes, it's a complete SDCC set.